Saturday trip to Sadoun!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blindowl1234

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
SouthWest Ohio
Well I got up saturday and the wife and I made the 225 mile roundtrip to Columbus to Sadoun. I got everything to motorize my Fortec six footer. Going outside to manually move the dish in the cold wasn't gonna be my thing this year....getting old. I had no trouble finding the place at all....in an industrial park. Got to meet Bill....loaded up the mount, accuator, and Gbox and headed home. That's when the trouble started. I took the old dish down and began to assemble the new mount. Well you know the instructions aren't that great so luckily I took pics of the setup Sadoun had in the parking lot. It looked like I was missing pieces for the mount! After inspecting again even though the box with the mount was factory sealed, a bunch of stuff is missing. So guess I'll be on the phone to Columbus today. Nice trip though. Blind

Blind:
Glad you got to go there. A few months ago I tried making a Greyhound Bus trip from Akron to Columbus for the express purpose of checking out Sadoun..Unfortunately, taking a Columbus City Bus to the location proved to be more time consuming then I figured..So I didnt make it..(Though I got some nice DVDs at a Half-Price Books Store in North Columbus)

I am sure Sadoun will make things right with you as far as the missing parts..Good luck on your install..

I wish Sadoun was closer to me so I could make the trip there.....but that's a long trip from Ohio to Minnesota ;)

I didn't get pics of the store front. I got pics of the 6 footer they had out in the parking lot though...for reference when I got back home. If the wife hadn't been with me I'd have bought more stuff probably lol. Blind:)

Once drove from Hibbing Mn to Akron-Canton OH area (New Philly) in an old drill truck. THAT was a trip!

now thats a haul

of course if I did that trip, I'd have to probably rent a friggin cargo van and stop in Iowa on the way to pick up all out Iowa FTA'ers before heading to Ohio :)

now thats a haul

of course if I did that trip, I'd have to probably rent a friggin cargo van and stop in Iowa on the way to pick up all out Iowa FTA'ers before heading to Ohio :)

Why don't we have a FTA "fest" like the ham radio operators have "Hamfests" in Dayton Ohio each year? Even the Linux enthusiasts have "Linux-fests" around the country. In fact there was a Linuxfest in Columbus Ohio a little while back.

My suggestion would be in or near Columbus or Dayton Ohio. Ohio seems to be a favorite as it is almost centrally located. If we got enough people interested it could be a go. FTA enthusiasts could bring their pickup trucks or trailers save a good amount of money by buying the dishes at the FTA-Fest and save on shipping costs.

You could rotate this..Columbus One Year, maybe Atlanta another year, maybe The West Coast another year..Just make sure you are near one of the major "FTA" stores..Maybe have them and SatGuys sponsor it.

Something close to one of our sponsors , so that we would not have to pay shipping costs if we wanted a couple of dishes. I vote for Columbus Ohio. Also two major highways I-70 and I-71 run through Columbus. And Sadoun is located in Columbus. (And it is only two hours from me... :) )

And we could have workshops...... booths....... SatelliteGuys could be a major sponsor.... FTA manufacturers and distributors would have booths..... new product releases ...... Deja Vu!

Count us in!!!

Actually a few people have tried getting me to do satellite shows, but in working a real job and the fact that finances have been tight for me personally I don't have the time or money to invest in something like that.

I do believe we need an industry show though, the Satellite Expo was a great idea just poorly managed and the promoter was trying to do to many things with it and off of it. If he would have stuck to just promoting the shows he would have been ok.

Two years ago I went out to Satellite AV's HQ in California and was amazed with his office and warehouse. Also had great training from Brian himself on Glorystar installs. I am so glad I got a chance to go.

I would love to go to one of Sadouns Parking Lots sales, but everytime he has one I cant go due to other obligations. One of these years I am going to make it. (And I would also like to go to the Dayton Hamvention as well.)

So much I would like to do, so little time. :(

Is there really a big enough hobbyist base in North America to warrant a show? I'm all for it, but it seems to be a rather niche hobby and there doesn't seem to be a lot of support for FTA boxes that can't be used to steal E* signals.
I know a lot of the boxes we use can and are used for completely legal purposes, but can also be used for other purposes even though manufacturers market them as FTA boxes. I liken it to going into a local shop where I used to get my rock t-shirts and posters. They used to have bongs and digital scales and other assorted smoking paraphernalia with a big sign that said, "For Tobacco Use Only." Suuuuuuuuuure :rolleyes:
Anyhow, I guess my point is, with these crackdowns, lawsuits, and all-around bullying by Charlie, are there enough consumers and manufacturers of equipment to support a show?

Of course, I am completely clueless about the business uses of satellite technology that might also benefit us hobbyists.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)