Satellite Signal Question (Fayetteville, AR)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DTVNoob

Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
Hello All-

First all, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, I did search for questions similar to this but could not find anything in the recent history.

I am in the process of relocating to the Fayetteville, AR area. While I am looking at apartments the standard answer I get from the management companies is "As long as you can get a signal, you can have a dish"

Any advice on how I can be "sure" I'll get a singal? I assume a 2nd floor unit w/ balcony is much better than a ground unit. Is there a device out there that I can purchase that would show whether I can get a signal? Is it as simple as if my balcony faces a certain direction, ie. Southwest?

Appreciate any help you can provide. Loyal DTV user and do not want to lose my ability to have DTV service!

Thanks again for the any help.

Hello All-

First all, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, I did search for questions similar to this but could not find anything in the recent history.

I am in the process of relocating to the Fayetteville, AR area. While I am looking at apartments the standard answer I get from the management companies is "As long as you can get a signal, you can have a dish"

Any advice on how I can be "sure" I'll get a singal? I assume a 2nd floor unit w/ balcony is much better than a ground unit. Is there a device out there that I can purchase that would show whether I can get a signal? Is it as simple as if my balcony faces a certain direction, ie. Southwest?

Appreciate any help you can provide. Loyal DTV user and do not want to lose my ability to have DTV service!

Thanks again for the any help.

First, Welcome to the site :up

You ARE in the correct forum :)

All you really need is a compass to see if you can see the sats, you need a clear line of sight to the S/SW sky's depending on where you are in the country.

You can go to greater expense to buy some other items, but you really don't need them.

As for the balcony vs 1st floor, doesn't really matter, if on the ground floor, they may be able to put it on a pole on the ground, thats the best for stability.
On a balcony you'll need to figure out what balcony options work best for you, you'll more than likely want the 5 lnb set up by now, thats bigger than the older set up, will take up more room on the balcony, you normally cannot mount the dish on the balcony rail, so keep that in mind., dish needs to be inside your balcony space.

Jimbo

Great thanks for the help. Sounds "easy" enough. Take compass, look for S/SW sky. I think I can handle that!

Great thanks for the help. Sounds "easy" enough. Take compass, look for S/SW sky. I think I can handle that!

Actually if you run thru the set up on your rec. it will give you the co ordinates to set your compass at so you can be more accurate.

Jimbo

Make sure you don't get JUST a plain compass but a mapping/heading compass with a rotating bezel. About $12 - $19 at a Wal-Mart or cheaper online depending on wait time and shipping if any: http://www.brasscompass.com/mapcompass.htm

Attachments

• mapcompass1.jpg
    mapcompass1.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 140
How much sky?

I have a good view if the S/SW sky from my rooftop, but there is a house just south of me. Can I predict how low from vertical I need to have unobstructed line of sight? I am sure this depends on Lat/Lon. I'm at 33.6 / 117.7. We have used both directTV and dish without problems.

Also, is there a reasonably easy way to absolutely determine what types of FTA channels are going to be available from my particular spot?

I know the channel reception is going to be equipment-dependent. I plan to use a 75cm or a 1m dish with a single ViewSatHD reciever and I will outfit as necessary to optimize. For instance, if there are multiple birds within view and a motor would be of benefit, I'll go there for sure. On the other hand, I just want to cut and run without investing the time and $ to learn and buy if I'm going to end up dissatisfied with the reception.

Suggestions are appreciated...

I have a good view if the S/SW sky from my rooftop, but there is a house just south of me. Can I predict how low from vertical I need to have unobstructed line of sight? I am sure this depends on Lat/Lon. I'm at 33.6 / 117.7. We have used both directTV and dish without problems.

Also, is there a reasonably easy way to absolutely determine what types of FTA channels are going to be available from my particular spot?

I know the channel reception is going to be equipment-dependent. I plan to use a 75cm or a 1m dish with a single ViewSatHD reciever and I will outfit as necessary to optimize. For instance, if there are multiple birds within view and a motor would be of benefit, I'll go there for sure. On the other hand, I just want to cut and run without investing the time and $ to learn and buy if I'm going to end up dissatisfied with the reception.

Suggestions are appreciated...

If you are talking about having enough sky for D* , the sats are actually higher than the arm lines up , so don't use the arm as reference.

If you are looking for FTA info, I cannot help you, might want to try the FTA forum though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)