Satmex-6/113 W

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Outernet

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 15, 2014
Is anyone here pointed at 113W? If so, are you able to see a radio channel around 12089-H called Outernet?

Yes, scanned this Ku bird last week, you can see it as a radio channel. Are you still on 97W also?

If I am not being too nosy, are you planning on using different satellites to cover different areas of the globe?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 113Wscan.JPG
    113Wscan.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 129
Reactions: Outernet
N6BY Many thanks. Where are you located and what size dish are you using? We tried with a 75cm dish in Boston and came up empty handed.
spongella You are not being nosy at all! Yes, you described it exactly. For North America, we are on G19. For South America, it's Satmex6. In Asia-Pac, it's AsiaSat5 for now (C-band). India is covered by ABS-2. Europe/MENA sees Hotbird. And sub-Saharan Africa has IS-20 and IS-10. For most of the world, it's a single global feed. But in sub-Saharan Africa, we have an entire transponder with a 10 Mbps pipe. That is effectively 100GB of data per day. Know of anyone who would like to sponsor some content there?

For reception by a smaller antenna (and reception of smaller amounts of data), we'll be using L-band.

I'm located in Roseville, California and for this I used a 90 cm dish. I'm getting a signal level of 90% and quality fluctuating between 46 and 51% with my Amiko Mini HD SE.

I've noticed that you encode the stream using PGP (Pretty Good Privacy), which is public key cryptography. I assume that this is so the receiver knows that the content is coming from the official 'Outernet' and not somehow comprimised along the way? Or is it for something else? Just curious.

You are absolutely correct. We also perform software updates over the air, so it's important that the device know that the content is coming from a trusted source.

I'm receiving it with a quality of about 60% (microHD) on a 36x21 inch dish in New Mexico.

When BVN left 101°W, a number of people in the Northeast had trouble receiving it from this mux on 113°W. I seem to recall that at least a 90 cm antenna was needed, so I'm not surprised a 75 cm dish isn't working in Boston.

lost_mesa What kind of dish is that? Is that an oversize DirecTV antenna? I'm not familiar with an FTA dishes that are oblong. Of course, I'm no expert.

Yes, it is a DirecTV World Direct dish. It comes with LNBs for both the FSS and DBS bands. I think they were used for 95°W (FSS) and 101°W (DBS).

Oh...I didn't know that they made a product to serve this market. Are they generally cheaper than normal FTA dishes?

Dish is supplied with the receiver when you order their 'World Direct' service and sign a contract for a set minimum of months.
Seems after you terminate said service the only thing they want returned is the receiver.

I got the dish used, so don't know about the price. I guess it works for Direct TVs needs, but imho it's a bit too small for general FTA use. I tried it on this mux just to get an idea of how receivable Outernet was on a small dish. It did fine.

I like my 1.2 meter motorized dish a lot more. :) :) :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts