Status
Please reply by conversation.

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 13, 2005
daytona beach
just got a press release about this. for now, please go to directv home page. arthritis in my hands precludes me from doing a lot of computer stuff. more on this should be posted soon.

its in the invester relations section. the unit will retail for $1,499 and be available soon. call 1-800-directv for more info.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=127160&p=irol-news&nyo=0
Beginning today, the DIRECTV(R) Sat-Go unit, created by DIRECTV and TV producer/writer, Rick Rosner, is available to DIRECTV customers for $1,499. DIRECTV customers who are interested in purchasing a DIRECTV Sat-Go unit can call 1-800-DIRECTV. The DIRECTV Sat-Go will be available at participating retail locations across the country soon.
More info + pictures of it can be found at this URL............
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=83951

Last edited:
just got a press release about this. for now, please go to directv home page. arthritis in my hands precludes me from doing a lot of computer stuff. more on this should be posted soon.

Here is the press release:

World's First Portable Satellite TV System Now Available To

DIRECTV Customers

El SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 3, 2007--Just in time for the summer travel season, DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading satellite television service provider, is launching DIRECTV(R) Sat-Go ("Satellite-to-Go"), the world's first portable satellite TV system.

Beginning today, the DIRECTV(R) Sat-Go unit, created by DIRECTV and TV producer/writer, Rick Rosner, is available to DIRECTV customers for $1,499. DIRECTV customers who are interested in purchasing a DIRECTV Sat-Go unit can call 1-800-DIRECTV. The DIRECTV Sat-Go will be available at participating retail locations across the country soon.

"DIRECTV's digital satellite technology enables us to do what no cable service can, offer consumers TV programming that they can watch wherever they are," said Eric Shanks, executive vice president, DIRECTV Entertainment. "DIRECTV Sat-Go is the perfect companion for a summer road trip and the ultimate tailgating accessory for any sporting event. Since we unveiled a prototype of the unit in January, the DIRECTV Sat-Go has created an exciting buzz in the marketplace and we are thrilled to make it available now to DIRECTV customers across the country."

The DIRECTV(R) Sat-Go is specifically designed to be compact and highly portable. The unit comes in an easy-to-carry, briefcase-like design that includes a 17-inch LCD monitor with integrated DIRECTV Receiver, flat antenna and replaceable/rechargeable lithium-ion battery. The unit also includes AC/DC adaptors for home and car.

Once the DIRECTV Sat-Go unit is opened, there is no installation necessary. It's quick and simple setup makes it easy for customers to find line-of-sight with DIRECTV satellites and receive DIRECTV(R) programming within minutes (provided the user is within range of the DIRECTV signal).

When not being used as a portable/ travel unit, the DIRECTV Sat-Go can also be utilized as an additional in-home DIRECTV Receiver and television. The LCD TV screen has a built-in DIRECTV Receiver, which can be separated from the DIRECTV Sat-Go antenna casing and connected to a customer's existing DIRECTV Satellite Dish.

DIRECTV Sat-Go customers will have access to their authorized DIRECTV(R) programming, including interactive features and premium sports subscription packages, such as NFL SUNDAY TICKET(TM), NASCAR HOTPASS and MEGA MARCH MADNESS(R). For more information, please visit www.directv.com/satgo.

State, government and local agencies interested in purchasing DIRECTV Sat-Go units should contact Prime Direc at (877) 202-3189. Quantities are limited. DIRECTV Sat-Go service is not available in Alaska and Hawaii.

Some Specs on the unit:

Directv said:
Integrated 17-inch LCD monitor and satellite receiver with two speakers
Compact and portable flat antenna and satellite receiver
DIRECTV® programming accessed through a platform based on DIRECTV's D11 set top box
Small profile IR remote
Component and composite A/V inputs
Composite A/V out
Satellite in connection
Phone Jack
USB connection
AC and DC capable (cigarette lighter adapter included)
Rechargeable, replaceable, laptop-style battery

How many times are they going to announce this unit?

I have played around with one and while it was cool, its not worth $1,400.

How many times are they going to announce this unit?

I have played around with one and while it was cool, its not worth $1,400.

At least its better than touting bandwidth they don't have active yet. Show me the money...er...uh...bandwidth already, then you can toot your own horn all you want. Hell, I've even help you toot it too if you put it to good use.

I may have gone up to $500 for the unit, but above that, I'm out. Would be better if they split the unit into two parts. I'd rather have a portable receiver at a much lower price.

I didn't see anything on the home page about the launch.But I do know the Launch is due in mid June .
Speaking of launches, has the official date been set for the Proton launch of DirecTV 10 sometime in June? :confused:

boy, i think directv is going full tilt on this. i came home from lunch to find a prerecorded voicemail message about this.

while the idea intriques me, i could think of better ways to spend 1500 dollars, provided i had that much to spend on something frivilous. its called fixed government pension!

This still needs to be connected to a sat dish ?
I was thinking originally that it was a self suported item that would pick up the sat on it's own, being portable like it is....

Jimbo

This still needs to be connected to a sat dish ?
I was thinking originally that it was a self suported item that would pick up the sat on it's own, being portable like it is....

Jimbo

no read on jimbo
Compact and portable flat antenna and satellite receiver

I wonder if this unit will see 110 and 119 as well, many markets locals are on 119 and I beleive rfd tv is on 119 as well.
sh*t for 1500 I could build one for less!!!

Think of it as a small suitcase, with the case open the "lid" becomes the antenna
dish, and the bottom portion, the receiver....there really is a lot of info at this
URL...test and pictures....
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=83951
Inside the unit, it is using a Genesis / Faroudja DCDi Cinema™ controller.
This controller is responsible for formating any incomming video, enhancing the video, and noise reduction.

It is also why.... the unit will except a 720p/1080i signal via component... and WILL display a 720p picture... So guess you can say this little portable unit is an HD display, depending on the video source.
This DISH can only see the 101 SAT. (but the receiver inside can also see 110,119 if connected at home).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)