Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Because we are always looking to give you the local breaking news we are offering a $50 CASH REWARD to the FIRST SatelliteGuys member who can post pictures of their new DirecTV MPEG4 install and screen shots of the new MPEG4 channels.

Here are the rules:

1) This contest is NOT open to DirecTV employees or their installers, all enteries must state "I am not a DirecTV employee or a paid installer who installs DirecTV"

2) The SatelliteGuys must take digital photos and post them to SatelliteGuys.US, these photos must show the following, a photo of the new DirecTV MPEG4 Dish, a photo of the new multi dish switch used (if possible), a photo of the H-20 MPEG4 Receiver, and screen shots of the Detroit MPEG4 Channels being received from DirecTV, including a photo of the Detroit MPEG4 channels listed on the on screen program guide.

3) The FIRST member to post all photos asked for along with a mini review of their install will win $50 cash. The winner will be decided based on the time stamp of their post and once their screen shots of the guide are verified will be declared the winner.

4) Decision of the SatelliteGuys judges is final.

To enter just post your mini review and photos to this thread. If you need any help please contact any SatelliteGuys staff member and they will try their best to help you out!

Thanks for your help in showing the world that DirecTV has launched MPEG4 High Definition LIL service!

GOOD LUCK!!

riffjim4069 said:
Hmmm. I predict someone from the Metro Detroit area is gonna win this contest. :smug

good one.

this is a nice contest for someone to win an easy 50 bucks in cash. i look forward to seeing the pictures. i would not be surprised if someone posts pictures very soon.

How about also throwing in requiring a picture of the signal strength screen for a SW1 transponder?

I think someone mentioned an install tomorrow.

We shall see....

Can't wait to see this. It should be good.

My buddy in the Detroit DMA had an install scheduled for today..

They showed up in the AM...with the wrong Dish, and no receiver at all..

Then they told my buddy that they could not install it on his deck railing even if they had bothered showing up with the right equipment..

My buddy lives somwhere where theres a HOA, so his deck railing is his only option...

I told him that I wouldnt expect anything less from D*, and he hasnt talked to me since...LOL :)

guffy1 said:
My buddy in the Detroit DMA had an install scheduled for today.. They showed up in the AM...with the wrong Dish, and no receiver at all.. Then they told my buddy that they could not install it on his deck railing even if they had bothered showing up with the right equipment.. My buddy lives somwhere where theres a HOA, so his deck railing is his only option... I told him that I wouldnt expect anything less from D*, and he hasnt talked to me since...LOL :)

Does he RENT? AND ALSO, the installers are contracted, so it would ultimately be THEIR FAULT that they didn't bring all the hardware, or the correct hardware. You can hardly blame DirecTV for that. You can however call DirecTV and request another contractor and tell them exactly why so maybe that contractor is never used again. Also file a complaint against that contractor with the BBB.

The railing is not sturdy enough to hold that monster dish in place is what they are telling him...

Im sure its probably just a case of an installer that dosent wanna deal with a "challenging" install..

We will see, but it seems like my buddy is going to just give up and go with Star Choice instead...

I have seen the railing in question, and it definately is not very sturdy...

They should have told him to mount it on the side of his house instead. Most deck installs are on balconies of apartment complexes.

CPanther95 said:
They should have told him to mount it on the side of his house instead. Most deck installs are on balconies of apartment complexes.

Yeah, I did suggest just installing it somewhere else...

For some reason my buddy is hell bent on the deck install though, so its pretty much his problem at this point..

I have tried suggesting some alternate install ideas, and I suggested that he check out the FCC guidelines to see whats allowed as far as his condo goes..

Hes pretty much being a stubborn knucklehead about it though :)

BTW, his place is set up just like an apartment complex pretty much, but they call them condos, and he owns his..

Depending how the condo is set up, the FCC guidelines may not apply. The deck may be his only option. It's doubtful he is the "owner" of any outside walls or the roof (even if he's on the top floor).

CPanther95 said:
Depending how the condo is set up, the FCC guidelines may not apply. The deck may be his only option. It's doubtful he is the "owner" of any outside walls or the roof (even if he's on the top floor).

Yep, exactly...

Im pretty sure that the deck is his only option, but Im not sure..

Either way, there has to be a way to make that deck work I would think..

guffy1 said:
BTW, his place is set up just like an apartment complex pretty much, but they call them condos, and he owns his..

YEP! He has a conservancy and there are SOME rules that may differ from a traditional single family home with regards to common grounds property, but if he OWNS it, the dish can be mounted ANYWHERE on his property and/or structure regardless of what they say in the covenant. HOWEVER, if HE is hellbent on the deck install as you say, then you are 100% correct that it is HIS problem. I can see an installer not wanting to do a heavy dish on a shaky rail knowing that they will get a call back to redo it.

charper1 said:
YEP! He has a conservancy and there are SOME rules that may differ from a traditional single family home with regards to common grounds property, but if he OWNS it, the dish can be mounted ANYWHERE on his property and/or structure regardless of what they say in the covenant. HOWEVER, if HE is hellbent on the deck install as you say, then you are 100% correct that it is HIS problem. I can see an installer not wanting to do a heavy dish on a shaky rail knowing that they will get a call back to redo it.

Yeah, Im not really up on all the FCC rules...

I directed him to the right spot to learn about the rules, now the ball is in his court..

I basically told him if you want D* installed at your condo you are going to have to do a little research into your rights and be willing to make some form of an effort..

He didnt like that...LOL :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)