Satellite signal lost

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

RedWings

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Leesburg, VA
So I just installed a new LNB (DP Twin) and a DP33 switch to my current setup because I wanted to add a 3rd receiver (VIP 211k).

Since then my VIP 722 has given me the "satellite signal lost" error once yesterday and now once today. It says its searching for signal then gives me an error. If I do a check switch, it says Currently doing test #1 of 38. After that it gives me a reception error and still no signal.

I'll reboot the 722, do a check switch, and then everything is back to normal. My other two receivers (old 622 and new 211k) are not giving me any problems at all.

Any thoughts?

So I just installed a new LNB (DP Twin) and a DP33 switch to my current setup because I wanted to add a 3rd receiver (VIP 211k).

Since then my VIP 722 has given me the "satellite signal lost" error once yesterday and now once today. It says its searching for signal then gives me an error. If I do a check switch, it says Currently doing test #1 of 38. After that it gives me a reception error and still no signal.

I'll reboot the 722, do a check switch, and then everything is back to normal. My other two receivers (old 622 and new 211k) are not giving me any problems at all.

Any thoughts?

Well, the check switch test reporting 1 of 38 is a legacy matrix that it's running. It is not hooked up correctly. If you're running a DP33 (Odd because this just came out) you ought to be getting Test 1 of 3 in a check switch matrix with the equipment that you're running. I would check your cable connections first as it isn't reading a DP switch.

Well, the check switch test reporting 1 of 38 is a legacy matrix that it's running. It is not hooked up correctly. If you're running a DP33 (Odd because this just came out) you ought to be getting Test 1 of 3 in a check switch matrix with the equipment that you're running. I would check your cable connections first as it isn't reading a DP switch.

Well after I reboot and do a check switch (at least yesterday), it gave me the Testing 1 of 3 and then back to normal.

Today it gave me the 1 of 38. I rebooted and again its giving me 1 of 38.

I'm going to double check my lines to make sure they are run right. But I don't think they are wrong since the other 2 receivers are working just fine.

Use a different port on the DPP33 to feed the 722, see if the problem moves to another receiver. To me, it sounds like a bad cable, bad connector, or not an approved barrel connector.

Use a different port on the DPP33 to feed the 722, see if the problem moves to another receiver. To me, it sounds like a bad cable, bad connector, or not an approved barrel connector.

Sound advice as well. Make sure all of your cabling/connectors are rated to at least 2150MHz preferably 3ghz if you're using good quality RG-6.

Setup before I started messing with it:

VIP 722 - Port #1 (receiver giving me issues)
VIP 622 - Port #2
VIP 211k - Port #3

I switched the 722 to port #3 and the 211k to port #1. I then did a check switch on the 211k and everything is fine.

I rebooted the 722 and did a check switch. It seems to be ok again. It is showing the switch as a DPP33 w/seperator like it should. Then again, it did this same exact thing yesterday after a few reboots.

So my guess is its the cable/connectors between the switch and the 722. The cable I cut to length and installed twist on F connectors for RG6.

VIP 622 - Port #2
VIP 211k - Port #3

I switched the 722 to port #3 and the 211k to port #1. I then did a check switch on the 211k and everything is fine.

I rebooted the 722 and did a check switch. It seems to be ok again. It is showing the switch as a DPP33 w/seperator like it should. Then again, it did this same exact thing yesterday after a few reboots.

So my guess is its the cable/connectors between the switch and the 722. The cable I cut to length and installed twist on F connectors for RG6.

So are you still connected to port 3 with the 722? If you are and this same issue reoccurs, switch 622 and 722 locations, run a check switch. If the problem follows the receiver, you know the culprit (the receiver). If the problem doesn't reoccur it's either the switch itself or something in line. I'd keep this set up for a few days just to test out the functionality and if the problem can be duplicated. Again, if it follows the receiver, it's obviously the receiver. If you replace the line completely and all cable connectors between making sure (as stated) everything is up to code, then it's the switch malfunctioning.

So are you still connected to port 3 with the 722? If you are and this same issue reoccurs, switch 622 and 722 locations, run a check switch. If the problem follows the receiver, you know the culprit (the receiver). If the problem doesn't reoccur it's either the switch itself or something in line. I'd keep this set up for a few days just to test out the functionality and if the problem can be duplicated. Again, if it follows the receiver, it's obviously the receiver. If you replace the line completely and all cable connectors between making sure (as stated) everything is up to code, then it's the switch malfunctioning.

Yes i'm still connected to port #3 with the 722. I am going to swap out the cable/connectors tonight and then monitor it. If it (722) gives me trouble again, i'm going to switch it over to port #2 and monitor it. If the same trouble happens, i'll either look at swapping out the switch or getting different connectors.

by the way, where can I buy approved connectors? Home depot?

Yes i'm still connected to port #3 with the 722. I am going to swap out the cable/connectors tonight and then monitor it. If it (722) gives me trouble again, i'm going to switch it over to port #2 and monitor it. If the same trouble happens, i'll either look at swapping out the switch or getting different connectors.

by the way, where can I buy approved connectors? Home depot?

Home Depot does carry some GE end connectors and I believe they also carry quite a few brands of compression end connectors. Be careful if you're crimping, I wouldn't suggest doing this. RadioShack & Frys also carry approved connectors. If you go to RadioShack and advise them you have DishNet usually they'll easily be able to show you the products you need.

I would leave the switch itself as is right now and focus on figuring out whether or not the receiver itself is causing the issue as this is the one thing of which you have no control. Leave the current setup at the switch alone, move the 722 and if the problem occurs on the 722 again the issue can easily be resolved by replacing the 722. If the problem seems to switch locations sporadically, it's the switch. If the problem stays in the room with the 722 it's either the switch or the cable/connectors :) Hope this helps.

Just remember 2150mhz is the lowest grade possible for the full range.

"The cable I cut to length and installed twist on F connectors for RG6"

I think this might be your problem. I would use compression connectors and not the twist on connectors. I think Lowes sells them with the tool.

Something like this will do and you can probably find them cheaper on eBay:

52Pc Ppc Compression Connector Tool Kit - For RG6 / RG6Q - 506XL-PKIT

I'm definitely going to pick up a kit like the one above. I do enough cable creation here and there that it would be worth the investment. Plus when getting this many components involved in my system, it is probably best to be doing everything by the book.

Thanks again for all of the replies and info.

I'll keep this thread updated as things progress.

VIP 622 - Port #2
VIP 211k - Port #3

UPDATE.

So after work today I noticed my 211k was giving me the same issue the 722 was. The 722 and 622 are still both working fine. So now i'm leaning toward an issue with that port on the switch (#1) that is giving the problem.

EDIT: So I switched the 211k back to port #3. Rebooted and did a check switch. Only would show the 119 satellite. Then I'd do it again and it would say testing X of 38. So I put the 211k back on port #1, the 722 on Port #3, and the 622 is still at port #2. After running a check switch on the 211k, it did the X of 38 and then showed all 3 satellites (61.5, 110, 119) but the switch as a "SW64". All channels come in fine, but obviously something isn't right.

Tomorrow I get my new compression fitting and tools so i'll swap any non-DN approved fittings out with new ones and then start from scratch.

Last edited:

VIP 622 - Port #2
VIP 211k - Port #3

get rid of the twist on conncetors. They suck
Either buy the proper connectors/crimpers and prep tool or call someone over to fix this. You'll have to pay for the services of a tech. But think of it this way, is it really worth the aggrevation to do it yourself?

UPDATE:

So I replaced all the fittings with Dish approved compression fittings. Did a check switch on all receivers and so far they all look good.

So i'll keep my fingers crossed and keep monitoring it.

P.S...Don't know why I waited so long to get one of these compression fittings kit. Makes the job so simple and fast. :up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)