SatGuys Exclusive: Dish Network answers some VOOM questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
mdonnelly said:
Scott, you took the words out of my mouth. That's exactly what I expect E* to do. Charlie isn't a trailblazer, he's an opportunist. That's not necessarily a bad thing. You remember how they identify a pioneer? He's the one with the arrows sticking out of him. I'm putting my money on Charlie for the long run. Will he ever run D* out of business? No, but he'll keep them on their toes.

I say D* has put itself on the ropes with there $3.5 billion($700 million/year) NFL Sunday ticket deal. IMHO, that deal has crossed the line for a loss-leader.

Scott Greczkowski said:
This morning SatelliteGuys.US got to do an email interview with Echostar spokesperson Steve Caulk regarding yesterdays surprising yet expected news of the Echostar buyout of VOOM's assets.

One of the key parts of Echostar buying VOOM's RAINBOW1 Satellite and other assets is getting approval from the Federal Communications, when asked how long Echostar expected it to take to get this approval Caulk responded, "We will provide the FCC and other agencies with whatever information and assistance they need to complete the process as expeditiously as possible."

Caulk also noted that Echostar did not acquire the names of current VOOM customer nor did they know what was going to happen to those customers when Dish gets FCC approval.

The major purchase in the deal of course is the Rainbow 1 Satellite, when asked about what Echostars plans were for Rainbow 1 and if Echostar planned on using the spot beam capabilities on Rainbow 1 Caulk said that Echostar was "assessing our needs as they correspond to the functionality of the satellite"

On the Spot Beams Caulk noted "The Rainbow satellite is equipped with 13 transponders, up to 12 of which can be operated in spot-beam mode. While the satellite can be seen across most of the United States, look angles limit consumer availability in a limited number of west coast markets."

Also Caulk noted that it is up to Cablevision to decide when VOOM goes dark.

OK Scott, now look at the press release on E*'s site dated Thursday night.
http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=dish&script=410&layout=-6&item_id=665115

It was all in that press release!
Specifically, EchoStar has agreed to purchase Rainbow 1, a direct broadcast satellite (DBS) located at 61.5 degrees West Longitude, together with the rights to 11 DBS frequencies at that location. The satellite includes 13 frequencies, up to 12 of which can be operated in "spot beam" mode.

The EchoStar III satellite also located at 61.5 degrees West Longitude broadcasts DISH Network TV programming to hundreds of thousands of consumers today using DBS spectrum controlled by EchoStar at that location. EchoStar is assessing how the Rainbow satellite's flexibility can best be utilized to enhance DISH Network's existing service. Also, as part of the transaction with Cablevision, EchoStar will acquire ground facilities and related assets in Black Hawk, S.D. The transaction is subject to review by the Federal Communications Commission and other regulatory agencies.​

Scooped by the press release? :cool:

JL

RBBrittain said:
Let's not forget that V*'s STBs already have MPEG4 capability
No, they don't. The plan was to upgrade all the STBs when necessary.

Also note that over on the V* forum, it's been noted that RDBS still has access to one satellite already in the air (AMC-6) plus five more preparing for launch.

There are NO additional satellites anywhere near launch. They aren't even built. I believe that 2007 was the earliest anything could be launched,

Though it'll be tough for V* to continue, it IS possible; V* would have to spend more $$$ reaiming all its dishes,
They would need to install a bigger dish and a different lnb. AMC-6 is an FSS satellite with linear polarity.

I wonder if the much anticipated Voom DVR which was in the works might also be coming our way . It's unique in that it can stream several programs (including HD) at one time using one cable with "thin client" boxes at each TV . I'd love to have a system like that .

jeffwtux said:
I say D* has put itself on the ropes with there $3.5 billion($700 million/year) NFL Sunday ticket deal. IMHO, that deal has crossed the line for a loss-leader.

Dude! It's totally a loss leader, hell D* at best only breaks even with subs for it, however, it is also a big sales/recruitment pitch for new subs that nobody else has be it cable or E*. That's why they reupped the contract till 2010. That was a big shock to E* and cable, because marketing wise it was devasting to the competition.

harveystern said:
why does Ergen suck, Why dosen"t Murdock suck, whats so great about direct tv? harvey

Ergen sucks because i'm a former 921 owner (that should say it all, this fact will only be intensified if the 2wire box works correctly out of the box, which it probably will "grr". This in turn will speak volumes to Ergen's blantant ineptitude.), but also for a couple of other different reasons. Needless to say in the past 3 years he has let me down in his business decisions on several occasions (but i digress). As for Rupert, he may suck or he may be great, my jury is still out on him because its still to early to tell. :cool:

Scott Greczkowski said:
Actually is Charlie is SMART, he will not move to MPEG4 since now he will have room for over 24 HD channels on 61.5.

Time will tell. Scott I think you are going to be wrong on this subject. The future for HD (via satellite) IS MPEG4 and Charlie (and Echostar) know that. They will move to MPEG4 and at the pace that they originally planned. I think that DirecTV and Echostar will introduce MPEG4 receivers within six months of each other (I'm NOT saying that we will see MPEG4 receivers within the next six months).

And who know what DISH will use the new 61.5 transponders for. A lot of people that I talked to think that DISH would be foolish to use the (expensive) Rainbow 1 spot beam satellite for national HD (or SD). It would be wiser to use it for other services (like local to local HD) or it would be more useful at another slot (like 110). We might see some satellites moved around once this deal us approved (and it will be).

DWS44 said:
This post kinda highlights a curiosity of mine. I certainly feel for those folks who can't get thier locals via OTA, or that have locals not broadcasting HD yet. BUT...for those of us that do have OTA setups and lucky enough to get their local HD, how many would actually dump their OTA setups for what would likely be highly-compressed HD LIL's via satellite?

Exactly. And how easily one can integrate them into the 811, for instance, makes it a no brainer as to which one I want. And with all <100 markets having to be full power by July, and the local NBC, CBS and Fox going HD at the same time means lots of network stuff here. Also means for a busy time as I install the NBC and CBS ones, and have to make room now.

If I were still with DISH, and they said I would need a second dish to get more HD, then I would still have switched to Directv, because I do not want two dishes. D*'s HD plan still calls for 1 dish, not 2.

Most people are settled in, either they have cable, or Dish or Directv, and pretty much stay unless something earth shaking happens. Dishes #1 goal is to increase subs, and the only way to get them away from cable is to offer locals. Increasing subs makes the uppers much happier, offering more HD is not a priority, so I would' expect much
much HD.

why do people hate two dishes so much??? do you stare at the back of your roof all day long??

to me it's "out of sight, out of mind"

tobwco said:
Hmmmm, Yea I only had FOXHD, ABCHD added boy it's a bummer they have not added any new HD content

Scott,

Sure DirecTV added ABC and FOX in HD, BUT and it's a BIG ie HUGE BUT. Only subs in markets where either or BOTH Affiliates are owned by the parent company can qualify and that my friend is a small portion of the country.

So DirecTV has NOT added HD channels that all subscribers can get.

John

JohnL said:
Scott,

Sure DirecTV added ABC and FOX in HD, BUT and it's a BIG ie HUGE BUT. Only subs in markets where either or BOTH Affiliates are owned by the parent company can qualify and that my friend is a small portion of the country.

So DirecTV has NOT added HD channels that all subscribers can get.

John
I'd be curious to know how many DO qualify that actually have other options to receive the digital signal (OTA or cable) versus how many DON'T qualify that have NO other options.

There are many of us in Grade "Z" signal areas that are forced to watch a local affiliate signal that's worse than VHS tape recorded at LP. We're the ones that made satellite tv the business it is today but we're now the ones getting screwed.

I hear that Waltin Vt! I am one who gets very poor ota reception and several years ago when I was a C band man they would not give me locals stating I could get them ota, what a crock. At least now Dish gives me locals via Dish.

slimoli said:
Scott,

I am in the finantial business and almost all the analysts involved with Echostar are saying that the top priority in using VOOM's assets will be the availability of HD LOCAL CHANNELS. According to comments in Wall Street, Dish now wants to be the first satellite co to offer HD local channels (ahead of Directv). Most likely they will use the resources to do something cable can now offer and they can't.
Don't expect improve on PQ (less compression), new hd movie channels or anything else that WE want.

Sergio

Kind of ironic - IIRC that's one thing that VOOM said they would NEVER do!

waltinvt\ said:
I'd be curious to know how many DO qualify that actually have other options to receive the digital signal (OTA or cable) versus how many DON'T qualify that have NO other options.

There are many of us in Grade "Z" signal areas that are forced to watch a local affiliate signal that's worse than VHS tape recorded at LP. We're the ones that made satellite tv the business it is today but we're now the ones getting screwed.

Walt,

AMEN to that brother!!!

Jimmy,
Wallingford, VT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts