SBC Dish & the 522 Install

Yellowtr6

Original poster
Feb 4, 2005
I'm about the order Dish from SBC (retired employee here) but have a concern after reading my father-in-laws 522 User Guide. I want to use the 522 on just one TV and take advantage of the flexibility 2 tuners give you. My understanding is that the 522 has to be in "Single Mode" for the two tuners to work with just one TV. In reading his 522 guide, it says that the Mode feature is for future use and that the receiver should *always* be in Dual Mode. Does anyone have SBC Dish and use the 522 in Single Mode? Seeing as Dish and their contractors are doing all the installations for SBC, the 522 shouldn't be any different just because it's branded SBC. Also, how do you hook up the 522 to take advantage of the two tuners?

As a long time Replay TV PVR user I'm totally spoiled by this technology.
Thanks

Yellowtr6 said:
I'm about the order Dish from SBC (retired employee here) but have a concern after reading my father-in-laws 522 User Guide. I want to use the 522 on just one TV and take advantage of the flexibility 2 tuners give you. My understanding is that the 522 has to be in "Single Mode" for the two tuners to work with just one TV. In reading his 522 guide, it says that the Mode feature is for future use and that the receiver should *always* be in Dual Mode. Does anyone have SBC Dish and use the 522 in Single Mode? Seeing as Dish and their contractors are doing all the installations for SBC, the 522 shouldn't be any different just because it's branded SBC. Also, how do you hook up the 522 to take advantage of the two tuners?

As a long time Replay TV PVR user I'm totally spoiled by this technology.
Thanks

The manuals said that when they came out because Single Mode was not available then. Single mode is, and has been, available for a while. Visiting the DVR forum or using the "Search" button will bring up threads regarding single mode, including instructions on how to switch over from Dual to Single.

Going from single mode to dual mode is just one press of a button on the front of the receiver so its not like you get the 522 to only use single mode. You can use single mode now and swtich to dual mode 5 seconds later if you want to. With single you can use the PIP function, or watch one show on tv1 while you record something different on tv 1. But even in dual mode, you can watch something on tv1 while you record something different on tv2. The cool thing is, it doesnt matter if you record the show on tv1 or tv2, you can play it back from either set so basically single mode isnt that necessary unless you want to use PIP. As soon as you switch to single mode, tv2 will have to watch the same show as tv 1 is watching. I just keep mine in dual mode so tv1 and tv 2 can have two different shows on at the same time if 2 people are home. The only time I switch to single is when noone is watching tv2 so I can use the PIP.

Basically what I am saying is, if you get the 522 you should take advantage of the two TV setup. Anytime tv2 is not being used, then simply get up off the couch and press the button on the front of the receiver to switch to single mode if you want to use the PIP function. Other than that keep it in dual mode, and record on TV2 when you are watching something on tv1 and vice versa.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)