Satelliteguys.us lacks respect for patrons

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

SAEMike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I was really enjoying this website, and was going to donate because I think it's a wonderful resource for satellite owners.

Unfortunately this site suffers from bad policy making decisions.

If you dare swerve slightly off topic in a post (as you would in any conversation) you're post is immediately deleted and then you see a post from a moderator blasting you and informing you that (as if you were a three year old child) your behavior WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

It's very unfortunate that instead of treating patrons with respect, they have decided to act as if we are all children.

My big action that will "NOT BE TOLERATED", I apologized first for responding to something off topic, then made a one sentence rebuttle to something someone said.

YOUR ACTIONS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. YOU WILL FALL IN LOCKSTEP!

Oh well, still an ok site, no donation from my pocket though. Learn to treat people with respect.

That sucks.. when did that happen? The only reason i see would be about hacking... they're very anti-hack here.

Happened this morning. Don't get me wrong, I do understand the need to keep topics focused and some sense of order on the boards, but there's a big difference between doing that, and being disrespectful to the people who keep your website relevant.

Just seems that slight devations from the topic could be handled with a post asking people NICELY to stay on topic rather than deleting people's posts, and then posting a rude warning that their "inappropriate posts" would "NOT BE TOLERATED"

All of us have "bad" days, maybe that is the case and they will apologize if they were too harsh. Especially if it was your first warning.

The posts that were deleted this morning were deleted because they were either vulgar, off topic or flaming other posters. Threads are started for discussion on the subject of the thread not political debates. If you want to have a political debate do it in the Chit Chat forum where it belongs. The majority of users do not want to have to sift through a bunch of off topic posts to follow a thread. I have no problem with political posts just do it in the right forum.

As far as vulgar or flaming other posters it will not be tolerated. There is a wide age group that visits these forums. Keep your posts clean or don't post it at all. As far as flaming goes everyone has a right to post their opinion without being berated by another poster. If you don't agree with that poster then by all means you have the right to disagree but do so tactfully and respectfully.

Sean Mota and myself have had to correct way to many posts this past week from people who should know better. Hence the announcement. This board does have a liberal policy. We are a lot more forgiving then many other message boards but the line must be drawn somewhere. Slightly off topic is ok however, several posts consisting of several paragraphs is not slightly off topic.

Also some posts had to be deleted due to the fact that they were quoting the offensive posts. So some of it was calateral damage.

before you registered you had to agree to their rules, silversurfer (along with other administrators, and Moderators) is just doing his duty to enforce the rules that we all agreed to. I like this site, and I am one of those people that silversurfer talked about, I don't like looking at a thread and have to swim through other stuff that has nothing to do with the original thread. And as far as vulgar language or what ever, if they allow that, then someone will get offended, and gripe at them about allowing it to be posted.

The DBStalk forum is a lot more relaxed when it comes to posts.

Actually I think it is complete respect for other viewers if the posts are kept on topic and flames are moderated out. It is really annoying to have 500 different threads on the same subject. Posters should have the respect and curtesy for other readers to at least do a brief look to see if the topic is already started. This is the internet, it is very unlikely that you will really be the first one to post on a subject, and don't have to look to see if someone else has already posted.

It is also annoying to have a thread hijacked by a bunch of off topic threads.

Quite frankly this is a DBS satellite discussion site, flaming and such really are not welcome by the other viewers of the site so they should be removed.

It is a free internet, if you do not like the posting rules here move to another site that is more in with your style.

mike123abc said:
Actually I think it is complete respect for other viewers if the posts are kept on topic and flames are moderated out. It is really annoying to have 500 different threads on the same subject. Posters should have the respect and curtesy for other readers to at least do a brief look to see if the topic is already started. This is the internet, it is very unlikely that you will really be the first one to post on a subject, and don't have to look to see if someone else has already posted.

It is also annoying to have a thread hijacked by a bunch of off topic threads.

Quite frankly this is a DBS satellite discussion site, flaming and such really are not welcome by the other viewers of the site so they should be removed.

It is a free internet, if you do not like the posting rules here move to another site that is more in with your style.

I definately agree with you on the subject of thread hijacking (Nick comes to mind on this one). I also don't feel that flaming is appropriate. That's why I was suggesting DBStalk because they don't police their forums as much as this site does.

silversurfer01973 said:
Sean Mota and myself have had to correct way to many posts this past week from people who should know better. Hence the announcement. This board does have a liberal policy. We are a lot more forgiving then many other message boards but the line must be drawn somewhere. Slightly off topic is ok however, several posts consisting of several paragraphs is not slightly off topic.

Seriously, this is the disrepsectful attitude I am talking about. It's not the desire of the people who run the website to keep it so narrowly focused that iif you sneeze you're off topic, it's the disrespectful attitude they display. None of us are in third grade, and none of us deserve to be treated as we're on a playground being watched over by a dictatorial principal.

SAEMike said:
Seriously, this is the disrepsectful attitude I am talking about. It's not the desire of the people who run the website to keep it so narrowly focused that iif you sneeze you're off topic, it's the disrespectful attitude they display. None of us are in third grade, and none of us deserve to be treated as we're on a playground being watched over by a dictatorial principal.

SAEMike,

I do not think it was our intention to disrepect you or anybody. I spent quite a bit of time last week cleaning posts and threads. We tried to be fair to everyone and I have tolerated some language before and just look the other way. What is really sad is when personal attacks are done. It is not fair to us who have to read it and not fair to those that are attacked and feel offended.

As much as we tried to make everyone happy and every situation to be peaceful and as much as we tried to make this site to be useful to everyone, not everyone is happy for one reason or another. I always tried to keep an open mind and understand everyone's point. I really hope that everyone that comes here tried to see ours as well.

Mike, if I may, I hope you reconsider and don't let this incident keep you away from the site. We do listen to you guys and I personally apologize for anything that offended you or anybody. I hope I don't come across like I am taking sides. :)

Let's go back and enjoy the information in the forums.

I just sort of have one complaint on this subject. Yes, everyone has a right to an opinion. But some on the Voom forum have done nothing but agitate recently. These 2 people are causing 90% of the problems. I think you guys should begin banning these type of posters. Dissent should be encouraged. Occasional flaming should be allowed but discouraged. Consistent flamers should be banned. The problem is that these 2 individuals rile up otherwise productive users and cause them to behave inappropriately. I'm not excusing my or anyone else's lack of decorum, but you guys need to go to the root of the problem and fix it there. I think I heard somewhere that Scott is in exile from some other forum, and perhaps this site has a no-ban rule. If that's so, please communicate it better. Otherwise, the moderators here do outstanding work. Your dedication is a major part in what makes satelliteguys the best dbs forum there is.

Some people can't say a positive thing if their life depended on it. Complain of the weather, when it clears up, the sky's not blue enough.

I just say to *heck* with them. Ignore stupid people.

I say ban people only if they're trolling and no contributing.. like making a point one word in each post at a time.. you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)