SBC to Aquire ATT for $16B

gpflepsen

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
SE NE
I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet. Will this mean that ATT customers will get the new 2Wire box? :)

I really don't see them blocking this. Just look at the consolidation in the oil industry.

NightRyder

From my understanding, AT&T was broke up because they constituted a monopoly. SBC was one of the regional spin-offs. Now this one regional spin-off has gained enough marketshare and power to actually buy back it's 'parent' company.

Strange indeed.

I must be missing something, SBC just layed off half the customer service people that service my area. Guess you have to get lean to grow. It wasnt that long ago SBC was a really lousy company in complete disarray in Michigan. Took over two weeks to get service or a new install. They cleaned up their act after the AG of Michigan started leveeing fines at them. From a pure amateur's standpoint, I dont like this deal.

gpflepsen said:
From my understanding, AT&T was broke up because they constituted a monopoly. SBC was one of the regional spin-offs. Now this one regional spin-off has gained enough marketshare and power to actually buy back it's 'parent' company.

Strange indeed.

I was part of the Pacific Telephone divestiture staff back in 1983 and 1984. Pacific Telephone was part of the Bell System, owned by AT&T. Let me say this, AT&T was not broken up because they constituted a monopoly. The system was set up the way it was because, in the bygone era, there were too many telephone companies and the system didn't work well. That said, divestiture was enforced because of a court order based on a lawsuit brought on by MCI, a long distance upstart. MCI won the lawsuit and as part of the settlement, AT&T was ordered to divest. It's that simple. The divestiture itself wasn't simple at all, as you can understand.

http://www.bellsystemmemorial.com/att_divestiture.html#chroniclenewsupdate

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts