SATPRO DSR500 No Luck For Blind Scan Yet

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ussexplroer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
Using the FCC id number M6UDSR-500s

Ajin Vision Co Ltd --- MFG product but show no download for any firmware on any product they mfg.

Fcc had a listing of pdf files including pictures of the unit and the documents. But wait, the pictures show a different name on the receiver.

AB-COM

Model: AB DSR-550FTA

This company has firmware updates and firmware downloads. But there was one problem. The remote does not work and even when pushing the buttons on the front panel. No additional functions than the regular satpros firmware.

I found one other name it was sold under (NOT Orasat) but that just lead to firmware and a pirate site. Strange enough. That lead back to ECHO* International Site claiming this little box or boards in the box is sold under a few different receivers. So if you guys want to search it out more. You are more than welcome too.

Later,

Josh

no blind scan for Satpros

I long-since gave up worrying about blind scan for the Satrpos.
Early this summer, I got a similar incredible deal on a Mercury II (thanks again, Remington).

Looks like the name Tristar 500 is one name the Satpros 500 was sold as.
Just had stick-on labels over the original name.

What info I ran across suggested at one time, both the Satpros and Orasat 5 receiver took the same (hack) firmware.
Later, it looked like there was some FUD being spread that if one receiver was loaded with the other firmware, the remote didn't work.
Not wishing to risk a working receiver, I left well enough alone, and can't confirm.

It would be possible for the remote story to be true.
Maybe the remote can be reprogrammed from the keyboard to use different command sequences.
Maybe the box has a jumper inside, or more likely a bit in the download.
Or, most likely, just some reprogrammable configuration setting.
But since the Orasat 5 never claimed blind-scanning either, the whole question is really moot.

And from what I saw, none of the firmware updates ever claimed any other improvements to the FTA functions we'd care about, either.

edit:
I just tracked the part number to a Slovak Republic web site: ABcom.sk
They would appear to be EU importers of a bunch of FTA receivers, not manufacturers.
(There is even one with the distinctive look of the Pansat 3500sd, but not the name)
They also talk about having the SCART connector on the receiver.
Documentation supplied when I bought my Satpros, showed an alternate model with that Euro video connector.
Makes ya wonder if the SCART model has a different IR command set from the non-SCART model...?

Edit:
Just came back from a tour of the FCC site.
Wonderful internal and external pictures of the Satpros ! ;)
In Test Report PDF, it lists the Remote Control Code Format as: NEC-IR
Don't really know if that means anything useful.

Still, it would be fun to find the FCC ID for the Orasat 5 and look it up, too.
If anyone has one, read it off the back panel and paste it in this thread.

Last edited:
Errr... Not to bash it, but that Satpros is one of the most ridiculous receivers I have ever had the opportunity to use. I suppose its adequate hacker bait, but as far as moving a motor, blind scanning, or even using as a signal meter, I found it to be quite poor.

The Satpro works great where only one or two channels are needed. I have installed one in a church and it works great. But I agree that it's signal meter doesn't work very well.
Bob

.. But I agree that it's signal meter doesn't work very well.
Yep, I bought mine to use outside tuning dishes and figured out that the meter was just about worthless. So it's set in its box waiting for me to find time to install it somewhere else in the house as a standalone religious programming receiver.

Another pet peave of mine about the Satpros is that it will keep moving the motor to a previous satellite you selected even if you change your mind (if you switch to a different satellite, it will move ALL THE WAY to the first one you selected before it moves back to the last one you selected), then take 15 seconds to lock on it! :rolleyes:

It's probably an adequate G-10R fixed dish receiver, but for motoring, scanning, and aiming, its not ready for prime time ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.