Satellite Update (OTA-SSU) 2012.5.23 Firmware on back-up transponder for Testing

SatelliteAV

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 3, 2004
Roseville, CA
For the next few days we will be spooling the GEOSATpro firmware OTA-SSU updating for those of you wanting to experience the process. The test firmware file is the same as the file that was on the microHD at time of delivery, 2012.5.23. We have the temporary OTA_SSU playout location on satellite Galaxy 19, transponder frequency 12115. Here are some directions that will step you through the easy manual update process.

Warning: The 2012.5.23 update is a complete system system and may overwrite your settings and channel scans. It basically could return your receiver to the original configuration that it was delivered. You may wish to back-up your current settings, set-up and firmware to a USB drive before performing the S/W Update via Satellite - Manual.

S/W Update via Satellite - Manual Mode
Back-up your current firmware to USB - Save to USB (ALLCODE) .abs
Save your user data to USB - Save to USB (userdb) .udf
Highlight S/W Update via Satellite - Manual, press OK

SW_Update_Sat_Manual.jpg
Highlight Transponder and press the Right arrow key to select frequency 12115 V 22425
Do not change any other settings in this menu.

Verify that the Signal Quality is 50% or better

SW_Update_Sat_Manual.2.jpg
Highlight Start, press OK key

SW_Update_Sat_Manual.3.jpg
STB will collect Update File information (allow up to 30 seconds)
This file may be the same as your current version, but you may download.
Press OK key to start the download.

SW_Update_Sat_Manual.4.jpg
The download may take up to 2 minutes to complete. A status bar will show progress. If data is incomplete on the first pass, a second pass may be required to complete the file. You may stop the download by pressing OK key

SW_Update_Sat_Manual.5.jpg
When download is 100% complete, the prompt will appear "Press OK to Save Update"
Press OK key if you wish to save and continue

SW_Update_Sat_Manual.6.jpg
"Are you sure to burn the flash?" will appear. This is your last opportunity to exit the process without updating the firmware.
If you wish to continue, press the OK key. Do not interrupt or power down the STB during the part of the process.

SW_Update_Sat_Manual.7.jpg
The final step of the process is to restart or reboot the microHD. Press OK to Reboot the Receiver.

The receiver will power off then restart.

The update is now complete!

We hope to have the latest firmware testing on OTA-SSU and here on SatelliteGuys either July 4th or 5th, 2012.

Happy Independence Day to our US friends and customers!

We value your input!

Last edited:
just tried it and worked pretty slick
noticed it downloads really fast to 98% then takes a while to reach 100%

also when I downloaded this it kept my channel list in tact. Verified it said 5/23
(when I went back to the software I am using it wiped out the list like its suppose to)

Reactions: electronmini
I will point my spare dish there tomorrow and let you know how it goes. I've already upgraded to the latest and since Ice downloaded this I assume I can downgrade.

I also upgraded to the latest version 6/15/2012 and used the Manual Satellite Update to download the 5/23/2012 version.
It took three and a half minutes to update from the time I selected "Press OK to Start Download".
I attached a PDF of SatelliteAV's post.

Attachments

• microHD Satellite Firmware Update.pdf
    873.7 KB · Views: 554
So the satellite OTA test upgrade is now the latest one, right? (I deduced this from the other threads)

Just a footnote here:
some receivers may not have 12115 V 22425 in their receivers already so if you have one like mine that did not have this frequency listed you have to manually enter this for Galaxy 19.
Then do as Brian posted here.
It did not overwrite any previous scanned in channels in the box when I downloaded the latest firmware into the receiver.
Worked really good and as Ice said it goes to 98% quickly then it takes a few minutes to finish and when done a box appears on the screen letting you know it has finished.
Very simple and easy way to upgrade the firmware.

So, (my little brain didn't soak this in I guess) ... a good idea to do USB backup of the channels, TP, and such as always, but..if you take this or future upgrades via satellite you may NOT have to do this? (only the firmware will be affected, not the user's files?)

always a good idea to backup channels/settings

and from what Brian has mentioned the auto updates shouldn't affect channels....but its always good to do a factory reset after getting new software

just tried it and worked pretty slick
noticed it downloads really fast to 98% then takes a while to reach 100%

also when I downloaded this it kept my channel list in tact. Verified it said 5/23
(when I went back to the software I am using it wiped out the list like its suppose to)
Iceberg: I can see this is a very old post, but so am I and always behind with technology.
I tried to research the gist of how is done but unsuccessfully.
Would you point out where can I find the detailed info?
In particular I have several questions :

1- Is the upgrade done from software inside each particular receiver?
2- Is the upgrade available for ANY receiver?
3- Is it possible to obtain the upgrading files on the web and copy to an USB then perform upgrade inserting USB and blindly start the unit so automatically reads and perform upgrade? /Holding power button?
And probably many other questions that I can not even imagine I do need or should know.
Thanks

Couple of things here. Firstly Iceberg is no longer on this site and has not been for a couple of years.

Second: This firmware was for the GEOSATpro mircoHD receiver that is no longer in production. NO it will NOT work on ANY receiver.

Third: Do you have a microHD? If so the OTA upgrade is no longer functional. If so what is your current firmware version?

1/2: This satellite delivery upgrade procedure was developed for the GEOSATpro microHD, which is now out of production. I no longer see the microHD firmware in the satellite stream. The GEOSATpro model HDVR3500 is now supported by automatic or manual initiated firmware and channel list update on the G19 KU satellite. I am not aware of any other FTA STB in North America that is upgraded via satellite.

A .ts file is spooled from a server located at the play-out center and uplinked on a specific transponder and pid. The STB is tuned to this transponder and reads the pid data stream. If the data file has the correct ID, the file is downloaded and a checksum run. A valid file is then available for upgrade/update and is applied.

3. Many STBs have upgrade/update files which are applied via USB port. Contact the specific STB distributor for file availability and the procedure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)