Satellites for DISH.

fistfullofbeer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Hello,

I am a current subscriber of DirecTv Standard Def. I have tried to upgrade to their HD packages but as per the Ironwood Communication Techs. we do not have LOS to 2 Satellites needed for HD. I was wondering if Dish Network uses the same or diff. satellites for the HD channels. Also, is there a way I could have a Dish Tech. come over to check for LOS as opposed to having to order before hand.

Thanks.

Edit: I currently reside in Clinton, WA on Whidbey Island

Last edited:
Hi Beer guy with your hand full,

You could ask a local retailer if he would come out but with your locals in hd I would say chances are good unless you live in a hole with a lot of tall buildings or trees.

If you place the order and the tec comes out and finds no line of site then you are not charged.

If you live in an apartment it would need of course face south.

First off, Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

Directv uses 110 and 119 for some of the HD, the same spots DISH uses for it's normal programming.

DISH's HD channels are primarily on 129 and either 61.5 or 148.

Did the tech say what was causing the LOS problem? Did you check to see if there were other areas on our property that would work, or was the installed lazy? FYI for D* HD you need to be able to see 99, 101(for your current SD), 103, 110 and 119.

Thanks Guys.

If I remember what the Tech said. the LOS problem was to the 99 and 119 satellites. He said the problem was caused by the house diagonally across us (yes the house needs to be demolished!) and 2 tall trees that were 2 houses down the street. Also, the house right behind us has a Dish Network but I am not quite sure if they have HD or not.

I am very disappointed because I got a new TV for Christmas and would like to get HDTV on the same but I am running out of Options. We also have Comcast Cable on the Island but its my last option as we lose it during Wind Storms cos the Cables are overground.

Any suggestions guys!!

Thanks.

Ok .. so I figured that I'd go ahead and order Dish. But before I do so I have a few questions:

1. I know I will have to Order before I actually get the Tech. to come over to check for LOS. However, will my CC be billed immediately or only once the install is done?

2. In case, one DISH does not get LOS to all the required Satellites, is it possible to get two or even three dishes installed to get HD to work? Should I tell the person who takes my order over the phone about issues of my LOS with DTV so that they come more prepared?

I will greatly appreciate your guys input on the same. I am planning to order over the phone either tonight or tomorrow.

Thank you.

1. Yes if you go through dish, if you go through a retailer sometimes the installer will take a check after the install is complete.

2. Yes and Yes.

As posted, the main SD channels from Dish/Echostar/E* are on 110 & 119, some on each. The national HD channels are duplicated on 129 and 61.5 (except 61.5 also had the HD Demo channel). You need to get EITHER 129 or 61.5 for national HD. I recommend 61.5 if at all possible, for it's better signal. This will require two dishes.

It is possible to have 3 dishes for 110, 119 & 61.5, if that is what is needed. This allows each dish to be located for a good LOS to one satellite, no trade offs. No one wants it this way, though- not you, Dish, or the installer.

Thanks a lot guys.

I did order the Dish Network (today morning) and I did give them the heads up about LOS issues in my neighborhood. The Sales person who took my order said that they can indeed use multiple dishes to establish service if required and that they will give the Tech. Installers a heads up on that. Dont know if this is just because they are Sales or because they are actually aware of this ... :)

As I was writing this I got called by the Sales guy (Mike) to reschedule my date from the 23rd to the 18th as they did have a earlier date available. I have my fingers crossed and hoping that I get it all working.

Thanks again.

He's in Washington state, I doubt he'll be able to get 61.5 from there.

I missed that. There may have been some Voom customers in WA, but I wouldn't count on 61.5. Probably end up with a Dish 1000 single dish solution.

In the north west Dish is installing a Dish 500 for 110 and 119 and a 24" dish for 129.

Surely somewhere on the roof or property there is line of sight.

In the north west Dish is installing a Dish 500 for 110 and 119 and a 24" dish for 129.

Surely somewhere on the roof or property there is line of sight.

I sure hope you are right Jim. The DirecTV technicians who came over said that I had Line of Sight to 4 of the 5 satellites from 1 Dish but because I did not have the 5th satellite, they could not perform the install. they also went on about how they could not use multiple Dishes for this install.

I have medium sized (10,000 sq. ft lot) and a multi-storied (2.5 feet) house. Only problem is that I have quite a few tall trees on adjacent properties. I have never had problem with getting reception on any of the Standard Def channels with DirecTv even with those trees.

So I am hoping that this works out. Ofcourse I could go cable, but then again with all the windstorms here I would lose TV everytime the trees knock the poles or break the cables (I have a generator so DirecTv actually works in power outages).

Thanks again.

P.S: So correct me if I am wrong but we need only 3 Satellites for Dish network as opposed to the 5 from DirecTV?

Yes, usually. A few locals are on other satellites, as are internationals.

Yes, usually. A few locals are on other satellites, as are internationals.

Thanks Navychop .. :cool:

Well here is to hope that the Dish Network Tech.'s are more helpul and willing to go the extra yard than the Ironwood Communication Tech's for DirecTv were.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts