SatelliteGuys First - Complete Pocket Dish Info!

Scott,

Should you get one of these babies can you do us Canadians a favour and test if it works on the ExpressVU 9200 when we get the next software update which is due shortly from what I hear.

I doubt ExpressVU will support it but if the firmware is there by accident as will be the case then I just may buy one.

I assume you have to have the Dish version for it to work as the normal Archos will not?

Kryspy

All PocketDish units are being recalled due to a problem with the battery possibly overheating. (Didn't they test these things out)

Only a handfull were shipped (to those who ordered one at Team Summit)

On Monday dealers who received units were called and told not to distribute them.

No word on how long the delay will be.

We will keep you informed.

From the Dish Network Retailer Web Site
Replacement Instructions for PocketDISH Portable Media Players

DISH Network has partnered with Archos to provide warranty and defective product support for the PocketDISH portable media players. See the Appendix in your PocketDISH User’s Guide for the full warranty text.

EXTENT OF LIMITED WARRANTY

Archos warrants to the original end user customer that Archos products will be free from defects in materials and workmanship for the duration of two years, which begins on the date of purchase by the customer. Customer is responsible for maintaining proof of date of purchase.

For software products, Archos' limited warranty applies only to a failure to execute
programming instructions. Archos does not warrant that the operation of any product will be uninterrupted or error free.

Archos' limited warranty covers only those defects which arise as a result of normal use of the product, and do not apply to any:
• damage from misuse or neglect,
• improper or inadequate maintenance or modification,
• software, interfacing, media, parts, or supplies not provided or supported by Archos,
• operation outside the product's specifications, or
• theft.

If Archos receives, during the applicable warranty period, notice of a defect in any hardware product, which is covered by Archos' warranty, Archos shall either repair or replace the defective product at Archos' option.

If Archos is unable to repair or replace, as applicable, a defective product which is covered by Archos' warranty, Archos shall within a reasonable time after being notified of the defect, refund the purchase price for the product.

Archos shall have no obligation to repair, replace or refund until the customer returns the defective product to Archos.

Any replacement product may be either new or like-new, provided that it has functionality at least equal to that of the product being replaced.

Archos' limited warranty is only valid in the country of purchase.

IF YOU NEED ASSISTANCE
1. Call the Archos Customer Service Center at 1-877-300-8879 (toll free).

2. A Customer Service Representative will assist you.

3. Returned equipment must be packaged properly, using either the original shipping
materials or the packaging in which the replacement equipment is shipped. Include a copy of the Proof of Purchase. Any items returned without a copy of the Proof of Purchase will be considered out of warranty. Follow the instructions given to you by the Customer Service Representative.

Are you going to buy the PocketDISH??

If so, the Denver Post would like to speak to you, today.
I'm Kimberly Johnson, business reporter at the Denver Post. I'm writing a story about the portable player and would like to speak to a few people that are interested in buying the device. If you're not interested in buying it, I'd like to hear from you as well.

What's great about it? (Or not?)
How long have you been a DISH customer?
Which model are you planning on buying?
How do you plan to use it?
Is the price fair?
Do you own any other portable media player? (Ipod, etc...)

I'm on deadline for Tuesday, 4:30 p.m. MT time.

Thank you,
Kimberly Johnson
Business Reporter
The Denver Post
kjohnson (at)
denverpost (dot) com

I have really enjoyed the Pocket Dish, Picture quality is very good from the USB port, video quality from analog video however is poor but watchable. I am supprised that a unit is made in 16X9 & only currently works with the 942 for usb downloading will do hd in any form. (hopefully that will change & at least let us record downrezed hd content. Hope its not like the Dish Wire ports on the 921. I plugged it in to my 942 to download & realized that all my stored programs are in HD. Had to set it to record a movie on one of the SD channels. Got the notice about a battery problem & sent it back for exchange. I am having withdrawals. Same of stuff for the Dish Billionaires for their dealers with a defective product, pay for it, if its defective send it back at your expense & we use your money for a while.

Correction to my description of recording on Pocket Dish
will not! do HD recording in any form.

I have a question for anyone who used the Pocket Dish, Did you have any battery issues? I did not however I never ran it more than a couple of hours on a charge. After reading some press on the new video Ipod I am wondering about some other possible reasons they wanted the Pocket Dish units returned.

Did anyone ever connect to a computer & download content & burn a DVD?

I did not have mine long enough to try that but it that worked that may have been a bigger issue than the battery. Just a thought

Video Ipod seems pretty lame in comparision to the Pocket Dish
Not to interested in paying $1.99 / download of ABC shows.

I don't want a PocketDish, I just want them to make a PVR that allows me to offload my programs, then I can put them on my laptop rather than buying a box that just plays video, plus I could backup to DVD's...of course I highly doubt they will ever make that a feature. Heck, I'd even pay a couple extra bucks a month for the priveledge.

CU2000 said:
Picture quality is very good from the USB port, video quality from analog video however is poor but watchable.

Are you talking about playback on the pocket dish screen or when connected to a TV for playback?
looking at the Specs it records in Mpeg4 640X480 30 F/s
With these specs I would have expected very good PQ.
are there lower quality setting that can be selected during recording that you may have used?
I assume when recording from the USB port you are actually just copying the mpeg2 compressed files off the 942?
I was really wanting to get one but im going to wait for more reviews befor I decide.

Recording off USB very good, recording off composite video
from hard drive in 942 poor. It was a HD recording, only way to download it.. currently

Has anyone purchased the commercially available Archos units and tried to download from a Dish DVR? The specs for the Archos units say you can download to it from just about anything. (Much better than the IPod "video" player...)

I too am interested in one of the other archos units. If the av700 (at 100 gb) will receive transfers, I'd choose that over the av700e (at 40gb). I sure would like to know if we're tied to the "e" series!

AARGH!! No 921 Support??

Come on Dish Network! I paid 600 for this thing! The 921 is Linux based, has a USB port.. How hard could the implimentation be? Sheesh!

On another note, Seems to me there is a spot in the front of this unit for a DVD recorder. Any plans for doing this? or has someone made a hack for this?

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)