SatelliteGuys Winegard Pathway X2 First Look

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Throughout the years no other name in the world of satellite antennas has meant quality more than Winegard. The very first satellite dish I ever purchased was a 10 foot Winegard C Band Satellite Dish. Over time the dishes have gotten smaller but one thing hasn’t changed is the quality of Winegard satellite equipment.

The good folks from Winegard shipped me their latest technological marvel the Winegard Pathway X2 Portable Satellite Antenna for DISH. DISH also sent me two DISH 211K receivers and invited me to go tailgating and test out their new system.

What makes the Winegard Pathway X2 different than other tailgating antennas is it is the first portable satellite antenna which can pick up either DISH’s Eastern Arc or Western Arc satellite locations. Previously automatic portable dishes could only tune to DISH’s Western Arc. For many on the East coast and in Florida it was hard and sometimes impossible to pick up the 129 orbital location satellite which is home to a majority of the HD channels that DISH offers. With the Winegard Pathway X2 able to pick up the new Eastern Arc, it now makes it possible for DISH customers to enjoy their programming everywhere.

Another thing that makes the Winegard Pathway X2 unique is you can output signal to two separate receivers at the same time. This will allow those with campers or elaborate tailgating setups to watch two separate live channels at the same time.

Weighing in at only 16 pounds the Pathway X2 is easy to take with you anywhere. When in stowed position the Pathway X2 measures at only 15 inches tall, and when deployed spins to become 20.75” fully deployed.

The Pathway X2 is powered via coax cable from any DISH ViP 211 or 411 receiver. No other power to the dish is necessary.

For our testing of the Pathway X2 we used two DISH 211K receivers. Setup was quite easy, so easy in fact that as long as you have a clear view of the sky and flat ground that anyone can setup one of these systems. The Pathway X2 includes one 25 foot RG6 coax cable. For using two receivers you must provide your own coax for the second receiver. Both receivers are hooked up to the Pathway X2. Once all hooked up you apply power to your TV and your satellite receiver. Once booted your DISH 211k series or 411 receivers will notice you are hooked up to a portable satellite dish and instruct you through the rest of the setup.

Setup is simple, you select how many receivers you have hooked up (one or two), The satellite arc you would like signals from (Western Arc at 110, 119 and 129 or Eastern Arc at 61.5 72.7 and 77) and where you are in the country. Once this info is set the Pathway X2 comes to life and starts moving and spinning as it finds the satellites in the sky.

The process to find the satellites takes under 3 minutes, and then it takes about 5 minutes or so for the satellite receivers to download programming info and guide data. When that is complete you are then watching live TV.

Here is a video showing the setup process for the Winegard Pathway X2

The Pathway X2 will pick up all standard DISH Network programming, including all high definition channels which you subscribe to, about the only thing the Pathway X2 will not pick up are the international channels on the 118.7 satellite.

Because you can use two receivers you can watch two different live programs at the same time, however it should be noted that the channels must be on the same satellite locations. In most cases this is not an issue, as most of the common channels are grouped on the same satellite. To find out what channels are on which satellite you can always check the Dish Channel Chart, which can be found at http://www.dishchannelchart.com.

Switching channels on different satellites is seamless, and it only takes the Pathway 2 to 3 seconds to move the dish between satellite locations.

For those who do not have a DISH account they may activate their 211 or 411 receivers on a month-to-month basis, making the Pathway X2 perfect for tailgating and camping! There is no long-term contract or commitments needed for use the Pathway X2.

When you are done using your Pathway X2 you can easily store it by spinning the dish by hand until the arrow on the dish is pointed at the stowed position. For me this was probably the biggest issue that I had with the Pathway X2, I was worried that I would strip the motor and gears by turning it by hand. However it’s designed for this type of handling so my concern is minor. The Pathway X2 also features a handy carrying handle making moving it around easy.

The Pathway X2 is for stationary use only, meaning you can’t attach it to the top of your camper and watch live TV while driving.

Being SatelliteGuys we took the cover off of the Pathway X2 to see what it looked like underneath and were surprised to find what looked like a metal salad bowl with a specialized LNB in the center of the bowl. Winegard gives new meaning to the Salad Spinner!

Here is what a naked Pathway X2 looks like!

We tried hard to find flaws with the Winegard X2 but it was near impossible to find any, in fact this Winegard Pathway X2 might be as well made as the Winegard C Band dish I had when I was younger. Man how I wish I could find one of those dishes again. (Santa are you listening?!)

If you are looking for the ultimate holiday gift for someone who loves to tailgate or go camping then the Winegard Pathway X2 is a SATELLITEGUYS MUST HAVE.

Winegard Pathway X2 and DISH ViP Receivers are sold separately.

For more information on the Winegard Pathway please visit http://www.winegard.com/pathway/

Attachments

• IMG_0758.JPG
    IMG_0758.JPG
    530.5 KB · Views: 625
  • IMG_0764.jpg
    IMG_0764.jpg
    885.6 KB · Views: 942
  • IMG_0765.JPG
    IMG_0765.JPG
    522.2 KB · Views: 668
  • IMG_0783.JPG
    IMG_0783.JPG
    574.1 KB · Views: 627
  • IMG_0799.JPG
    IMG_0799.JPG
    359.5 KB · Views: 708
Last edited:
There are many channels on the same satellite for lots of people to find something good to watch on the same satellite....

This killed it for me... :(

The Pathway X2 is for stationary use only, meaning you can’t attach it to the top of your camper and watch live TV while driving.

XM Satellite Radio allows me to pull in data while moving why can't Dish figure this out?

When will D* come up with something that will work with thier system that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and gets HD.
$ 1600 is way too much.

XM Satellite Radio allows me to pull in data while moving why can't Dish figure this out?
Satellite radio signals are ALOT more powerful then a satellite television signal and bounce off of things. Satellite tv signals are lower power and don't bounce like that.

The signal power for satellite tv is as much as the government says they can broadcast at.

You can buy tracking dishes that work when your moving but they are very expensive.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Satellite radio do not share their frequencies with other satellites. A dish locked on to DIRECTV/Dish has to point to a narrow section in the sky at all times to keep a signal lock. Satellite radio is much more omnidirectional.

Satellite radio signals are ALOT more powerful then a satellite television signal and bounce off of things. Satellite tv signals are lower power and don't bounce like that.

The signal power for satellite tv is as much as the government says they can broadcast at.

You can buy tracking dishes that work when your moving but they are very expensive.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

still, wishful thinking though.

When will D* come up with something that will work with thier system that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and gets HD.
$ 1600 is way too much.

The VU Cube which is the exact same as the Tailgater is only around $600.

I just don't get why King Controls sells the tailgater for $300, yet the VU cube for $600 when its the same thing, except the Tailgater has the stupid Dish logo on it.

I just don't get why King Controls sells the tailgater for $300, yet the VU cube for $600 when its the same thing, except the Tailgater has the stupid Dish logo on it.

It cost more because it's not the exact same thing. The VuQube is made to work with Dish and Direct so it has more hardware inside it to do both. The Tailgater is very basic and is only meant to work with specific Dish receivers. The VuQube works with multiple receivers. Why doesn't Direct just make a deal with a company like King Controls and make something like the Tailgater? Not sure why you blame King Controls and not Direct.

except the Tailgater has the stupid Dish logo on it
Actually no. The VU Cube has a logic board in it that the Tailgater doesn't. The Tailgater gets it's logic control from the receiver which is why it is limited to a few receivers.

Wrong.

The Tailgater does not have the logic boards inside it which moves the dish to the correct position. This instead is done by the ViP receiver which acts as the brain of the Tailgater. The regular VuCube has this logic board built in.

More disinformation from Claude!

Really, most of us know your situation and can understand your bias, but REALLY! Get your facts straight before you slam Dish.

One day, when my wife and I retire, we might take a LONG RV trip around the country, or even go full timing. I hope by then there will be something like this to work with the Hopper's descendants.

I certainly like this antenna. I hope one day not too far off a good package deal comes along with a ViP211K receiver.

ne day, when my wife and I retire, we might take a LONG RV trip around the country, or even go full timing. I hope by then there will be something like this to work with the Hopper's descendants.
If you go full timing, you are going to want a Trav'ler automatic roof dish or get good with setting up a ground tripod. Anything less than simultaneous multiple satellite view and HD will be unacceptable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)