SatelliteGuys 921 Review

The thing I noticed about Dish dvrs vs Tivo. With Dish it is just like a vcr. Vcrs have been around since the early 1980's Bought my first one in 1981 for like 650.00 -Panasonic Omnivison. Everyone should know how to set a timer with a vcr by now.

With Dish it is easy ; go to the guide select on the show , hit weekly, once, etc and hit select. There it is a timer created.

The tivo is smarter and you can just put in the show title and it will follow the show where ever it goes and records it. I can do that now with a cheap tv guide mag or the one from the newspaper weekly on Sunday. I don't need a Tivo to follow my programs.

I can do that with my on screen guide built into my 921/721 dvrs. I mostly record movies off the premium channels which I use the OnSat magazine for. This magazine is very accurate and it is sent to me weekly. I take about an hour going through the magazine and circle the ones I want to record on my dvr.

My weekly series tv doesn't change much. I set recording blocks on most of the networks like Mondays on CBS from 7:00 - 9:00pm . Tuesdays on ABC from 7:00- 9:00pm . etc . The 921/721 will break down by progam title and information each show recorded on that block. Series tv doesn't really change much except the occasional special here and there. I catch these changes usually on commercials that catch my eye and make the change. I really haven't missed anything of any importance.

I guess for people who can program their vcrs timers , Dish dvrs would be for them. For people who can't progam the flashing clock on their vcr than Tivo would be for them. It would be nice to have the option of name based recording for weekly tv series but for my movie choices I will still have to look them up to record with either service. I really don't want Tivo picking out my programs. My stand alone Tivo ( used to use it for local news before the 921) thinks I like cartoons and spanish programs. Weird. That is why I have suggestions turned off on my stand alone.

I guess by next year I will have the option for name based on the 921 but I am not in any real big hurry. My system works fine for me .

davidmcdaniel said:
There are component inputs for video and L/R audio on the rear panel. Can these be used for a DVD player?

Do you mean composite? Composite is coded yellow. Component is three cables for video, red, blue and green.

I was talking about the three colored (red,white and yellow) on the back of the 921 surrounded by a line labeled inputs.

Not really a problem as I can connect my DVD player into the TV for video and into a receiver or prepro for audio.

I want to take advantage of the video scaler in the TV to go from the 1080i output of the 921 to 1080p of the TV. Just have to try it and see. Thanks,
David

If you plug something in there (like a DVD player) you just tune your 921 to channel 0 and it will act as a passthrough. :)

Since your review, have things changed? I'm ready to buy the 921 and 34" monitor from Dish.

this will be my first hdtv setup

Programing ?

You mentioned different charges for programming like DVR, can you explain what they are? Do you have to subscribe to local channels to get OTA & do you have to subscribe to HD programming to make the receiver or OTA work or can you run it with just an OTA antenna for no fee's?
Thanks,
Manerd

You have to subscribe to locals to get any kind of OTA program guide info. Too difficult to record without it. You do not have to sub to the HD Pak to get your OTA locals in HD where available.

davidmcdaniel said:
I was talking about the three colored (red,white and yellow) on the back of the 921 surrounded by a line labeled inputs.

Not really a problem as I can connect my DVD player into the TV for video and into a receiver or prepro for audio.

I want to take advantage of the video scaler in the TV to go from the 1080i output of the 921 to 1080p of the TV. Just have to try it and see. Thanks,
David

LOL, yeah, why would you want to run your DVD player through your 921? Anyways, man u should use something besides composit. That will produce one crappy picture. Run s-video at worst to your tv, or component if you can, then optical if possible to your stereo, or at worst RCA's (composite) to your stereo. Do that dvd player some justice. ;)

I'm a noob so don't blast me, but can the 921 show the same inage on two televisions (i.e. - a HDTV in a basement using the DVI or composite cables and on a SD television using the RG-6 cable. I want to replace a 522 and i don't watch both tvs at the same time. I'm using the 522 in a single tuner mode, and my question is can the 921 function in a similar fashion. Thanks.

The 921 is "either-or". You can drive a second SD TV via RF on ch 3 or 4, but not at the same time the HD outputs are active. You can easily toggle between HD or SD outputs.

gpflepsen said:
The 921 is "either-or". You can drive a second SD TV via RF on ch 3 or 4, but not at the same time the HD outputs are active. You can easily toggle between HD or SD outputs.

I disagree with you gpflepsen... you can have BOTH SD and HD on AT THE SAME TIME... a little story behind my confirmation that this can be done:

I have been searching the forum to find out if anyone has found something that may not be documented in the 921 user guide (at least I haven't looked yet). Today I was setting up a new HD TV for a friend. We were trying to resolve some issues he was having as well. He has the 921 going out through RF to a splitter that goes to 2 other TVs - one outside on the porch, and one in the kitchen... both little tvs with no HD support. He also has the component out going to the new TV for HD and SD picture. He HAS been doing what you said above - switching to SD to watch TV on the 2 small TVs, and swtiching to HD for his main TV... until today.

Amongst the many components of his entertainment system, there are 6 remotes to control them all. I showed him a nice Sony programmable remote that he could use for everything, and he's loved it ever since I programmed it about 6 months ago...

(I'm getting to the point) - Today, I went to program the new TV remote into the Sony remote so he could turn it on and off, and switch A/V modes. I then had to reprogram the SD/HD button from the dish remote. While I was doing this, I accidentally held the SD/HD button down on the Dish remote for about 5 seconds to program the Sony remote... at which point, both the blue and orange light lit up on the receiver. This kinda threw us back for a moment thinking I messed something up. But after a few tests, it was confirmed that the 921 receiver output was going through the component out in HD, RF (coax), and composite (yellow) out in SD at the same time. He was thrilled, because now if he was watching a show in HD and wanted to step out on the back porch for a cigarette, he doesn't have to find the remote and push the SD/HD button anymore!

Now, as far as I can tell, the only problem that I saw was the SD output not completely smooth. I checked and confirmed on all 3 tv's it looked like it was running about 25 FPS instead of a smooth 30 FPS. If you were just watching it it's not really noticeable! You have to stare at the screen and look for the not-perfectly-smooth effect it gives. My friend didn't even notice it until I pointed it out. However, everything looked perfect in HD mode on the TV. If the 921 receiver was switched back into just SD mode, it went back to 30 FPS on all 3 tv's.

Again, I couldn't find anything about this in the forums, so please let me know if this has been posted before. I'm sure I'm not the only one to stumble across this "feature" that 3 dish installers didn't even know about.

AJR said:
I disagree with you gpflepsen... you can have BOTH SD and HD on AT THE SAME TIME... a little story behind my confirmation that this can be done:

I have been searching the forum to find out if anyone has found something that may not be documented in the 921 user guide (at least I haven't looked yet). Today I was setting up a new HD TV for a friend. We were trying to resolve some issues he was having as well. He has the 921 going out through RF to a splitter that goes to 2 other TVs - one outside on the porch, and one in the kitchen... both little tvs with no HD support. He also has the component out going to the new TV for HD and SD picture. He HAS been doing what you said above - switching to SD to watch TV on the 2 small TVs, and swtiching to HD for his main TV... until today.

Amongst the many components of his entertainment system, there are 6 remotes to control them all. I showed him a nice Sony programmable remote that he could use for everything, and he's loved it ever since I programmed it about 6 months ago...

(I'm getting to the point) - Today, I went to program the new TV remote into the Sony remote so he could turn it on and off, and switch A/V modes. I then had to reprogram the SD/HD button from the dish remote. While I was doing this, I accidentally held the SD/HD button down on the Dish remote for about 5 seconds to program the Sony remote... at which point, both the blue and orange light lit up on the receiver. This kinda threw us back for a moment thinking I messed something up. But after a few tests, it was confirmed that the 921 receiver output was going through the component out in HD, RF (coax), and composite (yellow) out in SD at the same time. He was thrilled, because now if he was watching a show in HD and wanted to step out on the back porch for a cigarette, he doesn't have to find the remote and push the SD/HD button anymore!

Now, as far as I can tell, the only problem that I saw was the SD output not completely smooth. I checked and confirmed on all 3 tv's it looked like it was running about 25 FPS instead of a smooth 30 FPS. If you were just watching it it's not really noticeable! You have to stare at the screen and look for the not-perfectly-smooth effect it gives. My friend didn't even notice it until I pointed it out. However, everything looked perfect in HD mode on the TV. If the 921 receiver was switched back into just SD mode, it went back to 30 FPS on all 3 tv's.

Again, I couldn't find anything about this in the forums, so please let me know if this has been posted before. I'm sure I'm not the only one to stumble across this "feature" that 3 dish installers didn't even know about.

You do realize he wrote that 5 months ago and that most of this thread is much older than that. I just don't understand why people think it's fun to bump really old threads.

chaddux said:
You do realize he wrote that 5 months ago and that most of this thread is much older than that. I just don't understand why people think it's fun to bump really old threads.

First of all, he wrote the post 20 days ago...

Second, I thought it would be nice to share some information with those that have a 921... unless this is just a bitch and gripe board, at which point I concede and apologize for the useful information. I was not being rude or condecending when I said that I disagree with gpflepsen. I was originally looking for information on having both the SD and HD modes/lights on at the same time (like if it can damage the 921). When I couldn't find anything, but found this thread that someone asked a pertinent question that I have found an answer for, then I thought I would reply to it. The 921 may be replaced by the 942, but I'm sure 1,000's of units exist out there and many can be bought on eBay and are still a viable solution for many, so this thread is still alive and well. I may be a newbie to this forum, but I run several large forums and know what it's like when there are just some members that want to gripe about everything and everyone. I don't want to turn this into a crap-on-each-other thread so if you have anything else to say that has nothing to do with the 921, then kindly PM me. If anyone has any information on the SD/HD turned on at the same time, please feel free to post.

AJR said:
First of all, he wrote the post 20 days ago...

Second, I thought it would be nice to share some information with those that have a 921... unless this is just a bitch and gripe board, at which point I concede and apologize for the useful information. I was not being rude or condecending when I said that I disagree with gpflepsen. I was originally looking for information on having both the SD and HD modes/lights on at the same time (like if it can damage the 921). When I couldn't find anything, but found this thread that someone asked a pertinent question that I have found an answer for, then I thought I would reply to it. The 921 may be replaced by the 934, but I'm sure 1,000's of units exist out there and many can be bought on eBay and are still a viable solution for many, so this thread is still alive and well. I may be a newbie to this forum, but I run several large forums and know what it's like when there are just some members that want to gripe about everything and everyone. I don't want to turn this into a crap-on-each-other thread so if you have anything else to say that has nothing to do with the 921, then kindly PM me. If anyone has any information on the SD/HD turned on at the same time, please feel free to post.

So it was. I only saw his post 85 from december. You didn't bump it that much so no harm, no foul.

Your big "discovery" is called "safe mode" and mentioned in the owner's manual. It is not something to leave the 921 in. Mark at dbstalk.com says that its hard n the video chips and may lead to video output failure. So call your customer and have him leave it in one mode or the other. Also just to let you know. safe mode is not 1080i or 720p. its only 480p!

Jon

j5races said:
Your big "discovery" is called "safe" and mentioned in the owner's manual. It is not something to leave the 21 in. Mark says that its hard n the video chips and may lead to video output failure. So call your customer and have him leave it in one mode or the other. Also just to let you know. safe mode is not 1080i or 720p. its only 480p!

Jon

Thank you Jon. I will let my friend know about this. Since I couldn't find anything, I thought I would try to find out more information about this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)