SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Discussion - Week Ending 08/11/2007

They rent the 105 sat from year to year so they could end that lease . The 121 sat is Echostar 9, I think, so they must use that one. But they could use it for business customers and not for residential at all. It makes good sense to consolidate all international channels to one sat instead of spreading them out over 4 as they have done up to now. My question is when will we learn which sats are going to be used for the new sat service in mpeg 4? I read now that they will be launched next year, instead of December as Charlie said at Team summit. THis will mean that DISH better get to moving all hd to mpeg 4 if they want to compete with Directv till they get the new sats up next year. IF they could put all hd to mpeg 4 they would be able to squeeze upto 6 hd channels per transponder with no picture quality issues. THis means they could keep adding the national channels in hd to compete, but they won't match the hd lils that Directv are continuing to add at a fast rate.

As to the 129 sat issues, I don't know what DISH is waiting for, in replacing this one. THey need a good stable signal for no issues on their picture for most of the southwest of the country. THey really need to think of moving one of the spares not being used to the spot and let this 129 sat up there plummet to its death. BY next year this will be a non issue for the new mpeg 4 service but it is still a reason for some people to go to Directv instead of DISH because of problems with HD off of this sat.

MikeD-C05; said:
They rent the 105 sat from year to year so they could end that lease . The 121 sat is Echostar 9, I think, so they must use that one. But they could use it for business customers and not for residential at all. It makes good sense to consolidate all international channels to one sat instead of spreading them out over 4 as they have done up to now. My question is when will we learn which sats are going to be used for the new sat service in mpeg 4? I read now that they will be launched next year, instead of December as Charlie said at Team summit. THis will mean that DISH better get to moving all hd to mpeg 4 if they want to compete with Directv till they get the new sats up next year. IF they could put all hd to mpeg 4 they would be able to squeeze upto 6 hd channels per transponder with no picture quality issues. THis means they could keep adding the national channels in hd to compete, but they won't match the hd lils that Directv are continuing to add at a fast rate.

As to the 129 sat issues, I don't know what DISH is waiting for, in replacing this one. THey need a good stable signal for no issues on their picture for most of the southwest of the country. THey really need to think of moving one of the spares not being used to the spot and let this 129 sat up there plummet to its death. BY next year this will be a non issue for the new mpeg 4 service but it is still a reason for some people to go to Directv instead of DISH because of problems with HD off of this sat.

I know the PNW has had problems with E5 since they mirrorred it. Has the SW had problems all along or is it a more recent development? What other parts of the country have problems I wonder? Is there any part of the country where it works as intended with a single 1000 dish? What spares do they have that could be swapped to take E5's place in the near term?

As to the 129 sat issues, I don't know what DISH is waiting for, in replacing this one. THey need a good stable signal for no issues on their picture for most of the southwest of the country. THey really need to think of moving one of the spares not being used to the spot and let this 129 sat up there plummet to its death..

The one big reason is they don't own the bird at 129. It's a canadian bird they lease. It's a canadian slot so they can't just move something in there. There's a LOT of paperwork involved. I don't know if you can even move an american owned bird permanently into canadian license space. I know you can move in there temporarily, but I don't know how long they can stay.

The new ciel bird for 129 is scheduled for midyear I think.

The one big reason is they don't own the bird at 129. It's a canadian bird they lease. It's a canadian slot so they can't just move something in there. There's a LOT of paperwork involved. I don't know if you can even move an american owned bird permanently into canadian license space. I know you can move in there temporarily, but I don't know how long they can stay.

The new ciel bird for 129 is scheduled for midyear I think.

The own the bird but not the transponder license.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts