SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Discussion - Week Ending 01/12/2008

Initially paying 10 bucks more for VOOM, which carried forward to the now $20 isn't free. I have always defended the VOOM channels, but they don't have the same value to me since they cut back in their programming. On 2/1, I will drop to the $10 HD tier. I could care less for VOOM and the other 5 channels in the second tier. I don't perceive those channels to be worth an additional $10 per month. If the programming situation improves, I can always add them back. Ten dollars a month is ten dollars a month more in my pocket. Why feed the pig anymore than I have to. :)
free to charlie.. he charges whatever he wants

All the channels like Film Fest and Monsters HD have resorted to playing two movies a day in rotation for 24 or more hours. Three days later the same movies pop up, dozens and dozens of time per month.

I used to love Monsters HD specifically, but it has really turned to sh*t.

I used to defend Voom. Not anymore.

Not too many years ago, USA's programming was not much different than you describe here. The same 1 or 2 movies over and over, sometimes back to back. My point here is that Voom's programming could improve.

Not too many years ago, USA's programming was not much different than you describe here. The same 1 or 2 movies over and over, sometimes back to back. My point here is that Voom's programming could improve.
I remeber when USA was split with MSG (early 1980's)

I am not on the attack. I never attacked anyone. I made the observation that dumping on Voom is in vogue now. That is all I said. None of the stretch-o-vision or other threads complaining about other so-called HD channels ever consistantly call for the services to be dropped. With Voom, that is a different story. People (many different people in independent threads) consistantly call for Voom to be removed for "'real' HD channels like DirecTV has." Never mind that half the "real" HD channels have absolutely no HD programming or, at most, one TV show a week in HD. Never mind that the "real" HD channels are generally re-run channels 24/7 or at least 90% of the program schedule. There is a consistant call for removal of 15 channels with unique and entertaining 24/7 honest-to-goodness HD channels because of repeats?

It is an observation, not a critisizm nor attack. It is completely irrational, but it is, for whatever reason, fashionable to discard channels with unique (programming not available anywhere else) in favor of stretch-o-vision or up-converted reruns of Sanford and Son and Punky Brewster 15 minute episode marathons with the occasional HD re-run of CSI Podunk!

:)

See ya
Tony

Amen! If ya aint got much use for PBS, ya aint got use for 1/2 of the Voom channels. I love PBS, and thus I really like Voom.

I do stipulate to the fact that Voom needs to rework their current schedule. The every 3 to 6 hours loop is not good. They need to, at least, go to a scheduling rotation like Discovery uses.

It seems that when people characterize the "Voom channels", they are really talking about the "Voom Movie Channels".

In fact, I think they are really only talking about "MonstersHD" and "KungFuHD"...

I do stipulate to the fact that Voom needs to rework their current schedule. The every 3 to 6 hours loop is not good. They need to, at least, go to a scheduling rotation like Discovery uses.

I hear ya, but Bad example. :) Take a look at Discovery Science's schedule. Go forward 3 hours. wash, rinse, repeat. :)

Discovery Science and many other channels out there now repeat a three hour block of programming 8 times a day, then change the three hours of programs and start another day. The change usually happens at 6pm-8pm or so so it seems the channel has 6 hours of programming a day when it really doesn't. :)

See ya
Tony

HGTV does that with its last four hours of programming (8pm-midnight ET/PT); except everything's an hour off due to Arizona and Daylight Savings Time here. (i.e. we don't have it)

I am not on the attack. I never attacked anyone. I made the observation that dumping on Voom is in vogue now. ....

Voom made radical changes to their programming on November 15, at least on the few channels that I watched, and based on others' comments - all of the others have been apparently been degraded in similar fashion.

I dont' think criticisng their degraded programming is at all unfair, or that it amounts to dumping. Having started an 18 month contract with Dish on October 14th, a decision that I made partially based on the appeal of the programming on a few of the Voom channels, I feel a bit betrayed and shortchanged, and I thinik we have every right to complain about the downward shift at Voom.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts