SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Discussion - Week Ending 12/01/2007

my quest. to digi is what does all the shifting mean totally,r we getting anything new r they setting up for x-mas or what..lol..

Looks like all the SkyAngel stuff on E3 TP 32 has been cleared. I wonder if TP32 is having problems...

TP32 looks healthy. And there's still channels assigned to it.

Is it true the internationals are staying on 61.5 and 118.7, but being removed from the 121 location by years end?

No and yes. Internationals are being consolidated to 118.7. I can't recall but I remember some stuff staying on 61.5.

I had someone who got a call for the free international upgrade, when the installer showed up first claimed he didn't bring the 121 upgrade kit, then said not needed because 61.5 will still have them in the future. This was for the Portuguese Package, and they had 61.5,110,119, and 121 for locations.

I had someone who got a call for the free international upgrade, when the installer showed up first claimed he didn't bring the 121 upgrade kit, then said not needed because 61.5 will still have them in the future. This was for the Portuguese Package, and they had 61.5,110,119, and 121 for locations.

It depends on the internationals. I remember someone posting a a PDF of what markets needed to be converted to 118.7. I think it was Scott or another installer. Do some searching or maybe they'll see this and repost it here.

This has been going through my mind for a while about how DIsh is not using their orbital slots very effectively. I would like to add my 2 cents about how they could remedy this in the short term. There is duplication of HD channels on 61.5 and 129 - so do this: Switch 121 and 129 - I understand current 121 is not CONUS this wont matter. Use new 121 (old 129) only for mpeg 4 HD and move it all to there with no duplication on 61.5 (Hello superdish!). If DTV can sell there crap to Bell, this should be able to happen. Easily over 150 HD channel capacity. Use new 129 for only west locals and move them all there. Who cares if you can not see it in the east because you need to dig a 10,000 mile tunnel? All east locals (only) go on 61.5 - they are already wanting to go spot beam mode anyways from an earlier post. If there is an extra need, put them on 110 after taking off the HD channels currently there. Put the international channels on 118 as they are already doing, along with HD LIL's.

I really dont see why, with some rearranging they cant free up alot more capacity to make us HD fans happy. I have bought a new 211 receiver but have not activated it yet because of the uncertainty expressed in these forums.

Opinions?

Satboyz

This has been going through my mind for a while about how DIsh is not using their orbital slots very effectively. I would like to add my 2 cents about how they could remedy this in the short term. There is duplication of HD channels on 61.5 and 129 - so do this: Switch 121 and 129 - I understand current 121 is not CONUS this wont matter. Use new 121 (old 129) only for mpeg 4 HD and move it all to there with no duplication on 61.5 (Hello superdish!).

One big problem. Echo 5 can't go to 121.

I'm not following you, 121 isn't CONUS and it won't matter if all the HD is there?

Do some research and see the original plan for the superdish.

switch 121 and 129 physically - I thought 129 was conus (I could be wrong). When 129 move to 121 it would be conus for all of the hd. Use old 121 at 129 for west local only (its not conus).

Maybe I did not explain well - just thinking and typing while bored at work :D

121 and 129 are different flavors of Ku satellites anyways. If I'm not mistaken, 129 is a DBS while 121 is an FSS, different frequencies allowed by the FCC. Wouldn't work for this reason.

Also keep in mind that 129 is ON LOAN from Canada. When the Canaian service wants that slot, Dish is out!

See ya
Tony

Not quite correct. Dish has a long term agreement to have use of at least half i.e., 16 of the TPs at 129 W. Dish may have use of some or all of the remaining 16 TPs depending on demand from other Canadian companies for use of these TPs. The line of sight problems with the 129 W slot are even worse as one moves north so the eastern part of Canada can not use it. This may limit Canadian demand for these TPs. Based on the fact that 129 W is not a fully CONUS slot and from some of the press releases awhile back on the Ciel-2 satellite (which is the replacement satellite for E-5), I would expect this new satellite to provide Dish with a great deal of spotbeam capabilities for all of the CONUS except the northeast. The signal strength problems in other parts of the U.S besides the northeast should be alleviated with the Ciel-2 satellite which is being specifically designed for the 129 W slot. The Ciel-2 satellite is scheduled for a late 2008 launch on a Proton. Expect to see more satellite launches on Protons in the future as a second launch pad for Protons is scheduled to go operational by mid 2008.

As a side note 129 W is a DBS Ku band slot while 121 W is a FSS Ku band slot that requires a Superdish sized dish for reception. The satellites at those two orbital locations are not interchangeable. I do believe 121 W is a CONUS slot though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts