SatelliteGuys MPEG4 Contest!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Good Job Mkottman, I am sure this is keeping you busy. :)

Please PM me your address so I can send you your prize. :D

Thanks for all your hard work on this.

ok which grammar challenged satguys member wrote the message on the signal screen and threw in an unnecessary the saying "your the receiver is..." :D

Hehehe that is funny, even I notced that. :)

BTW I notice that AVS is giving us a "First look" at the DirecTV Mpeg4 channels, funny I looked at the first look and didn't see anything no pictures or anything, nor did I see anything posted which wasn't posted here to SatelliteGuys yet, WAY TO GO KEN! :D

mkottman said:
I did not have any service before this install so I have nothing to compare to. Its kind of overcast today maybe that has something to do with it?

I also agree those numbers should be stronger. I am assuming a dish with more surface area should have a higher gain figure that what we have now so I would expect numbers to at least equal what I get now and those look low to me.

hey guys, for whats it worth, the install guys have told me that new HD recievers dont show the true number, the techs here used a meter outside to measure????

Well the numbers for the Ka sats are probably meaningless right now since only a few transponders on 103 have been fully powered and 99 isn't even up. I don't see why the Ku sats, 101, 110, and 119, would be reported differently than they are on other recievers.

I am a little worried....how do I know that I am getting HD locals...For example.. I have two..NBC's..one does come in and one does not, is it the HD one!!!!...Help from anyone or any other local detroit customer who have installs

Satjay could be on to the clue, like a pc's clock not being accurate time to time, same goes for the clock and other "measuring" devices on your receiver; the software (firmware) may not be dialed in accurately yet.

The HD channel from the sat is the channel number with the call letters in the guide and HD markings on the HD shows. The SD channel says DTand the number of the station. OTAs have a dash and their psip number -1,-2,

mkottman said:
Local channels 80 CBSE, 81 CBSW, 82 NBCE, 83 NBCW, 86 ABCE, 87 ABCW, 88 FOXE, 89 FOXW show up on my channel guide.
But do you receive any of them? Did you have any of the DNS feeds before getting the MPEG4 receiver?

And thanks much for all the pics and the info. :)

looks like they will back........signal strength seems to be the issue...I guess being the test market has ups and DOWNS....

keenan said:
But do you receive any of them? Did you have any of the DNS feeds before getting the MPEG4 receiver?

And thanks much for all the pics and the info. :)

I am not able to receive any local 80-series channels because I get a "Channel not purchased" message. I did not have any sat service prior to getting the H20 so I have nothing to compare to before the MPEG4 except getting OTA local HD networks.

mkottman said:
I am not able to receive any local 80-series channels because I get a "Channel not purchased" message. I did not have any sat service prior to getting the H20 so I have nothing to compare to before the MPEG4 except getting OTA local HD networks.
Okay, thanks for the response. :)

keenan said:
Okay, thanks for the response. :)

Since I know that you've been reading the thread over at AVSForum.com, I know you know that the user over there kept receiving his O&O HD feeds.

That being said, it's most likely a temporary thing until DirecTV can get an MPEG4 HD-DVR out to replace the HD-TiVo's with in that market since the HD feeds going away after HD-LIL becomes available is the main reason why DirecTV was able to get the HD feeds for O&Os in the first place.

I do have to wonder if anyone in Detroit without an MPEG-2 (only) HD receiver is still receiving the NY feeds in HD, or if it's just for those with HD-TiVo's?!

~Alan

The O&O MPEG2 feeds probably wont be turned off for a while until pretty much everyone is switched and satisifed. Delivery of the network owned stations to the out of market network owned stations is really just an agreement with the network and not FCC related, so I'm sure they network allows them to keep send the signal in until they no longer need it.

The FCC rule that would apply for HDLIL would be if a customer lives in a local dma but cannot receive a local digital signal over the air, they're eligible for a waiver to get distants from the satellite. But when the sat company starts delivering their local station over the satellite, the satellite company has to turn off the distant signal in 60 days

BFG said:
The O&O MPEG2 feeds probably wont be turned off for a while until pretty much everyone is switched and satisifed.

The O&O MPEG2 feeds will still stay on the satellites because of DNS, but the HD networks in O&O markets could technically be switched off at any time, but evidently DirecTV has chosen (very smartly, too) not to!

BFG said:
Delivery of the network owned stations to the out of market network owned stations is really just an agreement with the network and not FCC related, so I'm sure they network allows them to keep send the signal in until they no longer need it.

Correct! Which is what I was trying to say, however, once everybody in that DMA is switched over (which due to the probable number of HD-TiVos in the Detroit DMA will probably be a at least until Summer), but I'm sure it won't be a minute longer than they need to since DirecTV was able to get the O&O agreement was on the agreement that once HD-LIL became available, the O&O feeds would be cut off.

BFG said:
The FCC rule that would apply for HDLIL would be if a customer lives in a local dma but cannot receive a local digital signal over the air, they're eligible for a waiver to get distants from the satellite. But when the sat company starts delivering their local station over the satellite, the satellite company has to turn off the distant signal in 60 days

You bring up a good point there! Will the AVS user no longer be receiving the NY HD feed(s) in 60 days, or will they wait to shut him off after DirecTV replaces his HD-TiVo with an MPEG4 DVR?!

~Alan

I just received a software update for my H20 receiver via the sat! It seems to fix the sound vs. picture out of sync. problem for the MPEG4 local HD channels. :clap Here are some screen shots of the before and after system info screens.

Attachments

• DSC02045_A.JPG
    DSC02045_A.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 683
  • DSC02046_A.JPG
    DSC02046_A.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 593
  • DSC02051.JPG
    DSC02051.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 553
  • DSC02052_A.JPG
    DSC02052_A.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 590
  • DSC02053_A.JPG
    DSC02053_A.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 663
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)