Satmex 6 Reception Issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

thewhyguy

Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
Montana
Ok guys, long time lurker, first time poster-

I've been working on the following setup for the past couple of weeks:

10' BUD, Cal Amp C Band PLL LNB (This dish and lnb used to be used at a cable head end), and X2 Premium HD Receiver- I have the dish and skew set to Satmex 6, and have peaked using a signal meter.

So, I am at a loss as to why I am not receiving some of the channels on Satmex 6. The ones I was really looking forward to were: Azteca Siete, Canal Once, and Canal22.

I get almost everything else listed by Lyngsat minus Mexico Travel Channel, and "Excelsior TV."

I would imagine these signals would be pretty strong, because they are fairly popular channels south of the border, but since I am in N. Montana, maybe these are out of my reach? Am I missing something?

Also, any thoughts on which sat has better programming, Satmex 6 (I love SNT on Satmex 6, great stuff on weekends) or Satmex 8 (I see there are more channels here, but I don't recognize a ton of them)? - I am wanting to keep this dish without a motor for now, no money in the budget for it.

TIA for your help.

Did you notice that every single channel you listed that you said you can't get are all listed as Horizontal?

I'd say that's a pretty big clue.... How do you change your skew on your feedhorn? Maybe the probe is stuck on Vertical. If it's an orthomode feedhorn, it needs TWO c-band lnbs. If it only has one spot for an lnb (and doesn't have a servo to move a probe), then it's made for a single polarity, which appears to be set to vertical.

Is your X2 set to BLIND scan, or only scan vertical, or? It can be set to any of those. What firmware version are you using? A new one released the other day..

Last edited:
BINGO -:facepalm

Turns out the servo is shot, turned the lnb manually, and boom, up they come with a blind scan. Didn't think it could be something that simple.

Good call Primestar31!!

It's always the last thing you try. :D

An LNBF would fix that. Don't know what those servo motors cost now but I'd bet that an LNBF isn't that much more especially those ESX241 models, or, you could spring for an NS741 or BSC621 and have Ku as well for about $40.

FYI, I just did a scan on 113W Ku and got 8 TPs with 9 channels in the clear.

EDIT: Just checked and most of those Ku channels are Asian so that might not be an advantage with a stationary dish.

Last edited:
Yeah I think I paid about that much for one years ago also. Had no idea those things are that cheap now but I guess it makes sense as these are probably someone's new old stock since ppl are switching to LNBFs.

Wow, didn't know they were that cheap - Thanks.

I think I am going to go with the lnbf, either that or strap another lnb to the feedhorn, then I don't have to worry about it.

Finding the SATMEX-6

Hi Guy's,

The dish is currently pointed at SES-1 and the signal meter of my Satfinder biebs like a champ. Now I have to move to SATMEX-6 (for BVN).
So I moved the dish slowly 10 degrees right (and further) but no luck at all. The elevation has just a 6.9 degree difference so I did not think I should change that just to find SATMEX6

Its a 76 cm dish in West Chester PA.

Is the dish to small for this Satellite? or any other suggestions?

Much appreciated.

Fuif.

Last edited:
I would recommend 1.2 meter or at least 1 meter with a good LNBF. BVN @113W is not a strong signal.

Hi Guy's,

The dish is currently pointed at SES-1 and the signal meter of my Satfinder biebs like a champ. Now I have to move to SATMEX-6 (for BVN).
So I moved the dish slowly 10 degrees right (and further) but no luck at all. \

Are you just moving the dish physically to the right? The satellites are located on an arc, so you also need to point the dish down about 5 degrees from its position for 101W.

Check dishpointer.net for some help. You might be able to get it to work, although as noted, a 76cm dish is a little on the small side for Satmex 6. I can get such a dish to work for some channels, but I might be getting a stronger signal than you.

That confirms my thoughts thanks very much. I am looking on-line and see 120 cm dishes but with shipping cost of 150 dollar. While Winegard would send a 100 cm dish for 28 dollar shipping costs. Does anyone know a cheaper option for a 120 cm dish or even a dealer close to West Chester, PA?

Hi Guy's,

So I moved the dish slowly 10 degrees right (and further) but no luck at all. The elevation has just a 6.9 degree difference so I did not think I should change that just to find SATMEX6

Its a 76 cm dish in West Chester PA.

Is the dish to small for this Satellite? or any other suggestions?

Much appreciated.

Fuif.

It's a fixed dish, not motorized? You will have to adjust the elevation if it's not a motorized dish, especially for 113 W. 6.9 degrees is actually a lot when it comes to a small dish and a weak signal. I receive 113 W on my 76 cm dish here but it's not the easiest sat to receive, 113's definitely a weaker signal.

A bigger dish would be better, but adjusting for that 6.9 degrees might just bring it in for you with the dish that you have.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts