Status
Please reply by conversation.

farwest5050

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
Austin,TX
Hello everyone:
I would like to know if anybody have locked all Satmex5 transponders including those that carry the dominican channels.I have scaned out those TPs one by one without results.My receiver is capable to do automatic blind scan in both H/V polarity.What is the right position for the plate inside the LNBF? I have seen only 2 positions to place the plate.
BTW,why is it too hard for me to lock channels in KU band with my 180 Sadoun dish?

Sadoun 180 Prime focus motorized dish,BSC621 KU/C bands,Lexium7000 receiver.Location: Austin Texas,78758.

Are the Satmex5 tps you are trying for circular or linear?

The dielectric plate is for circular-polarized signals only, you don't want to use it for H & V (linear) signals.

Ku is much harder to get on a dish like yours than c-band. The parabolic shape of the dish is critical, and your aiming has to be about perfect. And with a C/Ku LNBF you usually have to compromise one band or the other.

You might want to consider getting a 36" or bigger offset-type dish for Ku, they are usually much better than the dish you have for Ku signals.

Thank you Phlatwound.So were can I find out if those TP are linear or circular? In Lyngsat?
If I remove the plate to get linear TP does it affect the reception for circular polarity? So do I have to choice between both circular or linear?
Ohter thing is I already have a 90 cm offset dish to be used in KU band but I use itfixed for Hispasat 30 W only.

Yes, Lyngsat will tell you what the polarity is, if they are listed there. You might also find them on The List on this forum, the tab for linking to The List is on the top of each page.

And yes, if you remove the plate it will affect your circular reception, you pretty much have to choose between either circular or linear.

Have you ever considered getting a motor for your 90cm? I am able to motor to 30W with my setup via diseqc 1.2, and get to the rest of the arc via USALS. At 93W longitude here.

Remove the dielectric plate. The transponders are linear polarity and the plate is attenuating by at least 3dB (every 3 dB is a doubling of power).

Edit: Phlatwound hit enter while I typed... :D

Thank you my friend.Well,my 90 cm offset system already has a HH motor.But it never has moved to 30W by itself.I found 30W moving the system by remote control.Besides,if I try to get the rest of the arch via USALS,dish moves on and stop at the desired satellite but it doesn't lock it because the dish elevation is too higher.

BTW,I will remove the plate right now and wil try a new blind scan.TTL.

I'm on the northern edge of the footprint. Right now I can lock one of the Dominacan muxes but the other won't lock today. The only KU I get are data transponders

B I N G O !!!!!!!!! I got the rest of Satmex5 TPs!!!! Dominican channels and more!! Thank you so much guys for your great help!! Keep going on!

Currently I'm having a weird problem. I have my S9 set up for USALS. All the birds hit spot on. But when I go to 116.8 W and do a scan, I then get a bunch of encrypted Dishnet channels @ 119 I'm guessing, since I didn't think 116.8 would have a bunch of encrypted chs like this. I wonder why it's doing that, especially since USALS is working properly on the other birds? If I go further west to 123W or 125W, it scans in the correct chs for each bird. The same if I go east of 116.8W. This is really strange. Any ideas? I know I'm tracking the arc close to spot on, since I have no problems from 125W to 72W. Haven't went much east of 72 w tho.

Currently I'm having a weird problem. I have my S9 set up for USALS. All the birds hit spot on. But when I go to 116.8 W and do a scan, I then get a bunch of encrypted Dishnet channels @ 119 I'm guessing, since I didn't think 116.8 would have a bunch of encrypted chs like this. I wonder why it's doing that, especially since USALS is working properly on the other birds? If I go further west to 123W or 125W, it scans in the correct chs for each bird. The same if I go east of 116.8W. This is really strange. Any ideas? I know I'm tracking the arc close to spot on, since I have no problems from 125W to 72W. Haven't went much east of 72 w tho.

Mine does the same thing on 116.8, I just figured since Echostar 14 is so much stronger it gets some of the transponders since I am getting close.

Thank you both,plhatwound and satellite AV:
If you want to know what I did here we go: I first removed the dielectric plate from LNBF.Then erased out all the TPs for Satmex5. After that I performed a blind scan and when I got almost all channels I just fine tuned the dish and the LNBF skew a little bit and that's it!! The quality signal I get now is around 78% in almost all channles.Have a great day guys.

I got a question: I finally locked out all the transponders from Satmex5. However,I am having some troubles to watch 2 channels despite the quality signal is very strong(78%).I am talking about Megavision 41 and Teleunion located on TP 4044 V and SR 4300 7/8.Those are the only channels on that TP.I know that the signal is not the same for all channels but I can watch those only in the evening hours.They are pixeled or freezed the rest of the time.The line between dish and receiver is about 80 feet but I am thinking of short it to avoid lose signal.
Is there any other way to improve the signal for the mentioned channels? I have tried a lot of dish aligment without significant results.

Laundry list

So, a Sadoun 6' BUD, motorized, and BSC621 LNBF, eh?

I'd try a C-band only LNBF , preferably the SatAV C2 (only)
Those dual band LNBFs are a compromise, and so is a 6' BUD. :)
The C2 should be a step up (and very cheap).

Regardless what you use , try recentering the LNBF on the dish & get the scaler parallel.
(that's free )
I'd use a laser level, so maybe not 100% free. :)

Well, a free 8' bud would be my next suggestion.
Drive around your neighborhood & take pictures.
Someone here will help you pick out the best one! :)

Moving up the expense list, some users have put ortho feeds on 6'ers and gotten good results.
Probably manage that for about $100. ;)

iPhone 4

Yes,I am thinking of just a C band LNBF. The scalar ring is perfectly parallel.How does too many cable joints affect the signal strenght? I have about 5, I needed to run the line into the attic to reach the receiver place.

>> How does too many cable joints affect the signal strenght? << You may answer that one yourself. Bring the receiver out to the dish and use one piece of coax. Splices, ONLY if absolutely necessary. Loosing something during the day may be solar induced terrestrial interference. Might see an improvement if the scalar is set to a slightly higher setting than what the dish calculates out to. If it's .38, set to .36 or .34. This Increases the attenuation from outside the dish. But it also will decrease illumination of the dish edges, so overall gain is reduced. This requires the LNBF feed still be at the focal point.

Bare minimum each coax connector is typically equal to at least a .5db loss. Each barrel connector is 3db loss. 3db is a doubling (or halving) of the signal.

So, it can all add up to a significant signal loss, even if each connection is perfect, and each barrel connector is a true 3ghz model (as they should be)

It could well pay off big time to spend the money to re-run a contiguous good quality RG-6 cable from lnb (or switch if at the dish) to the receiver directly.

Thank you primestar31. I am using 3 barrels and a switch box in line.I will try to run the RG-6 directly from dish to receiver as you recommend...have a good one.

Thank you Fat Air but I don't understand when you talking about the higher setting for the scalar(egs .38 .36 or .34).Is that regarding to the focal distance between feed and center of dish??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)