SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Discussion- Week Ending 10/13/2007

You are right. Focus on channels that add value. HDPPV. NHL Center Ice. NBA league pass. Added value for dish deep pockets. Not for its subs.

Two things! First, I'm not sure that Dish will continue to offer 8 channels of HD-PPV movies indefinately........but why not use the available bandwidth until these channels are replaced with national HD channels? Second, if you are a customer(and a sports fan) who typically purchases NBA league pass and/or NHL center ice.......there is certainly added value to having these games available in HD! I would guess that TBS-HD was added partly because many sports fans wanted the channel to view the baseball playoffs in HD.....not because Direct TV has the channel and Dish had to answer. Added value! I realize that this is somewhat subjective or a matter of taste, but I personally feel that Dish has done a fairly good job of offering a variety of HD programming.

Really what has Dtv added that means anything.
Dish has Voom. Enough said. It is the HD suite of channels my family watches the most.
The more national HDs the better though.
All will come with time.
The biggest issue will be resolution.

so let's get real; who do you think Charlie is ultimately trying to please - the customers or the stock holders?

Ok lets get real. You cannot have one without the other. Most of the time the stock holders are subs.

It isnt a lack of memory as to what charlie had before D*, it is the fact he vowed to continue to be the HD leader. Maybe I am being impatient, but, when i see nothing new on the uplink/radar at all, I wonder how serious he was when he said that... notably, it isnt like he has a lack of bandwidth available to him. With all internationals now being on 118.7, whats 121 which he OWNS doing? Nothing ;0 Yes a DBS slot is way better, but still, who would complain to have him fill up a seemingly empty satellite with HD in the interim? 105 is a poor satellite, but it too could be used... He does have options in the interim. I dont deny he has done good, I just think that he isnt as serious about being the leader as he claims to be.

121 and 105 aren't really options because it would cost E* a fair bit of money to equip HD subscribers with dishes that can receive those orbit spots. A better solution would have been for them to use 118.7 for HD, then move the intl's off the FSS satellites later.

The biggest issue will be resolution.
That's a myth.
In the case of HD over satellite, picture quality is determined by bitrate, not resolution.
If E* increased the resolution of all the MPEG4 channels, the picture quality would be worse, not better.
Engineering is not as simple as people seem to think.
For example, there are plenty of cars that would perform worse with an engine with more horsepower...

Are you trying to say NBC-Universal and Food Network are abandoning HD and going back to producing shows in SD? Why would they produce a show in HD for the 2005 and 2006 seasons and then go back to their old equipment and produce the show in SD? I really don't think there is a lot of this one step forward, two steps back stuff going on. You may have cited a few examples (I wouldn't know since I don't watch those shows) but I think overall, the channels are putting more and more HD on the air, little by little, not the other direction. No?
You misunderstand.
Very few programs just take HD, record it, and then throw the recording up to the affiliates. Jay Leno and Letterman and maybe a few others. If you watch the News shows, you'll see that most of the features are still in SD.
If you do a web search for "Good Eats HD", you'll find the web site of a guy who processes the Good Eats shows in HD. It sounds like it takes him days or weeks before he sends the finished product back to Food Network.
So (I just checked), this week, they are finally showing a few episodes of Good Eats that were on the SD channel in February of 2007, thus a 9 month delay.
Big shows like House, Lost, Heroes get big ad revenue, and they can afford in-house HD production. The lesser "cable networks" like USA and Food Network cannot afford that yet. In order to show the SD and HD versions at the same time, they would have to delay their entire programming by 9 months, and just show repeats for most of a year. That ain't gonna happen. They may throw some money into catching up - when everyone else is in HD.
The Olympics in 2008 should be a big HD event, and I expect a lot more HD content in Fall 2008. E* should have 2 more satellites on-line by then...

It isnt a lack of memory as to what charlie had before D*, it is the fact he vowed to continue to be the HD leader. Maybe I am being impatient, but, when i see nothing new on the uplink/radar at all, I wonder how serious he was when he said that... notably, it isnt like he has a lack of bandwidth available to him. With all internationals now being on 118.7, whats 121 which he OWNS doing? Nothing ;0 Yes a DBS slot is way better, but still, who would complain to have him fill up a seemingly empty satellite with HD in the interim? 105 is a poor satellite, but it too could be used... He does have options in the interim. I dont deny he has done good, I just think that he isnt as serious about being the leader as he claims to be.

Well, you got one thing right! (see in bold above)
And the part about Charlie not being serious...:rolleyes:

I would like to see USAHD launched and then E* focus on getting the Locals up in HD for all markets. I think there is a lot of people viewing locals and a lot of those people can't get their locals in HD unless it is through E*. Folks like myself can't use an OTA to get their locals so we have to wait, and for my family, well, the wife and I, we watch a ton of shows on ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX.

I think that you need to read the following post by Digiblur. This will explain a lot of why we AREN'T seeing anything in the uplink reports.

Hold your horses folks... they are quietly doing something in the background. They are not going to show us their actions again and make the same mistake that caused their TBS snafu.

We are seeing a shift in the form of DishNetwork testing new HD services for it subscribers. They are not going to make the same mistake again.....

Obviously, E* is hiding their cards and will show them when they are ready. I also think that some staff members want to reveal what is hidden up there and some don't.

then why frustrate their cust.some have changed over to d* because of this hold off,i personally have the 250 with hbo,stars,and cinemax,plus the hd i would like to see a little more return on my invest.just me being annoyed with d*getting some hd channels that i want like scifi,usa,bravo,etc.

then why frustrate their cust.some have changed over to d* because of this hold off,i personally have the 250 with hbo,stars,and cinemax,plus the hd i would like to see a little more return on my invest.just me being annoyed with d*getting some hd channels that i want like scifi,usa,bravo,etc.

How long did D* customers have to wait to get these new channels? Dish will add most of these new channels next year after the new satellites are launched and operational. They MAY have enough room to add a few more national HD channels this year, but that is the reality of the situation. You have two choices: be patient with Dish and be grateful that they still offer more then most......or jump ship and go to D*.

How long did D* customers have to wait to get these new channels? Dish will add most of these new channels next year after the new satellites are launched and operational. They MAY have enough room to add a few more national HD channels this year, but that is the reality of the situation. You have two choices: be patient with Dish and be grateful that they still offer more then most......or jump ship and go to D*.

'Nuff said.:up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts