Satellite Reception Issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

kruss77

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Fenton, MI
I just started having trouble with satellite reception. Now some channels are pixilated whiles others are fine. I haven’t changed or added anything to my system and have been running it as-is for 3 years now. However, I now have low or no signal on 4 transponders.

Following are the problem transducers and their signal strength (all others are at a signal strength of 80 or higher):

Sat 101
T28: 32

Sat 119
T23: 0
T31: 67

Sat 110
T8: 73

Here re the details of my system:

3 Hughes HDVR2 DVRs
2 RCA DTV Receivers
5x8 multiswitch
Oval 3 LNB dish mounted on south gable end of house.

Any help would be appreciated.

I had the same thing, I had D* out to realign the dish and install a slimline dish (I had the big 1st generation 5lnb dish) no problems since. Also the tech said I might have had ice/water /condensation damage inside the LNB (I guess the slimline has a new style to help prevent this). I also have heard that some of the transponders are OK to show "0".....But I don't have the same receivers as you do (I have HR20 & H20) or Dish.

I would agree that it is most likely a Transponder/LNB problem. You may be lucky to find a replacement assembly online and swap it out yourself (if you feel safe in doing so and don't have the Protection Plan). If you plan on getting a new DVR (even though I liked the Hughes ones myself) it would be a good time to call and order one since the dish would be included without having to pay the $79.95 service call.

I doubt its a transponder issue as that would affect us all, likely the LNB or multi-switch; could even be the RG6 connectors.

FYI, TP28 on 101 and TP23 and TP 31 on 119 are spot beams. Perfectly normal for those to be low or zero if they don't service your locale.

I just started having trouble with satellite reception. Now some channels are pixilated whiles others are fine.

Following are the problem transducers and their signal strength (all others are at a signal strength of 80 or higher):

Sat 101
T28: 32

Sat 119
T23: 0
T31: 67

Sat 110
T8: 73

What is you DMA and what channels are you having issues with? (name and chnl #)

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I climbed up there last night for about an hour and did the "...can you see it now" thing with the wife, with no improvement in signal strength. After ACE98 suggested that my LNB might be bad, I inspected it whilst up on the ladder and noticed that it DID look a bit weathered (although, how much can you really tell on these things without a ton of diagnostic equipment?). Just in case, I ordered a new one (cheap solution @ ~$15.00) in order to eliminate it as a possibility. Regardless, my re-aiming efforts made no appreciable improvement in reception on ANY of the transponders even though I made some finite aiming refinements. My sightline compass and elevation protractor gave me even more confidence than ever that I’ve got this thing aimed properly. Since this problem just started a few months ago, perhaps it is the LNB head. Or could it be a problem with my Eagle Aspen 5x8 multi switch?

CHARPER1, I'll provide the DMA and channel breakdown later when I get home.

Thanks again guys!

Ken

Well, I checked out which channels were disrupted and which ones were fine, but it was different on each of my 3 TV’s (DVR’s). I found that a bit unusual. Shouldn’t all three DVR’s have the same problem IF this is a dish aiming issue (which I suspect it isn’t since I re-aimed the dish on Sunday afternoon with no change in reception)? Since each DVR is experiencing a disruption of different channels, does that again point back to a potential problem with either my LNB or multi-switch?

Thanks again guys!

Ken

Installed the replacement triple LNB today with no improvement in signal strength. Still have the same problem. Time to test the 5x8 Eagle-Aspen mutli-switch.

Anyone out there ever have any problems with their mutli-switch?

I've had switches go bad before. If your problem happens on different channels and on all receivers, it may be the switch, or loss in a wire somewhere. Visually inspect the wire to make sure there are no frays, bad connections, etc. Then try a new switch.

Kruss,
You haven't upgraded to the new HD mpeg4 rec's yet, along with the 5 LNB set up ?

Do you realize how many HD channels you are missing this way ?

Jimbo

Masterdeals:

I've traced all of the wires to confirm good connections and haven't found anything out of the ordinary. Also, each of our three DVR's now has problems on at-least one channel. However, that wasn't always the case. The problem started on one DVR, then another, and has now spread to the third -which is why I now suspect the multi-switch. It's an Eagle-Aspen which is a pretty good brand. However, nothing's perfect. If I were to upgrade to the mpeg-4 compatible switch, what would be a good model and brand to consider?

Jimbo:

I've been anguishing over the decision to switch to HD for some time. My problem is that I've got 3 SD DirecTIVOs networked together with hacked software and everything works perfectly (and we love the multi-room-viewing (MRV) feature: recording on one DVR and watching that recording on one of the other DVR's). To compound things, the wife just asked me to get rid of the rear projection TV in favor of a flat panel that takes up less space. This, of-course, has opened the door to a Hi-Def TV purchase -which has made the upgrade decision more excruciating. Unfortunately, as I understand it, DTV HD DVR's don't presently support MRV which we've grown to depend on (we’re lazy and like to watch TV in bed). In order to plan for the eventual HD upgrade, I’ve started researching HD equipment needs and am planning on making the jump to the 5 LNB dish in the near future (which I understand still works on SD setups). However, the ultimate changeover to HD may still be some time off (at least until MRV arrives on the HD DVR’s).

Ken

Masterdeals:

I've traced all of the wires to confirm good connections and haven't found anything out of the ordinary. Also, each of our three DVR's now has problems on at-least one channel. However, that wasn't always the case. The problem started on one DVR, then another, and has now spread to the third -which is why I now suspect the multi-switch. It's an Eagle-Aspen which is a pretty good brand. However, nothing's perfect. If I were to upgrade to the mpeg-4 compatible switch, what would be a good model and brand to consider?

Jimbo:

I've been anguishing over the decision to switch to HD for some time. My problem is that I've got 3 SD DirecTIVOs networked together with hacked software and everything works perfectly (and we love the multi-room-viewing (MRV) feature: recording on one DVR and watching that recording on one of the other DVR's). To compound things, the wife just asked me to get rid of the rear projection TV in favor of a flat panel that takes up less space. This, of-course, has opened the door to a Hi-Def TV purchase -which has made the upgrade decision more excruciating. Unfortunately, as I understand it, DTV HD DVR's don't presently support MRV which we've grown to depend on (we’re lazy and like to watch TV in bed). In order to plan for the eventual HD upgrade, I’ve started researching HD equipment needs and am planning on making the jump to the 5 LNB dish in the near future (which I understand still works on SD setups). However, the ultimate changeover to HD may still be some time off (at least until MRV arrives on the HD DVR’s).

Ken

There was talk of a product that was going to do that(whole house set up), but at the time they had to get the HD DVR to the market first, unfortunatly I have heard little about it since.

Q. Whats so hard about having a rec. in each needed room ?

You won't regret making the change to HD, when you do you will get free installation (providing you don't have anything too awefully complicated going on) they will run 2 lines to each DVR, so you can watch and record seperatly, until the SWM (single wire multiswitch) comes out.
The 5 lnb dish will allow you to enjoy ALL the HD channels they have and future addtions.
As for the multiswitch, they new stuff with the 5 lnb set up is a WB 6x8 or 616 depending on what you need and that is free as well.

btw, many of us like to do our own installs, I've done all of mine for years now, but let them do this one (HD), mainly so I could see if it was much different than the older set ups and it's not too much.
However, if I let them do it all, it was free otherwise if I had to buy the stuff it would cost me $ 100 for the dish and $ 70 for the MS (prices are from back when I set up a few years ago)

Also get the protection plan as well if you don't already have it , it covers everything incase you ever have problems. ie. Dish get out of adjustment, rec. decides to act up, with the PP you call them, they isolate it and replace it.

Jimbo

Well, I finally got around to installing the replacement multi-switch (Zinwell WB68) with no improvement in reception on those channels that we've been having trouble with (although, the old Eagle-Aspen switch being replaced was almost too hot to touch without gloves -curious). This is all too frustrating as this problem only just started and neither a new LNB nor a new multi switch have helped. Looks like it's back up on the ladder to check the dish aim for the third time.

Ken

Is the new switch getting hot also? Usually a hot switch is a sign of a receiver backfeeding into the systen. It could very well be one of the irds thats not having any problems. Try removing the receivers from the system one at a time to check for this.

Is the new switch getting hot also?

I'll check.

Usually a hot switch is a sign of a receiver backfeeding into the systen.?

What is the significance of that (backfeeding)?

It could very well be one of the irds thats not having any problems.

Sorry? Again please.

Try removing the receivers from the system one at a time to check for this.?

I will try removing one receiver at a time. Should I see an improvement in the signal coming from the switch -OR- will the switch simply not get as hot (in other words: how do I verify that it's one of the receivers?)

Have you at any time disconetced any receiver while it was still plugged in?

I don't specifically recall, but I am extremely lazy! Is that significant?

Ken

I'll check.

What is the significance of that (backfeeding)?

The receivers send a voltage and a control frequency back through the cable to the LNB/Multiswitch assembly. This controls which satellite and which transponders are sent back to the receiver, which is how the receiver gets the signal necessary to show the channel you've selected.

When the receiver is backfeeding to the multiswitch, it means it is sending too much voltage back through the line. The voltages involved should be either 13VDC or 18VDC.

Sorry? Again please.

I will try removing one receiver at a time. Should I see an improvement in the signal coming from the switch -OR- will the switch simply not get as hot (in other words: how do I verify that it's one of the receivers?)

If it's one of the receivers, your signal problems should go away and the multiswitch should be cooler to the touch.

I don't specifically recall, but I am extremely lazy! Is that significant?
It can be. If the receiver is powered up when you disconnect the sat feed, it is possible to short across the center conductor and send a spike back through the line to the switch/LNB. If that happened, it probably fried the port on the multiswitch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)