SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report Discussion- Week Ending 02/02/08

This is an MPEG2 stream which is flagged so that only MPEG 4 capable receivers (ViP receivers) can receive it. It is a way to make sure subscribers dump their old receivers in favor of new ones. The 921 and 811 (MPEG2receivers) are slowly being phased out. Dish wants to make sure they do not make new packages available to receivers they want gone!
isn't 942 also only MPEG2?

Yeah they have the new Dish HD Plans on their site now..

I think that is confirmation that there will be nothing added today. If something were, why not hold off updating the site and channel listing until after the new channels were enabled?

I'm afriad we wont see anything until summer, which is quite pointeless for me, because programming will be in repeat mode, and i'll be enjoying the weather outside.

I think that is confirmation that there will be nothing added today. If something were, why not hold off updating the site and channel listing until after the new channels were enabled?

I'm afriad we wont see anything until summer, which is quite pointeless for me, because programming will be in repeat mode, and i'll be enjoying the weather outside.

I agree it shows there will be nothing new today. Otherwise that graphic would show it.

I know...about 11%...if it could only recover the other 40% it lost in the last 4 months it would be great.

but enough off topic....back to the uplink report.......:mad:

i wonder why the directv website's so slow today:D

Where on earth do you get "summer" ??

New satellite online in April, and Sky Angel kicked off on 3/31.

In any event, there are a lot of factors saying "so what" to new HD channels at this time:

- Writers' Strike

- Each channel wants to have its HD version up and running as a matter of prestige, however there is very little HD content out there. Even ABC and CBS still don't have their Nightly News in HD, and NBC's still has most of its onsite reports in SD. A&E-HD shows 24 repeats in 4x3 SD, even though they exist in HD, and the DVDs at Blockbuster are 16x9. :rolleyes:

- August will be the Olympics in HD, which will be the biggest HD TV sales event ever, and then in the Fall (assuming the strike is over), there will start to be significantly more HD content.

Last edited:
Where on earth do you get "summer" ??

New satellite online in April, and Sky Angel kicked off on 3/31.

In any event, there are a lot of factors saying "so what" to new HD channels at this time:

- Writers' Strike

- Each channel wants to have its HD version up and running as a matter of prestige, however there is very little HD content out there. Even ABC and CBS still don't have their Nightly News in HD, and NBC's still has most of its onsite reports in SD. A&E-HD shows 24 repeats in 4x3 SD, even though they exist in HD, and the DVDs at Blockbuster are 16x9. :rolleyes:

- August will be the Olympics in HD, which will be the biggest HD TV sales event ever, and then in the Fall (assuming the strike is over), there will start to be significantly more HD content.

"So what" for you.

There are shows in HD RIGHT now on SciFi and USA... Not to mention Battlestar Galatica in March. USA has the #1 rated program in Wrestling... i'm not a wrestling fan, but thats what people want. There is demand for it.

I'm assuming that the satellite will not go up unti April/May like has been said. Once that is up they dont flip a switch. I'm sure there's testing, delays, and misc Dish Network BS. I'd be very surprise to see anything off it until July. Has Dish given you any reason to believe they'll address HD with any kind of promptness?

So you're the guy who still watching Network TV news? I knew someone did.

PS Sorry for the Rant as there is now a dedicated thread to complaining. I was responding to a response to my post.

Tony, I actually think that the Dish lineup needs a redraw. Regular channels in the 100s, movies in the 200s, sports channels in the 300s, PPV in the 400s, DL in the 500s, internationals in the 600s-900s, Muzak in the 1000s, Sirius in the 1100s, then HD in the 1200s. HD locals would go in the 1300s and 1400s. Locals 2000s-4000s, test channels 5000s (tests in the 5000s and 5100s, BTV in the 5200s. It's not like Sky Angel makes a difference anymore!

Tony, I actually think that the Dish lineup needs a redraw. Regular channels in the 100s, movies in the 200s, sports channels in the 300s, PPV in the 400s, DL in the 500s, internationals in the 600s-900s, Muzak in the 1000s, Sirius in the 1100s, then HD in the 1200s. HD locals would go in the 1300s and 1400s. Locals 2000s-4000s, test channels 5000s (tests in the 5000s and 5100s, BTV in the 5200s. It's not like Sky Angel makes a difference anymore!

yeah that wouldn't make people completely freak out! :rolleyes:

IF you think DISH needs a realignment of its channels you ought to look at DIRECTV and their messed up disorganized channels. There is no rhyme or reason to where they put them. The news channels start on 201 and then you have to go to 350 to get to the other news channels. The sports channels start in the 200s and continue on in the 600s. The movies channels are in the 500s and to confuse everyone the pay view channels are in the 100s. DISH has always had a more logical alignment of channels. With the hd channels coming on line though they could use a realignment and do what DIrectv did. They just named their hd channels the same number as the sd channels and if they don't simulcast what the sd channel does they add a -1 to the channel. So Food channel is 231 and the hd version right underneath is 231-1. No need for hd channels in the 9000 range.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts