savedbscompetition.org website still up

rtt2

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Cablevision has not yanked the www.savedbscompetition.org website yet. I wonder why?

Didn't someone say that it was being hosted on CV servers.

Could Dolan still be planning to reply to the objection Echostar filed?

also the other day someone posted that originally voom was going to be called hdselect, so last night i tried that website www.hdselect.com shows that its comming soon. maybe may 1??? who knows

hbk409 said:
also the other day someone posted that originally voom was going to be called hdselect, so last night i tried that website www.hdselect.com shows that its comming soon. maybe may 1??? who knows

Well it looks like someone may have read it on here and decided to take it. Somehow I don't think Cablevision or C. Dolan would use GoDADDY.com to register a name.

I doubt seriously a site that flew in the face of Cablevisions fiscal interests, would be hosted on their corporate webserver.

hbk409 said:

It's hosted by GoDaddy.com . I wonder if GoDaddy is Daddy Dolan. :rolleyes: LOL

hbk409 said:

I did a whois on this site, and I don't know how the mods feel about posting the exact whois data, but it is registered to someone out of Utah, and shows to have been created on march 24, 2004... Could be just someone domain sitting on that name with hopes of a buyer with big bucks to come along.
:D

gutter said:
Well it looks like someone may have read it on here and decided to take it. Somehow I don't think Cablevision or C. Dolan would use GoDADDY.com to register a name.

with the way things happened with voom, nothing would surprise me anymore

rtt2 said:
Cablevision has not yanked the www.savedbscompetition.org website yet. I wonder why?

Didn't someone say that it was being hosted on CV servers.

Could Dolan still be planning to reply to the objection Echostar filed?

I hope it's real and that they still object to the sale of TPs to Echostar. I registered as a member yesterday. I appose the sale to echostar no matter if C. Dolan does not have plans for the satellite. I still would like for the space to be left open for a future 3rd DBS provider no matter who they could be. The more competion the better and neither Dish or Direct appeal to me and neither one deserves more space to operate.

GoDaddy.com... that's the SuperBowl ad with the girl in that had the wardrobe malfunction. I believe they have the full unedited version online too. :shocked

-John

jbphoenix said:
I did a whois on this site, and I don't know how the mods feel about posting the exact whois data, but it is registered to someone out of Utah, and shows to have been created on march 24, 2004... Could be just someone domain sitting on that name with hopes of a buyer with big bucks to come along.
:D

Well spin-offs were planned over a year ago. Parking alternative names in odd places could have been part of an exit strategy. It's at least fun to have hopes and dreams. ;) :rolleyes:

Filing alleges Dolan's ally is fake

BY HARRY BERKOWITZ
STAFF WRITER

April 14, 2005

Even though the story of Voom seemed all but ended, a 43-page filing made public yesterday provides more evidence of how bizarre the battle over the satellite TV service has been between Cablevision and its chairman, Charles Dolan.

The joint filing with the Federal Communications Commission by Cablevision and satellite TV rival EchoStar Communications claims a consumer group that partnered with Dolan in trying to block the sale of Voom's sole satellite does not really exist. Also, a check of records indicates the president of the purported group -- the Association of Consumers to Preserve and Promote DBS (direct-broadcast satellite) Competition -- was tied to the former consulting firm of Voom's chief operating officer, Mickey Alpert.

Dolan and the association had told the FCC in a 53-page joint filing March 28 that Cablevision's deal to sell the satellite to EchoStar for $200 million would reduce competition and hurt consumers. Instead, they argued, Dolan should be able to buy the satellite to keep Voom alive.

Last week, the 15-member Cablevision board reconfirmed its decision to shut Voom rather than hand it over to Dolan, and this time the vote was unanimous, and included Dolan.

But that still left the requirement for Cablevision, which on March 29 disavowed Dolan's FCC filing, to elaborate on its argument that the filing should be ignored. Otherwise, Cablevision could face a lawsuit from EchoStar, which has called Dolan's filing perplexing.

Not only is Dolan's contention moot because of the Voom shutdown plan, Cablevision and EchoStar claim in their new filing, but "all available evidence strongly suggests that the association is a mere fiction, created by a single individual ... Jerome Sandler, for the sole purpose of filing the petition."

Sandler, 70, reached at his home in Rockville, Md., said, "What they say is not true," but he declined to comment on how many members the association had, or when it was formed and why.

A record in the Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation identifies Sandler as having been the registered agent in the incorporation of Alpert & Associates. Sandler, a Voom subscriber since last May, declined to comment on that also, referring that matter to Alpert, who did not return a call.

The new filing by Cablevision and EchoStar also expands on the argument that EchoStar -- whose service Cablevision, the nation's sixth biggest cable operator, has mocked in advertisements -- should be strengthened to benefit consumers, especially in rural areas, which have been slower to gain access to high-definition television channels.

The unusual battle pitted Dolan against his chief executive son, James, a longtime opponent of Voom who signed the contract to sell the satellite.

According to the new filing, during the past six years Cablevision invested $1 billion in Jericho-based Voom, which stressed high-definition channels. But the service attracted only 40,000 customers, mainly in urban areas, and had less than $15 million in total revenue.

In contrast, EchoStar was gaining 40,000 customers every 10 days while Voom suffered "astoundingly high" customer dropout rates, suggesting a "low likelihood of viability," the filing states.

Dolan, who last month ousted three directors who had condoned the deal to sell the satellite, plans on Monday to drop three more, cutting the size of the board to 12, including nine who do not require approval by non-Dolan shareholders.

Cablevision spokesman Charles Schueler did not return a call seeking comment from the company or Dolan.

Newsday Article posted here

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)