Status
Please reply by conversation.

armadillo_115

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
Virginia
I happened upon this site today: http://www.satstar.net/setup.html
A forum search shows it hasn't been discussed here in a few years.Looks cool...Anyone using it?

Not SatStar specific: Is there a ROUGH minimum EIRP # that would apply to a 10 ft dish on C Band? Without getting into all the technical calculations...I'd just like a generalized baseline number.Thanks

Reactions: k.r.
I know I've been getting ones that show ERIP of 34 (IIRR),
The published ERIP numbers is single carrier at full power capacity. When multiple signals occupy a transponder, full power is not available to each of them. each transponder will have power level that leaves a little 'headroom' to combat fade to meet the services requirements, and have some in reserve. Also SR and FEC have a lot to factor into the equation. Higher FEC requires more signal than a low FEC. 16APSK also requires more signal to noise (ratio).
Most services use a dish in the 4 meter and up range. We can survive without 24/7/365 100% up time.. Services phones would ring off the hook if a channel, or few, were to go blank for an hour. Google the term: link budget
16/32APSK - Some is receivable today on a 10, but some is 'out of reach'. I think it's a sure thing that 4 meter, and up, dishes would 'sprout' in our yards if it were to becomes the 'norm'..
Satstar - haven't used it in a few years.

Ok Fat Air.I'm started on this one: http://www.itso.int/images/stories/Capacity-Building/Dakar-2015/LBA.pdf
This stuff is interesting.

Such as:
Antenna Mispointing Loss
Allows for the pointing loss between the ground station antenna and the satellite antenna
– It is unlikely that the antenna will be targeted exactly due to initial installation errors
–Antenna stability due to wind
–Station keeping accuracy of the sate

A typical allowance for mispointing is 0.5 dB
–A large antenna without tracking may require more due to the narrow beamwidth

Gone back to reading. :reading

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Problems getting VCY on 4044 H tp 17, SES 2 87.0°W

Dayton Hamvention