Save me from the darkside ;)

Dvlos said:
You're thinking HDNet movies on E* Darrell, switch gears to D*...
Not with 3 channels/transponder. :eek: If D* gets their act together with the launch of the new birds and quits choking bandwidth, I may go that direction.

Look, I like Voom but I'm a realist. And the reality is that if they couldn't provide an honest to god working demo of the PVR at CEDIA that's a problem. The date has slipped and slipped again. The financials look ugly. And the cost for digital cable with the HDPVR and HBO+Showtime is cheaper than Voom. I don't want Voom to fail, and I really don't want to admit I blew $500 on the hardware that I can't even Ebay. I keep looking for hope for the PVR, but everything that comes out is bad news. No actual working model. No firewire! No idea on the release date or the pricing. I'm not saying it's vaporware, but it could be a serious period of time before we see it.

I've put about 6 months into Voom now, and it's a nice service. I enjoy it. But I question the cost. Believe me, 6 months ago I was as gung ho as some of you about it. Voom was going to rock my world. And while I've had decent customer service from them, little to no billing issues, and very competent service techs I've started to feel lately like the end is just around the corner somewhere. I'll say again... no actual working PVR at CEDIA is a terrible way to prop up my support. Just some random musings. I'm on the wait list for my cable DVR (Oct. 1) and we'll see what happens after a month with it.

1) The software is Linux and they had working versions of this in the show.

2) They never released a date just "DVR coming soon" so stop acting like Voom lied to everyone. The rumors and guestimates posted here are just that. However we are looking at end of this year early next year which has been posted here several times.

3) Voom's not the first company to post serious losses and still make it, D* is posting 2 billion dollars lost in 3 years... it's not from their subs.

4) Cable DVR is nice, I still think Voom's Whole House Solution is going "rock your world" should you be patient enough.

1) No they didn't. They were running the thin clients and a Linux server, but not the whole house solution. They should have a prototype box by now.

2) I will respectfully disagree. We were told several times a general time frame, and that has slipped at least twice now. And I'm not even counting what CSRs told people ;).

3) I agree that losses aren't the end of the world. But looking at the financials as a whole isn't exactly confidence inspiring.

4) We'll see. I'm pretty picky about my DVRs (love my Replay) but my wife is really driving this one. I'll make the final call, but she's been pestering me about this for a while now.

I have 2 SD Replays plus a MyHD120 for HD locals. THey are nice, but not entirely convenient. And I will never pick up the peanut remote of doom ;)

I hope all their "whole house" option requires is a single cable out to the thin client from a PVR, I don't want to (or need to) wire my house for broadband or video/audio distribution. I don't need it, don't want it, don't care. I work with computers all damn day long and when I get home, I don't want anything to do with them, I want to plop down on my shaker enabled sofa and watch some awesome HD and get shook to death.

Darrell remind me, that I gotta find you some woman who can do that for you instead of your couch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)