Satellite vs. FTA/Cable GTN Programming

daybj

Original poster
Jun 16, 2005
Does anyone know if Guardian Television Network's (GTN) Sky Angel Satellite feed has the same programming as GTN's over the air or cable feed? I noticed on GTN's web-site that their programming schedule is different, especially in the afternoon, than what is shown on GTN on Sky Angel. For example, in a typical afternoon, the GTN web-site schedule shows listings for Family Ties, Happy Days, and The Brady Bunch. However, the shows on Sky Angel's GTN during those time slots are The Lone Ranger, Cisco Kid, and Lassie. I'm curious if GTN is changing the shows or if there are two different feeds and the shows will continue to be different during certain time slots.

I believe GTN does have a different feed for SkyAngel and it is because the SkyAngel subscribers have requested programming that doesn't do as well with their other customers. I could be mistaken. I asked a Sky Angel representative about it once.

GTN's content is SUPER EDITED for one to appease Skyangel's concerns... I beleive also substutes some programming on their skyangel feed that does not air on the WSFJ 51 Over air feed in Columbus vise versa.. I know the overnight shopping/paid programming they had on WSFJ 51 in Columbus never aired on skyangel's feed (they had Worship Network in place) etc.. while the WSFJ Local tv feed had shopping.

Thanks for the information. My son is really into cowboys and western movies right now. He watches The Lone Ranger and The Cisco Kid on GTN and was afraid that they were going to be replaced with other shows. I told him I would try to find out.

As a follow up I sent an e-mail to Sky Angel asking them about GTN's programming. Below is an e-mail I received today from Kathleen Johnson in case anyone else is interested.

Thanks for writing Sky Angel. No, GTN locally is a different feed; the programmer that owns "The Brady Bunch", etc., Paramount Pictures would not allow Guardian to carry the programs nationally on Sky Angel because it has sold those exclusive rights to another national TV network. However, last week the PAX TV network (now called Ion), that Guardian is an affliate of, announced it has bought a bunch of classic sitcoms and programs and will start airing those on Guardian in August. As soon as we have a schedule we will be putting it on our web site. Guardian also is in the process of buying more classic sitcoms itself for possible airing on Sky Angel starting in the fall.

Sincerely,
Kathleen Johnson
VP Programming
Sky Angel

I thought GTN *super edited* everything, just because that was their philosophy, not just for Sky Angel.

I gather anything they get from Ion is fair game for their SA* feed, since Ion licensed the shows nationally to begin with.

jegrant said:
I thought GTN *super edited* everything, just because that was their philosophy, not just for Sky Angel.

I gather anything they get from Ion is fair game for their SA* feed, since Ion licensed the shows nationally to begin with.

I know they aired PAX stuff nationally on GTN when Ion was still pax. To my knowledge they do super edit everything and if I am not mistaken its because they are on skyangel... A lot skyangel customers are VERY vocal when they see something on the service they do not like and they "make noise" about it. (Just look at the uproar that they have Fox news) -- Which I do enjoy.

Happy Days can be seen on other national networks I think TVLand but I haven't seen Family Ties on the air in ages.

I know that Guardian edits content from Pax even. Back when Pax was airing Early Edition Guardian refused to play the halloween episode totally and they edited content on some of the other episodes. I have Pax on directv so I would compare.

Jim

GTN edited a year ago, but currently it does not edit. It shows a lot of half naked women on the A-Team for sure. It is very disappointing for Sky Angel to allow this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts