Say it aint so 811 !dvdburner issue

robertjp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2004
Upstate NY
Somebody please correct me if Im wrong but for those of you who have a 811 you will not be able to hookup a dvd recorder (home style) with anything other than s-video or composite cables. There is no rf out on the 811 to go to a dvd burner and there are no component "in" jacks on any dvd burners. So back in time we go with the 811. Plus many of the timer features will not work since the only way you can get channels is by "line". What were these guys thinking when they designed this.?? Somebody say it aint so.

There is a s video out from the satellite already but I wanted a true digital signal. Surely I must not be the only one with this problem.

Do you have a DVD recorder capable of recording HD? If not, just use S-video cables. SD material tends to look a little better to me with S-video vs. an SD picture upconverted to 1080i for my TV via DVI cables anyways.

No just a regular burner. Are you saying there would be no noticeable difference betwee s video and component? I dont think so.

You're right - but when comparing SD signals, they can't approach the horsepower difference between component and s-video.

If this is a non-HD burner, we're talking the equivalent of putting 93 octane in a Yugo. :)

robertjp said:
There is a s video out from the satellite already but I wanted a true digital signal. Surely I must not be the only one with this problem.

S-Video is your best option. Component doesn't have anything resempling a digital signal. The only digital output from the 811 is the DVI connection.

What does your burner use for its highest resolution? 480i? That's what the s-video will be.

Garry,

I think the highest resolution is 480p. a Panasonic model 544? The point is you spend all this money on a HD tv, a high def 811, and a burner and you still cant record a true digital signal on any burner with the 811.

Well, I wouldn't fault the 811 for for that shortcoming. I don't believe there is a recorder built that can utilize a digital output in the form of DVI HDCP. We're slaves to the available allowed connectors. Unless you find a firewire tuner and recorder, which no satellite company offers, it's a no hope situation for a true digital interconnect. Analog will have to be part of the solution.

The biggest complaint I have about the 811 is it's rather poor picture quality on the SD outputs (both s-video and composite). It seems especially bad on 720p channels such as ESPN. I also have a model 6000 and the s-video output on it looks like HD compared to the s-video output on the 811. I have recorded several programs from HD Net and CBS HD on my DVD recorder with good results from the 6000. I just leave the receiver on the channel I want to record (or set an event timer) and set the DVD timer to record from the line input. It is somewhat inconvenient, but it works.

I have a Panasonic E55 DVD burner hooked up to my 811 and my 510 using svideo. The video I have recorded has been outstanding. I will say and I am probably going to get flamed on this, but I used those "standard" red and white audio cables along with the el cheapo svideo cable that came with the receivers. I tried them and ya they worked fine from both receivers going into the burner, however I decided to be a techno geek and try different cables. My oh my what a difference it made. I went out and bought 2 6ft monster svideo cables along with monster (red and white) audio cables going from both receivers into the burner. The difference between the "standard" el cheapo cables and monster was second to none. That's why I don't mind spending a few extra bucks on them. I hook the whole system up and use the optical sound out from the burner into my surround sound receiver. I also use the "component" output on the burner and plug it directly into the tv. So actually svideo going into the burner then component going out. I have had great success with my burner and my setup. If you need pointers let me know.

Thanks guys for the input. Enforcer, sounds like you and I have almost the same equipment. I may try an improved s video cable. One thing no one has answered that Im still wondering is : is it even possible to hookup to the burner from the sat box IF the sat box had an rf out? My old 501 had one with pvr so Im thinking about hooking them both up but just have to figure out if its possible to run 2 sat boxes from one cable without losing picture quality.
Regards BP

Check your personal messages....i will guide you step by step on how i have mine setup. Couldn't be happier with picture quality.

Skywalker Signature Series RF Modulator with S-Video...Claude can get you one for under $20.00.

Jason

nippjas said:
Skywalker Signature Series RF Modulator with S-Video...Claude can get you one for under $20.00.

Jason
Is that a MTS (Stereo) modulator?

[edit]Evidently not. RatShaq has a MTS modulator for around $35 designed to hook up a DVD player to a stoopid TV that doesn't have line inputs.

Nippjas,

What is a rf modulator to s video adapter? What will it acomplish for me. (adding an rf out to the sat box?) Thanks BP

Enforcer said:
I have a Panasonic E55 DVD burner hooked up to my 811 and my 510 using svideo. The video I have recorded has been outstanding. I will say and I am probably going to get flamed on this, but I used those "standard" red and white audio cables along with the el cheapo svideo cable that came with the receivers. I tried them and ya they worked fine from both receivers going into the burner, however I decided to be a techno geek and try different cables. My oh my what a difference it made. I went out and bought 2 6ft monster svideo cables along with monster (red and white) audio cables going from both receivers into the burner. The difference between the "standard" el cheapo cables and monster was second to none. That's why I don't mind spending a few extra bucks on them. I hook the whole system up and use the optical sound out from the burner into my surround sound receiver. I also use the "component" output on the burner and plug it directly into the tv. So actually svideo going into the burner then component going out. I have had great success with my burner and my setup. If you need pointers let me know.
I have a similar setup only with an E-85 recorder, 811 & 508.

Although I get excellent PQ from either Dish receiver when hooked direct to my HDTV, neither look very good when passing through my E85, especially if I have progressive scan turned on. I run both S-Vid & component out from the E-85 to my TV and neither look as good as the direct lines to the TV but the component line looks worse than the S-Vid.

I will admit that if I record an HD program (down converted from S-Vid input) it usually looks better when played back (either from HDD or dvd-r) than it did while monitoring during recording. If I record at SP to HDD and high speed dub to dvd-r, it really looks pretty decent (except I haven't really figured out how to consistantly get a widescreen aspect ratio).

But recordings from SD usually don't look any better than if I recorded to a VHS tape. Even from programs where the PQ is excellent when viewed through a direct 508 to TV connection. It's like something is degrading the signal in the E-85 or I've got something setup wrong.

I haven't tried expensive S-Vid cables (I think mine are RCA brand) or a power conditioner yet but I've read mixed reviews as to the PQ improvment either provide. It looks like about $150 bucks to upgrade to decent cables and a power conditioner board, which I'd do if it would improve the quality of my dvd recordings.
WaltinVt

Try an broken VCR

You can use any old stereo VHS VCR that has working electronics with/without a working deck. Connect the composite and audio input cables you will get a good RF output.

Foxbat said:
Is that a MTS (Stereo) modulator?

[edit]Evidently not. RatShaq has a MTS modulator for around $35 designed to hook up a DVD player to a stoopid TV that doesn't have line inputs.
Roland, Relax man, I'm traveling...been out of country most of week. I will look it up when I get back or you can call Claude at the dishstore and have him look it up.

Jason

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts