SatelliteGuys "Best In Show" Award

I just grabbed a 64MB jumpdrive for free after rebate. Of course, that's almost no storage in modern terms (even though it is like 50 floppies :)). Point is, the storage world is changing radically (again).

Of course, none of it matters. Dish will decide what USB devices will read/write what types of content. It's not a technology limitation, it's just what they feel like doing for us.

So says Simon. :D

Stargazer said:
Dish will probably start selling their line of jump drives and so forth to do these kinds of things.
Yeah. It'll cost $500 and be absolutely identical to the ones we could buy at Wal-Mart for $20 - except for the 1-penny USB-ID chip which will have a Dish ID - and the receiver won't work with the Wal-Mart one.

I know this has been touched on in this thread already, but if they could work out a legally ambiguous way to record MP3s or maybe even JPEG screenshots from the hard drive onto one of these things that would be cool! :D The Sirius audio streams wouldn't be a good choice for this because of the "stream jockeys". Perhaps they could make use of the CD audio streams, even making the track title data available. What may be more likely would be some sort of paid music download service akin to what Apple is doing.

Hey, I can dream can't I?

Dish likes to make it to where they are the exclusive distributors of anything that attaches to their product so that they can benefit from it. They could make it to where the jumpdrive that they come out with would have to have a password in some program in it to make it work and Dish would have to put it on there before shipping it out to you or identify it as a jumpdrive that came from Dish (just like how you cannot take your hard drive out of the DVR's and place another one in there).

Stargazer said:
Dish will probably start selling their line of jump drives and so forth to do these kinds of things.
Actually this feature will work with most drives on the market. They said they have tested it with a bunch of them and all have worked.

I figured it would work with most drives on the market, but Dish may want it to work with only theirs so you would have to buy their product which would be more expensive or so that they would make more money off of it.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Actually this feature will work with most drives on the market. They said they have tested it with a bunch of them and all have worked.

I am assuming you mean flash drives. Might want to be specific here so people don't get the impression there are plans to support USB connected hard drives.

I still want to know if this feature will somehow work with the older 501/508/510 series as Scott hinted at at the beginning of this thread. Is there some sort of adapter for the expansion port in the works that will make this work with the older DVRs?

Why not just put ethernet adapters on the box and forget the USB port? I would think that most folks don't have their PC's next to their TV's/STB but somewhere else. Why should you have to go out and get a USB/Ethernet adapter and install some USB drivers on your PC?

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
I have a hunch that they'll enable this feature AFTER they make the 522 available to customers without a lease. If not they'll cause a ruckus with customers who'll want to OWN the 522.

More and more HDTV's are going to support the JPEG viewer. DVD players can do it now as long as you burn it in a readable disc. I suppose USB or home networking will be easier than having to burn a disc and play it back in a DVD player though.
charlie said that it will only be lease but those who are not on dhp can also lease it much like the cable comp

Stargazer said:
I figured it would work with most drives on the market, but Dish may want it to work with only theirs so you would have to buy their product which would be more expensive or so that they would make more money off of it.
by the way when you give every new customer a few hundred bucks of hardware and maybe 3months of service you have to make a return dont you

Yes, Dish makes a return off of the programming (and some extra fees). I am saying that if Dish did do that when it would be possible to use the cheaper usb jumpdrives then they would just be trying to squeeze more money out of people that way.

I'd prefer an HD-1000 from roku (rokulabs.com). HD, networkable, open platform..

It would be nice if Dish were to also make the MP3/JPG capability similar to that of Tivo Series 2 with HMO (Home Media Option)... namely, you can point the DVR to a network source of MP3s/JPGs (i.e. your PC running a small server application) and then have the DVR play/show them served from your PC. That would keep from filling up the DVR HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)