Satlink WS-6936 computer interface

Status
Please reply by conversation.

avinegar

Original poster
May 25, 2008
I downloaded the current software for interfacing with the meter. The software expects a COM port, the meter has a USB port. Am I missing something? Or do I simply need a serial to USB adapter? Or is there something else I have to do?

Thank you.

If it is like others I have saw before, when you plug it into the USB port on your computer, the computer will see it and assign a com port.
You may have to look in your device manager and then properties to see what port it got assigned.

Reactions: fred555
If it is like others I have saw before, when you plug it into the USB port on your computer, the computer will see it and assign a com port.
You may have to look in your device manager and then properties to see what port it got assigned.

That doesn't happen. Any other suggestions??

Open device manager and watch it for a change when you connect the meter/usb.
Should be able to detect/see where it's been 'put'.
Some times the upload program can only select a certain # of ports, but windows assigns one 'out of range'.
You'll have to manually tell it to use port #(so and so) that's within the capabilities of the program.

Reactions: Titanium
Open device manager and watch it for a change when you connect the meter/usb.
Should be able to detect/see where it's been 'put'.
Some times the upload program can only select a certain # of ports, but windows assigns one 'out of range'.
You'll have to manually tell it to use port #(so and so) that's within the capabilities of the program.

With device manager open I see no indication of any port assignment. Also, unlike other USB devices I don't even hear the little sound when the device gets plugged in.

Are you using the cable that came with it?
What kind of USB port is on the unit?
A? B? Mini? Micro?

I had a meter once, not that brand, but it had a USB mini. So you would assume USB right..wrong.
I guess they just got a good deal on that when they made them.
They sent a unique cable with it. One end had a USB plug the other was RS-232.
So it really was RS-232 and not USB, it was all TTL, so a modern computer would not give you that "sound", when plugged into a RS-232.

Are you using the cable that came with it?
What kind of USB port is on the unit?
A? B? Mini? Micro?

I had a meter once, not that brand, but it had a USB mini. So you would assume USB right..wrong.
I guess they just got a good deal on that when they made them.
They sent a unique cable with it. One end had a USB plug the other was RS-232.
So it really was RS-232 and not USB, it was all TTL, so a modern computer would not give you that "sound", when plugged into a RS-232.

It is a regular USB port. No cable was provided. This brings me back to the original thought that perhaps I need a USB to RS-232 adapter. I wish there was someone else out there with one of these meters!!

Yeah, not sure, I don't have one of those meters either. Perhaps email the re-seller you got it from and ask.
USB adapters usually are for a device that has a RS-232 interface and converts it to USB for the computer side.

There probably are others 'out there' with this meter, but not at all or at least rare on this side of the pond. DVB-T is European and isn't used on 'this side'. (ATSC here)
Might have to fill out the form at https://sat-link.co.uk/cgi-bin/mf000014.pl?ACTION=SHOWFORM to inquire. Think if it's something special required they should be able to supply)
(their manual doesn't cover the usb port usage other than mentioning 'used for - -')

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)