Saying Goodbye After All These Years!

It has become the Dish "Soon" for the OTA. Especially with the growing locals disputes experienced by many providers now OTA really is a must if you can get the signal.

We need you to stick around for the popcorn.

Tampa8 said:
Ya, and there is no benefit at all from the Hopper system. It might make a difference if you had HD DVR service at every TV, and a way to watch recordings from any room, or if there was a way to skip commercials easier. Maybe if you had more storage than a VIP receiver, or it had more tuners, or maybe if other magazines said it was a very good receiver. Or if Direct TV charged a $20 whole home service fee. Then maybe the Hopper would be worth it over the one HD/one SD VIP receiver.

:rolleyes:

I felt the same way during the first month that Hopper was out. Once I upgraded though there's no way I would go back!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

DirecTV is a good service, but howiss losing several popular Viacom channels in dispute between DirecTV and Viacom for days make things any better at DirecTV regarding disputes. And get ready for MORE DirecTV taking the Dish road as Michael White has made it clear that is his NUMBER ONE problem/concern/trouble, and he is ready to do what it takes to get those programming costs under some improvement or control, and his not offering a whole suite of popular Viacom channels for days demonstrates his seriousness regarding this problem and his willingness put DirecTV subscribers into numbers of lost channels that make Dish drop channel disputes look like not even serious.

White should be taking the Dish road. As of now, their package prices are 20%+ more than Dish. He's probably realized he can't afford to keep bending over.

I will stick with my old motorola programs I wont choice of programs,,no raine fade,no price increase,also no sports,like history,rfd, er,just a fue & don"t need danned o credit card to pay..planning on getting a manhaten fta. this fall ,I had a star,forgot name ,it worked bout half got sepert ku.dish.I miss the german ch & news ch..I am a bug for music on computer,,don"t realy care for tv..I work for shack part time fixing tv..all I hear is bitching bout dish & direct..I thought big dish was dead..If thay would put network & sport on thay would cell..people getting tird being riped off..
Can someone translate this into English for me?

what he said is: got big c-band dish and a 4DTV box and pays very little $.
wants to buy another FTA receiver.
if you really wanted to know.

UPDATE of POSTING

I have followed this forum for many years but have never been a poster. After 8+ years of Dish, I am leaving today with installation of Directv. I am just to the point of being tired of Dish's fighting with channels and losing channels over squabbles. The way I look at it is that I am spending a ton of money no matter which TV provider I choose, so I may as well go with the one who seems to settle their squabbles more frequently by passing the cost onto the consumer and I end up getting continuity with my channels. AMC was the last straw for me along with the current threats of losing the BigTen Network. Dish is always trying to squeeze the turnip and fight with these companies all the time to "save me money". I learned a long time ago that you get what you pay for and the cheaper rates at Dish are just not worth the hassles of losing channels anymore - and besides that, I am "finally" getting my PBS and CW channels in HD with the move. So I will be moving onto the other side with the Directv Forum, but wanted to say thanks to all of you for the tips and tricks you willingly shared over the years to make my Dish viewing more enjoyable.

::: The installation went well was was completed by a company called Direct Sat USA. The installer was well trained and very courteous. It was muddy and he even put on protective covers over his boots each time he entered the house. He installed the satellite dish on a pole and called his boss to ask them to waive the $75.00 pole installation fee which was great customer service. I had him install whole home dvr service with the HR34, HR24, and a H24 receiver. He was able to hard wire the comcast internet service to the receivers so no wireless connection is needed which I am very happy about. The HD signal is great and no issues with SD channels. So far so good and I am happy with the switch...if I do not lose any of my channels down the road I think it would be a win for me personally with all things considered.

DirecTV is a good service, but howiss losing several popular Viacom channels in dispute between DirecTV and Viacom for days make things any better at DirecTV regarding disputes. And get ready for MORE DirecTV taking the Dish road as Michael White has made it clear that is his NUMBER ONE problem/concern/trouble, and he is ready to do what it takes to get those programming costs under some improvement or control, and his not offering a whole suite of popular Viacom channels for days demonstrates his seriousness regarding this problem and his willingness put DirecTV subscribers into numbers of lost channels that make Dish drop channel disputes look like not even serious.

I don't mind a channel being pulled if necessary for a couple days while they work it out. The problem is that two often for Dish it is much longer than that if the channels ever come back at all.

At the end of the day, the OP hit his breaking point. We all got ours. My wife and kids, it's Disney, hands down. Dish goes out and hires the exterminator, we scrape Dish off the roof. At least my wife does while my daughter kicks me in the junk to stop me from stoping the wife. For me, local sports are the breaking point. I want to see my teams. So if Dish pulls NESN or CSN New England. It's me scraping the Dish off the roof while the wife asks me which we are going to, Directv or Comcast. Good luck and hope you are happy.

At the end of the day, the OP hit his breaking point. We all got ours. My wife and kids, it's Disney, hands down. Dish goes out and hires the exterminator, we scrape Dish off the roof. At least my wife does while my daughter kicks me in the junk to stop me from stoping the wife. For me, local sports are the breaking point. I want to see my teams. So if Dish pulls NESN or CSN New England. It's me scraping the Dish off the roof while the wife asks me which we are going to, Directv or Comcast. Good luck and hope you are happy.

Sadly none of my kids have complained about Di$ney in SD. Even sadder none of my kids have complained about Di$ney programming. Where did I go wrong with them? Actually only my youngest still watches the stuff, but you would think by now he would have noticed.

david_jr said:
Sadly none of my kids have complained about Di$ney in SD. Even sadder none of my kids have complained about Di$ney programming. Where did I go wrong with them? Actually only my youngest still watches the stuff, but you would think by now he would have noticed.

The cartoons seem to look good in SD or HD.

The Disney thing has me a little mad just because it's been so long and still no resolution in site. Makes me wonder how long we will be without the AMC channels now too!

i understand what you mean, but i can't help picturing what you have described in this post :haha sorry :eek:

DirecTV is a good service, but howiss losing several popular Viacom channels in dispute between DirecTV and Viacom for days make things any better at DirecTV regarding disputes.
The differences between the recent Dish/AMC and Direct/Viacom disputes were discussed at the time. And, it was clear why most people supported Direct, but not many supported Dish.

-Dish dropped the AMC channels. Viacom pulled their channels from Direct.
-Dish made the decision in advance to drop AMC at the end of the contract, with no negotiation. DirecTV wanted to keep the channels up while negotiating.
-AMC made some of their programming available at no charge on the Net. Viacom removed all of their programming from the Net.
-Dish is doing this because of Charlie's personal dislike of AMC's parent corporation due to a separate lawsuit having nothing to do with these channels. DirecTV was only concerned with the issue at hand, the current carriage agreement with Viacom.
-Quite simply, Dish has more of these public disputes with content providers, always using the excuse of saving its customers money. Yet, never has a loss of channels brought about a reduction in package price.
-Dish was involved in 22 of the 42 most recent channel takedowns on cable/satellite.

I'm sure there's more. But, those were the main ones off the top of my head right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts