SBC & Dish in new Joint Venture

Randy_B said:
I woulldn't mind a $150 a month price for the entire SBC package (DVR, Sat TV (+HD), Cingular, unlimited local/long voice, DSL)

The survey I took said they were looking at $200/mo for DISH, DSL, all distance, and wireless. Still not too bad though.

makman said:
I am confused about this. It seems 2 me that there are 2 different devices. Here is from the 2Wire website:

MediaPoint is a client set top box that delivers the same features and services as its MediaPortal companion by leveraging the power of your broadband DSL connection and your home network. It brings the best of the airwaves and the Internet to more televisions and devices throughout your home.
Mitch, as I took it, the MediaPortal is the box that can receive TV via the Internet through SBC DSL as well as DishNetowrk and OTA DTV stations. Also, it includes a DVD drive that can be used to hold your movie DVDs & music CDs and serve them to devices in your home network. The MediaPoint is the local client that can play back HD and SD content from the MediaPortal in addition to having its own HD DVR capabilities from Satellite and OTA DTV. At least that was my impression. MediaPortal > MediaPoint.
makman said:
However the website does not really distinguish between the 2 in features, as far as I can tell. It seems that each set will need a box.
From the 2Wire website:
Multi-Room Entertainment Networking
With your networked MediaPortal and MediaPoints you can watch recorded shows and schedule new recordings from any television in the home. You can even pause live TV in one room and resume watching in another.
makman said:
The question is how much are each?
Inquiring Minds Want to Know!

jameskris said:
The survey I took said they were looking at $200/mo for DISH, DSL, all distance, and wireless. Still not too bad though.

No, that's not a good price. I have SBC local phone service only, Dish 120 on 4 TV sets with a 522 and two 311s, DSL Pro service, and all distance for $120 a month. My cell bill with Sprint runs $37 a month. That's $157 total for my communication's bill. Personally, I don't feel this set-top unit plus HD is worth the $43 a month extra.

They sent me survey like that. At $150 I was an absolute definite, at $175 I said I would balk BUT might, at $200 I told them I would pass.

Randy_B said:
They sent me survey like that. At $150 I was an absolute definite, at $175 I said I would balk BUT might, at $200 I told them I would pass.

Lets see - $76 for E*, $86 for Cingular (3 mobiles), $49.95 for SBC DSL, $89 for 2 phone lines (long story, live too far away from Dallas, have to pay a special unregulated access fee). I'll take the $200 a month and run!

Today I got to see the new SBC / Dish Network U-VERSE Satellite Receiver / Broadband adaptor and I was VERY impressed with it.

I will be posting a review and photos later tonight in a seperate CES report.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I will be posting a review and photos later tonight in a seperate CES report.
Thanks, Scott, I, for one am looking forward to it. SatelliteGuys.US is the next best thing to being at WCES!

I pay around 150.00 out the door for all of SBC's phone services, SBC DSL, SBC Dish with 180 channels and SBC cingular cell phone services. You get a break with the Bundled deal they offer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts