Satellite technical question

Rafaelccs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Fort Lauderdale
My question is regarding orbital slot 72.5 W (sheared by both satellite operators)

72.7 W => Dish 22 Tps / Directv 10 Tps

I read somewhere that Dishnetwork was planning to cut off all core HD out of 61.5 W and move it to 72.7 W

If I read well, and the source of my information is not wrong (lyngsat) all core in HD @ 129 W takes almost 16 Tps (I think really 15 CONUS tps)

From what I can see @ Lyngsat @ 72.5 W Dishnetwork only has 8 CONUS tps. beaming HD (8PSK / 21500 (2/3) I guess the good thing is that all ird's to be used @ eastern arc are MPEG 4.

Are they beaming more HD than only 8 tps?

I guess the plans for 61.5 W should be serve local DMA's with HD......

your input is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

72.5 and 72.7 are not Shared

I believe you are a bit confused. As far as I know DirecTV 1R is @ 72.5 west and Dish Network uses NIMQ 5 @ 72.7 West. Two different satellites and I have never heard of them being shared by DirecTV and Dish.

I believe you are a bit confused. As far as I know DirecTV 1R is @ 72.5 west and Dish Network uses NIMQ 5 @ 72.7 West. Two different satellites and I have never heard of them being shared by DirecTV and Dish.

What I meant was orbital slot 72 W and FCC permission by Tp goes like this:

1 Dish
2 Directv
3 Dish
4 DirecTV
5 Dish
6 Dish
7 Dish
8 Dish
9 Dish
10 DirecTV
11 Dish
12 DirecTV
13 Dish
14 DirecTV
15 Dish
16 Dish
17 Dish
18 DirecTV
19 Dish
20 DirecTV
21 Dish
22 Dish
23 Dish
24 DirecTV
25 Dish
26 DirecTV
27 Dish
28 Dish
29 Dish
30 DirecTV
31 Dish
32 Dish

Smiliar situation @ 119 W (21 Dish and 11 DirecTV) & 110 W (Dish 29 and DirecTV 3).....

Last edited:
IIRC, all of those DirecTV transponders will over time be released to Dish, giving Dish all 32. They have 30 at 61.5, plus 2 they can operate under STA with conditions.

IIRC, all of those DirecTV transponders will over time be released to Dish, giving Dish all 32. They have 30 at 61.5, plus 2 they can operate under STA with conditions.

Thanks for that info....

regarding my original question:

I read somewhere that Dishnetwork was planning to cut off all core HD out of 61.5 W and move it to 72.7 W

If I read well, and the source of my information is not wrong (lyngsat) all core in HD @ 129 W takes almost 16 Tps (I think really 15 CONUS tps)

From what I can see @ Lyngsat @ 72.5 W Dishnetwork only has 8 CONUS tps. beaming HD (8PSK / 21500 (2/3) I guess the good thing is that all ird's to be used @ eastern arc are MPEG 4.

Are they beaming more HD than only 8 tps?

Yes this core migration has many of us scratching our heads, particularly now that Echo15 is on station. Dish has more conus transponders at 61.5 than they have (now) at 72.7. Granted, Echo12 is limited to spotbeam transmissions only on the odd transponders from 1-23, and Dish is currently only using the odd transponders in spotbeam mode from 1-15, leaving 32-8=24 transponders for conus transmissions.

I doubt that all HD will leave 61.5. Guess we can guess about what "core" means.

It seems pretty clear that for the near term, Dish wants us to get both 61.5 and 72.7, with 77 a nicety that will see more future use. They don't seem interested in, or tolerant of, setups receiving only 72.7.

I doubt that all HD will leave 61.5. Guess we can guess about what "core" means.

It seems pretty clear that for the near term, Dish wants us to get both 61.5 and 72.7, with 77 a nicety that will see more future use. They don't seem interested in, or tolerant of, setups receiving only 72.7.

Hello navychop:

what I mean with "core" (core HD): (I googled it)

1. the central part of a fleshy fruit, containing the seeds.
2. the central, innermost, or most essential part of anything.

Thanks for your input....

How many Transponders (MPEG 4 (HD) 8PSK) are the beamming actually @ 72 W (I count only 8 @ lyngsat)?

Regardless of where channels are located now, Dish likes to move them around randomly from sat to sat for no apparent reason and will continue to do so for the forseeable future

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts