Satellite Signal Finders

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
I've been looking at the wide variety of Satellite Signal finders from the $449.00 Birddog, to tiny hand held meter types @ approx $20.00 with an analog scale. Can anyone tell me which one they would recommend? This is for a 1 meter dish currently without motor that I want to point at different satelites.

Personally I think the best signal finder is a little TV (13" or smaller) at the dish site. No better way to see the quality of your signal than with an actual picture and sound.

I use one I got off of ebay for about $10 shipped, and it get's me there pretty well, but I still need to sometimes "tune" it a bit better. It is one of the inline ones with the little pen meter with sound.

Im just an amature but have peaked several small dishes with an SF-95. I bought it off Ebay. But I have to agree with Sidekick, best way is with a TV.
Nothing beats the actuall picture and sound.

Best Regards

TV...easier to see the meter and if you have a bvox with a spazzy meter on it (like my Pansat 1500) :) it works much better than the simple meters.

My Pansat I know when I'm in the neighborhood because the signal strength goes up and down. If you're near the satellite but too high or low, the meter shows like 85 signal...as soon as you fine tune, it drops to 73-74 and quality goes up

Thats how I aim my C-Band now. Aim it in general area and signal goes up to 79 when I'm close and once you get quality, the strength drops and quality goes up :)

Quality is what you need

Those cheap meters helps you get close enough to the satellite then when you hit it you peak it with the meter from the satellite receiver on the tv screen. The handheld meter helps you find the satellite, the tv screen meter helps you peak it. If you have something called a satellite signal identifier it will tell you which satellite you are on and a more accurate signal strength without the need of the tv or satellite receiver hooked up.

Those cheap meters helps you get close enough to the satellite then when you hit it you peak it with the meter from the satellite receiver on the tv screen. The handheld meter helps you find the satellite, the tv screen meter helps you peak it. If you have something called a satellite signal identifier it will tell you which satellite you are on and a more accurate signal strength without the need of the tv or satellite receiver hooked up.

Thanks Stargazer can I ask what manufacturer or satellite signal identifier are you talkiing about here? For example is it a Birddog etc??

jsattv

If you are not going to do many installations, I don't see a need a for a professional meter like the Birdog or the SatHawk.

The SF95 signal meter should be enough if you learn how it works and how to use it. For aligning a motorized dish, you should use the USALS capability of the receiver to move the dish to the satellite. Then you can fine tune with the meter (I would use DSS signals since the meter will naturally pull you towards it as it is much stronger than normal KU FTA signal).

I use the SF-95 to get me in the area, and then I can fine tune via the receiver. Sadoun gave away a nice sat finder meter kit when I purchased my setup from them this spring. Check them out, they may still have that deal :)

I've used the cheap meters with the needle for years on installations and that is what I recommend for those that just need it for one time use or just once in a great while. It makes more sense to get the more expensive meter if you do more installations or on the road a lot and want to make it easier setting up the satellite.

I've been looking at the wide variety of Satellite Signal finders from the $449.00 Birddog, to tiny hand held meter types @ approx $20.00 with an analog scale. Can anyone tell me which one they would recommend? This is for a 1 meter dish currently without motor that I want to point at different satelites.

When I started in FTA several years ago, I only had two antenns and the ten dollar signal meter worked just fine. But as I began to experiment and search for other birds, that little signal meter just would not cut it.
As my FTA antenna farm grew to eight antennas, I invested in the 450 dollar Birdog satellite finder. Yes it's a lot of bucks buit WELL WORTH IT!
It makes zeroing in on that bird a lot faster and you don't spend any time tweeking the antenna to get zeroed in. Just my 2 cents.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)