Status
Please reply by conversation.

Richinald

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 31, 2015
Aruba
Hello,

I would like to request if there might be a satellite user that would be able to test out a satellite broadcast
that is on Power VU, since the information on several other satellite sites are not accurate or outdated maybe a satellite user can test to confirm these two receptions and which reception is the strongest during testing.

The satellite information is:
# 1
CNN en Espanol (Turner Mux)
Intelsat 11 @ 43.1 degrees west C-Band
4040 H DVB-S Mpeg 2
30800 FEC 7/8
(Power VU)

# 2
CNN en Espanol (Turner Mux)
Galaxy 14 @ 125.0 degrees west C-Band
3820 V DVB-S2 8PSK Mpeg 4
3000 FEC 3/4
(Power VU)

This is only for testing if these frequencies are active and there is reception of the broadcast , this information would help us that we can proceed with a project for receiving this news service from CNN and following all the procedures for receiving a broadcast.

Thanks in advance !

AFAIK anything that's PowerVu encrypted isn't FTA, it's all subscription only, and requires a 'special' PowerVu receiver. (unless they 'unscramble' for unknown technical reasons for a short time)
Looking at Satbeams.com, either should be a fairly stout signal if it's on the 'beam' that covers Aruba, although 3/4 FEC is easier than 7/8. But 7/8 shouldn't have a problem with a 10 ft BUD. What's 'strongest' here may in no way determine what's strongest in Aruba but 3820 @ 125.0W IS active/encrypted. I cannot move my BUD to 43W because of mechanical issues.
Think that if you contact cnnespanol directly they'd have all the info, or could direct you to it, on which satellite would be better (and subscription/equipment availability).

I get 12 channels, which all appear to be CNN that are all encrypted on this one. 75% Q with my Winegard system and the Micro HD.

Intelsat 11 @ 43.1 degrees west C-Band
4040 H DVB-S Mpeg 2

82% Q on 3820 on 125w.

Thanks for all the feedback provided regarding the reception question of CNN en Español, Recently the dish and equipment was installed and went fine, just had a strange reception issue on CNN's satellite Intelsat 11, the reception is good, but at sudden times of the day the BER (Bit Error Rate) on the Power Vu receiver would suddenly go down to 0 and jump fast back to high at normal rate of 7 to 9 and this would cause the reception to start dragging or loosing the video reception for a couple of seconds.
The sat tech's did adjust inclination and declination on the dish and a low loss coax was installed and it improved the reception level , but still we would get this weird reception issue at certain times of the day, one scenario we did not rule out yet was changing the LNB with another LNB that has a higher gain.
The dish is a Kaul-Tronics mesh type 10 ft dish prime focus
Maybe there might a be a fellow forum member that has experienced a similar issue in the past ? Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks

Has the technician viewed the signal with a spectrum analyzer during these events? If distribution and equipment failures have been ruled out, it is likely to be caused by intermittent RF interference such as terrestrial links, radio, radar, etc. This local interference can directly affect the downlink frequency, be on a harmonic frequency or simply overload the LNB or tuner. If the interference can be identified, a filter might be installed in the waveguide to attenuate specific frequencies.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Thank You for the message, the signal has been viewed with a digital satellite meter all the times the dish was tuned, strength and quality are running at the LNB almost side to side, they are measuring as should, but just this rare occurrence happens on a intermittent cycle just during certain times of the day, but definitively would look if there might be any additional RF interference in the spectrum, at the facility there are 2 other dishes hooked up on FTA receivers (not power-vu) and these receivers does not exhibit any intermittent problems and are working fine ,but will follow the advice given to check for RF Interference.

Maybe more simple? Can dishes be swapped so the signal can be viewed down-linked from another dish/feedhorn/distribution? Can receivers be swapped? This would provide helpful troubleshooting information.

Good Luck!

I would like to thank everyone for their input and suggestions of the satellite question, as well thank you for all the suggestions provided for correcting the intermittent problem we had at first hand with reception, it turned out to be that the LNB had to be replaced with another one with a higher gain.
After replacing the LNB the reception is running smooth for almost a month with no trouble.
Thanks to everyone for their support !

Reactions: KE4EST
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts