Satmex-6 vs Galaxy 19 and Hispasat 1E: Broadcasting Websites to Western Hemisphere

Should Outernet use Satmex-6 or Galaxy 19/Hispasat-1E to broadcast websites to the Americas?

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Outernet

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 15, 2014
I was wondering what everyone's experience was with Satmex-6. Is it a satellite you frequently point to? If not, would you if there was something interesting on it? And compared to Galaxy 19, does it provide a stronger link for you?

I ask because starting from next month, we will begin a free-to-air data broadcasting service. You can learn more about us from the link below. In a nutshell, we're broadcasting content that is normally found online and is rendered by a browser. What we want to do is make online content available offline, or without an actual internet connection.

https://www.outernet.is

Right now we need to make a decision on how best to cover the Western Hemisphere. One option is to use the huge Ku-beam of Satmex-6 that goes from Alaska down to Argentina. This is convenient because it's only one beam, but Galaxy 19 is the most popular FTA satellite for North American users, so it makes sense to be somewhere the community already exists.

A combination of Galaxy 19 and Hispasat 1E could provide similar coverage as Satmex-6, but it would still not be as far-reaching. Do any of you know whether Hispasat 1E is more popular than Satmex-6 in South America?

If you are curious, here are the links to the footprint maps.

Galaxy 19
http://www.satbeams.com/footprints?beam=5786

Hispasat 1E
http://www.satbeams.com/footprints?beam=6523

Satmex-6
http://www.satbeams.com/footprints?beam=5528

Any of your thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I don't see from the coverage maps that Satmex 6 covers Alaska or Canada.

Like many, I have fixed dishes for G19 and Hispasat, which makes those more convenient for me.

I use a motorized dish for Satmex 6, which I look at some. Enough that I've been thinking of adding a fixed dish for it. It comes in fine here.

You're right about Alaska and Canada--my mistake. Do you have two separate dishes from G19 and Hispasat? From your perspective, in order to reach the greatest number of people, does it make more sense to just do G19/H1E? The downside to Hispasat is the huge hole that it has in northeastern South America. But nothing is going to be perfect.

Yes, separate dishes here for G19 and Hispasat.

G19 is definitely the most popular FTA satellite in North America, but I don't have any experience with South America. Hopefully, other more knowledgeable people will weigh in.

Cool project BTW. Can any PC sat tuner card be used? Advertiser supported?

I have fixed dishes for Galaxy 19 and Hispasat, nothing of interest for me on Satmex 6. From spanish language forums, I understand in South America Hispasat is widely known and watched, Satmex 6 rarely mentioned.

Interesting ~
G19 covers Canada as well as Alaska and Hawaii. But no SA coverage.
Satmex (Eutalsat) @113 Covers the US but little in Canada and no AK or HI.
Guess the question of 'covering the most people' comes down to comparing the population of the areas covered.
But I think there's more in Canada with accessibility to technology.

The importance of a preexisting dish alignment will depend on the technology needed for this service. Sharing a dish and LNBF is likely to require an upgrade to the LNBF to support multiple receivers with consideration of the current LO frequency used for the legacy equipment.

Ku band usage in Central and South Americas is fairly recent and primarily used for subscription services such as Sky, Claro, etc. Very little KU FTA usage in Central and South Americas. Most KU dishes are on 50w, 55w, 58w, 61w, 70w, but each region uses a different satelite for the subscription services. Satmex DTH may be growing, but not much legacy except commercial downlinks.

Yes, separate dishes here for G19 and Hispasat.

Cool project BTW. Can any PC sat tuner card be used? Advertiser supported?

We are starting out supporting Linux-friendly tuners/receivers. Our alpha product will be based on a Raspberry Pi and USB receiver. Next on the list will be support of our freeware on Android receivers. We plan on supporting all manner of devices, but we are a small team, so there will be prioritization.

I was wondering what everyone's experience was with Satmex-6. Is it a satellite you frequently point to? If not, would you if there was something interesting on it? And compared to Galaxy 19, does it provide a stronger link for you?

Rather than Eutelsat 113 West A (previously known as SatMex 6 113W), I would use the hemi beam of Eutelsat 117 West A at 116.8W instead as it has much better Canadian coverage as shown at http://www.satbeams.com/footprints?beam=7478
Keep in mind that most of the Canadian population lives on the southern half of the country so even with only 117W, you would cover a significant portion of Canada. The entire coverage areas shows that reception is possible with an 80cm dish so even people just outside the coverage area can most likely still receive it by using a larger 1.0m or 1.2m dish.

As you must already know, satellite bandwidth is not cheap so I would recommend starting with 1 satellite in order to minimize costs during launch and starting with 117W will deliver you the most coverage for your dollar. You can always launch service on a second satellite down the road if you can afford it but you have to be certain that satellite costs can still be covered. We have seen many ambitious FTA broadcasters try their luck on G19 only to go off the air after a few months because they can't afford paying for their satellite transponder or space on the MUX anymore.

I put multiple LNBFs on my dishes so adding another one is no big deal, west coast of U.S. So can't see 30w.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The reason that I voted is I can't get 30w bird here in Albuquerque, NM. So I get more extic channels via internet broadband if were that to happens, I'l be a happy camper!

Satmex 6 is out of range for most of the Carribean,NO footprint. Gal 19 and Hispa are fine!

I think you will find here that G19 is probably a lot of folks primary KU satellite of choice. I just put a dish up last weekend aimed just at G19.

Reactions: jorgek
If you are just targeting knowledgeable people like the community here then I would launch on G19 for a short term test. In the long run you probably will want to be on a satellite with a strong signal that can be received on cheap small dishes that people with limited incomes can afford.

Reactions: jorgek
According to their website Outernet will go live August 11th.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts