SATELLITE TV PIRATE SENTENCED TO 14 MONTHS IN FEDERAL PRISON

What an idiot

Hi

I can't feel sorry for such an idiot. And he was actually re-selling the service to his customers. Was there a fine for this and how much? Or was Dish just happy to get hin to spend time?

In a town of 307 Families if 50% were signed up with him @$30.00 per month that would be over $4,500 per month. Is he the culprit or did he take the fall for someone else?

$4,500 x 14 months = $63,000 in lost revenue

Is there and more information about this somewhere online?

About the same

The sentence was about the same as in the old C-band days. Knew a guy that got popped back then and he got something like a yr + big fine. He had to sign a form that he would never be in sat biz ever again. I'm surprised to not see a fine listed. Not gonna pay anything to find out more: don't care that much. BTW is probably min security prison & unlikely to need the butt plug :D.

Im not sure if this is the same guy, but I think this guy was simply rebroadcasting the local channels since he could not get a clean feed from an OTA antenna.

What tipped someone off was that there was an installer who was watching DISH and the signal was lost due to rain fade. He switched to cable to watch his local channels and noticed the "Accuiring satellite signal" message on the TV.

He called Dish, they found the account and zapped the programming while they where recording the channel as evidence.

I think the piracy thing is something that was just tagged on at the end because that carried the fine and jail time!

pirate guy

I think he should get more time.These guys are our competition-and not competing fairly.I once went to a trouble(service) call to a house that had functioning dish and direct systems.He also had a fiberglass internet dish.When I moved the dish,they seemed concerned that i would need to do a check switch on all recvrs.I showed them how on one receiver,and they promised to do one on the other.

Smith, I don't think this guy had a rack for DISH receivers. I think he was putting them in at customer's homes and collecting the monthly income. The ones at his office were probably additional units for being put in as they're ordered. The report said they found receivers at customers' homes as well so he must have been using these as field units.

What a small time fry. 200 homes at best.

I tried to turn in a hacker, even got his buddy's information to turn them in too. Sat on hold for 45 minutes before abandoning the call.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts