SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Discussion - Week Ending 01/26/2008

I think MGM is on C-band with digicipher, that must be on the Galaxy 23 portion of the sat and as of now is not available on the E* system.

Also 7 Mpeg4 per transponder on 61.5! Dish is really pushing the limit's!

It's actually just about everywhere. We saw the initial test on 61.5 a few weeks ago. We even did two polls on the HD quality on 61.5 and 129 and if I remember right, the majority of the people said they didn't notice a difference.

It is on D* ,But I saw this last night on Lynsat and just wonding why I didn't see it. And then I saw it was on the 121,Which I don't get. But now I see it was C band only. But still if its on E* satellite why doesn't E* have it?

Echostar 9 (Telstar 13, Intelsat Americas 13, Galaxy 23)

Read the part about the C Band payload. That being said, it's legally not on Echostar's bird. Even if it was say on 121 KU on the Echostar 9 side, just because Echostar backhauls something for someone, it doesn't mean Dish Network will have it. 121 ku-band is quite often used for backhauls.

It is on D* ,But I saw this last night on Lynsat and just wonding why I didn't see it. And then I saw it was on the 121,Which I don't get. But now I see it was C band only. But still if its on E* satellite why doesn't E* have it?

I believe DISH has been using 121 for some special programming for businesses. They're using it to broadcast some Met opera stuff in HD to participating movie theatres. It's possible that this is for that purpose.

DISH isn't installing any new dishes that can see 121, and they're phasing out the Superdish, so I don't think they would put anything on 121 that was meant for "end user" consumption at this point.

It's hard to blame your "plight" on your apparent lack of research. As a DirecTV customer you probably should have been aware of their satellite launch that allowed them to do what their marketing efforts said they would, expand their HD offerings.

Companies will bend the truth to outright lie to get your business, no matter what they're selling. It's up to you to look at the facts to determine who should get your business. You have no one to blame but yourself!!

You're an ________. So it's acceptable for Dish and/or it's retailers to lie. I guess I have more ethical standards in my line of work. It's great you expect so little from the companies you do business with.

Last edited:
Darren,

I agree with cosmo, I told you before and I'll tell you again: "You have no one to blame but yourself!!"

If that makes me an ____ so be it but we're just telling you what we think. If you want to switch to Directv, just do it and stop making your life miserable.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's actually just about everywhere. We saw the initial test on 61.5 a few weeks ago. We even did two polls on the HD quality on 61.5 and 129 and if I remember right, the majority of the people said they didn't notice a difference.

So what's to keep them from doing it on all transponders? Sure would allow for quite a bit more channels if each transponder had 7 MPEG4 HDs. Wait for it??? .... or is there more to it???

So what's to keep them from doing it on all transponders? Sure would allow for quite a bit more channels if each transponder had 7 MPEG4 HDs. Wait for it??? .... or is there more to it???

Did you look at the links? There's not many that aren't like this.

You're an _____.
Thanks for the intellectual discussion.

I never said it was acceptable for retailers to lie. I said it's a common occurance that is not going away. It's up to us, the consumer to make an educated choice based on information we can gather. I just feel that there's misplaced anger towards Dish for a decision that is ultimately yours.

After I bought my widescreen CRT a few years ago and finally upgraded to HD in late '06 I noticed it only had one DVI and no HDMI inputs. Was I mad at Sony that there weren't any HDMI inputs? No, it was my fault for not knowing enough about the technology when I made my purchase....

Darren,

I agree with cosmo, I told you before and I'll tell you again: "You have no one to blame but yourself!!"

If that makes me an ____ so be it but we're just telling you what we think. If you want to switch to Directv, just do it and stop making your life miserable.
Or do what I do. Have both E* and D* and just pick which one you want to bitch about this week. They both Lie in some way shape or form. We have to just accept it.

As I think I (and others) have mentioned before, one strategy DN might be contemplating is to load up the transponders and simply ignore any degradation in signal that might occur (real or perceived) to enable them to make a big "splash" with X number of new HD channels, all at once. Then, should they wish, they could throttle the number back down when the new sats go up.

Even IF that were the case it's anyone's guess (and that's all we have) as to WHEN it would occur. It stands to reason that the ideal time to announce the channels was CES, simultaneously with the new packages, in order to let subscribers get hooked on the new stuff. That not having occurred who knows when new HD is coming down the pike? If it's true that the USA/SciFi-HD thingie is contractual then even DN can't know when they will launch.

C'mon folks.... keep it clean and the fighting out of the uplink threads. I'm close to splitting this thread out to the warzone.

DIgiblur I thought that ALL the internationals were moving to the 118.5 sat so why are they still listed on 61.5 sat? ALso how many mpeg4 channels can they safely add before the picture degrades sharply that you know of?

DIgiblur I thought that ALL the internationals were moving to the 118.5 sat so why are they still listed on 61.5 sat? ALso how many mpeg4 channels can they safely add before the picture degrades sharply that you know of?

They aren't finished yet and also if I remember correctly so packages will stay on 61.5 due to some US territories can not get 118.7.

Not sure of the MPEG4 question... some folks will say they are at the brink right now, some will say they are over the limit already.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)