Satmex 5 - 116.8W - Anything on it?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
About a month ago I scanned in Satmex 5 116.8W and Blind Scan came up with 4 Tp's, but there seems to be NO viewable channels there!! Has anyone had any luck picking up Channels on Satmex 5, in Canada, or am I just too far North to get anything??

I haven't scanned Satmex 5 in awhile, mainly due to the fact that I keep picking up annoying signals from Dish 119w whenever I scan it (even though Satmex 5 is linear :rolleyes:)...

Last time I checked, there were a couple of Catholic hispanic channels there, and BYU-TV...

I'm able to pick up the BYU-TV channel from the mid-altantic area, note there is a secondary audio channel that keeps repeating (english on one, spanish on another) "This is the...JCLDS....if you experience technical difficulties please call...", which would be irritating after a while. Not sure if it's possible to turn it off on the MercII, but not something I'd watch anyways.

A couple of weeks ago, BYU tv had a message running across there screen saying they were changing TP frequency to 12174 H. Maybe that change will help reception for the northern people?
And there are about a dozen audio (tv side) to choose from. You have to go through them to find the language you want and then do the Left - Right - Stereo to find the correct spot to listen to the audio without the message interference.

Al

A couple of weeks ago, BYU tv had a message running across there screen saying they were changing TP frequency to 12174 H. Maybe that change will help reception for the northern people?
And there are about a dozen audio (tv side) to choose from. You have to go through them to find the language you want and then do the Left - Right - Stereo to find the correct spot to listen to the audio without the message interference.

Al
ditto
And that's BYUTV International (appears to be basically BYU Spanish). They moved their main station to C-Band only for FTA viewers. Apparently the footprint/power for SatMex5 was insufficient to reach much of the northern US states. So they decided to cater t southern/spanish speaking areas with the satmex5 sat. I can get BYUTV on satmex5 in Iowa, but it pixellates during bad weather (although my dish probably isn't peaked too well either)

I'm able to pick up the BYU-TV channel from the mid-altantic area, note there is a secondary audio channel that keeps repeating (english on one, spanish on another) "This is the...JCLDS....if you experience technical difficulties please call...", which would be irritating after a while. Not sure if it's possible to turn it off on the MercII, but not something I'd watch anyways.

select either left or right audio...on C-Band they have about 15 languages...so its weird to hear Chinese & Spanish on the same audio track (one is on L and one is on R)

I get it on 12164 ;)

Each LNB can be off by 1 or so....they use to list it as KU on the BYU Website but only for Utah & the surrounding states. Everyone else shows C-Band :)

BYU Television | USA Providers

This is what shows for MN...they list a couple cable comapnies, Dish & Direct too
"Backyard" Dish Owners and LDS Church Satellite

BYUTV is available as part of the Church Satellite system. You can access it with a digital (DVB-compatible) receiver at the following coordinates:

Galaxy 25, transponder 11
Feed Type: C-Band
Downlink Frequency: 3934.8 MHz
Data Rate: 3.648 Mb/s
Symbol Rate: 2.639 MS/s
FEC: 3/4

FTAlist has BYU @ 12163-H , and Global-CM shows H-12165
Are they both wrong?
I just took a look and my old scan, still in my Pansat 3500s, was 12162 H, it is no longer working. The new one at 12174 H is working. The signal rate did not change. I would say, those 2 TP's listed by FTA list and Global-CM were correct, but are not correct now. Since my old one at 12162 is no longer working, I doubt that those at 12164 or 12165 would work either?

Al

select either left or right audio...on C-Band they have about 15 languages...so its weird to hear Chinese & Spanish on the same audio track (one is on L and one is on R)

Thanks, didn't see anything in the MercII manual, but while playing with the Audio button, it pops up a menu with one or more ENG items. On each , there is a red button on each side of the item. Use the < or > volume button to turn on/off left/right/both. Learn something new every day...

There were several ENG on the BYU channel, each with it's own languages as you stated.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts