SATPROS DSR-500 FTA Have anyone use this receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kelleyga

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2005
I was on ebay and saw this receiver for $50. Have any one here used this?

Introducing the New Satpros DSR-500
The Best Unit #1

Brand new SATPROS DSR-500 FTA Digital satellite receiver with remote, NULL MODEM data cable and 4x1 DISEQC Switch.

9.00 shipping to all 48 states
$10.00 to PR, AK and HI

FEATURES
X-Crypt CAS embedded
Closed Caption & Digital AC-3 Audio Output
Universal Remote Controller
MPEG-2 Digital and DVB Compliant
Multi Functions
Excellent Performance
Easy Installation
User Friendly Interface
14 Event Timers
Automatic Channel Search
3600 Channels Programmable
Each Channel Volume Save
Program Reservation through EPG
Renameable 5 Favorite Groups
Parental Control
Teletext decoding
DiSEqC 1.0/1.2 Supported
Full Menu Picture - in Graphic
Automatic NIT scan
Multi Language Support OSD

Made in Korea

I've got one of those units, and really wouldn't recommend it. It doesn't have blind scan, and the motor capabilities aren't the greatest.. I'd spend the $85 and get one of the MercuryII units that Satellite AV is selling right now. $85 including shipping.

Yes, there was a big buy on them back in Feb or Mar of 2007.
Search, and you should find a couple of threads, in particular the Self-Help Thread where we discussed operating them.

Today, I see 'em available on eBay for $50 shipped.
I'd repack mine and send it over for less. :)
As a cheap receiver for an experienced FTAer, they're fine.
Something for Grandma's house, or the kids (beautiful picture).

They will not do blind scan, and for both a beginner and an experienced FTAer, that would be a big shortcoming.
The Xmas offer on the Mercury II from SatAV would trump the similarly priced Traxis 3500, both of which do blind scan.

agreed. The Satpros is nice but you have to enter EVERYTHING since there is no blind scan

get a box with a blind scan :)

The signal meter on the sapros dsr500 is about the worst I've seen so far. The box works good if you have a working setup and just want to add a receiver to get a known channel. For any other use, there are tons of options for similar pricing (some used boxes are available for a pretty good deal right now)

The signal meter is next to useless. It updates VERY slowly, and because of that, can't be used to effectively aim a dish. Motor control makes me pull out my hair... If you go to a satellite by accident, then change your mind and dial in another, the receiver will STILL drive the dish all the way over to the first choice before moving it to the second choice (basically, it buffers motor commands). Then it takes about 15 seconds to lock into a channel.

It would be useful as a secondary receiver for, say, Galaxy 10 on a fixed dish. But that's about it... Another recommendation for the Mercury II :)

I agree with everyone above. The meter is next to useless. I have used them for a fixed channel in a church. But I did the setup with a Mercury II, then switched it for the Satpros. For $25 more I would buy the Mercury II.
Bob

I already have a Mercury II and a Pansat 3500S, but I want it ACTUALLY to use it for a PARK satellite G10.

So I will make the configuration with my Mercury II and then put in place the SatPro. I need 4 for 4 different rooms, and because it is going to be in this SAT G10 only, then it sounds like a good choice.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)