SC Installation - West Palm Beach FL

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

camweb

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2005
ThunderBay.ON.CA
I'm installing a 75e dish with quad LNB North of West Palm Beach Florida. I have a quick question about the cabling to the dish. Do I need to put a switch in the line like with my BEV system in Canada? Or do I just run one straight line of RG6 from the LNB to the receiver? If I only have to run one line, what hookup on the quad LNB should I use? Help is greatly appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read my post.

No switch is needed (it's internal to the LNB). Just pick any one of the 4 hookups, they are all the same (and each provides the channels from both birds).

camweb said:
I'm installing a 75e dish with quad LNB North of West Palm Beach Florida. I have a quick question about the cabling to the dish. Do I need to put a switch in the line like with my BEV system in Canada? Or do I just run one straight line of RG6 from the LNB to the receiver? If I only have to run one line, what hookup on the quad LNB should I use? Help is greatly appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Thanks bwaldron, that seemed to have done the trick.

However, I am unable to get a decent signal. I have a 75e dish with quad lnb from KUSat, a 315 receiver and about 30' of RG6 in between. I've also been using a sat finder that has proven very useful for BEV installations before, even down here in Stuart, one hour north of West Palm.

I have set the Provider to 4128, and get a signal strenght of 18, but my sat finder shows a signal strength of 7 when cranked completely down. Also, I seem to have found two satellites, one with an elevtion of nearly 50, and the other around 43.7, which is the one I believe I should be locking on to. Have I missed anything? I am using the following coordinates: AZ 233.3 EL 43.7 and SK 136. I've also tried compensating for True North by subtracting 4.5 to 5 degrees.

Any help is greatly appreciated, my white Canadian skin is getting burnt to all heck standing on the top of the ladder for hours on end.

A Starchoice install is much tricker then a BEV install.. the dish is much more sensitive to aiming then the 20" circular dish.

You want to point the dish at 111.1 degrees, and if the skew is correct, 107.3 should fall right into place.

set your skew and elevation for 111.1, and swing the dish around until your meter starts screaming.. once you have it pointed, then you can fine tune the elevation and skew accordingly

According to Satfinder, you should be pointing at the following:

Anik E2R 111.1W 233.1 239.1 43.8 45.6

That is 239.1 on the compass (already has declination), 43.8 elevation, and 45.6 skew (add 90 to this for the skew value on the dish.. so 135.6)

the problem with the FSS LNB on Starchoice dishes is that it will pick up every single Ku satellite out there (one almost every 2 degrees in the sky).. not like the circular LNBs on BEV/Dish.. they only pick up other circular birds (which are only every 9-10 degrees in the sky)..

Thanks for the help ultatryon, I'll climb up the ladder yet again and hopefull pull it right in within an hour or two.

now that you have the numbers, screw the signal meter...use the ebno number :)

options 6-0-5 right arrow to "Diagnostic C"
there is a number in the right hand side that is either a + or a - number.
+ means signal
- means none

aim in the general direction (239...so 180 is south...aim towards east) then SLOWLY move it 1/4" at a time and see if that ebno changes...once you get a hit of a signal, the ebno number will move.

Once you get a + number, fine tune it with elevation and azimuth until you get a high number
+5 is minimum
+7.5 is optimum :)

Well, I've been able to pull in +9.4, and here I thought the signal meter was useful, but the instant I took it off and had someone relaying numbers, boom, out of the purgatory that is -1.0 & -0.9. Thanks for all of your help.

Any advice on activating SC service? I bought the receiver through FutureShop online, and the 75e dish from KuSat. Also, I have Vonage down here with a local 772 number, should I do a three-way call with someone from my billing address in Canada?

Starchoice does not really care about the phone numbers.. I have called them in the past with technical problems from my US Cellphone.

Give them a buzz, and if they ask, tell them you are using your US VoIP system because its cheaper (which is the truth).. but I doubt they will ask.. they didnt ask me

camweb said:
Well, I've been able to pull in +9.4, and here I thought the signal meter was useful, but the instant I took it off and had someone relaying numbers, boom, out of the purgatory that is -1.0 & -0.9. Thanks for all of your help.
sweet...glad to help out :)
I've aimed a few dishes with that ebno # :)

Any advice on activating SC service? I bought the receiver through FutureShop online, and the 75e dish from KuSat. Also, I have Vonage down here with a local 772 number, should I do a three-way call with someone from my billing address in Canada?
if you have the address, just call them :)

to make sure you have the skew correct, check the EbNos on 299 and 298.. 299 is on Anik F1 (107.3 position) and 298 is on Anik F2 (111.1 position)

you should try to get the EnNos on those channels as close as possible to each other.

I'm having a weird problem, at first I thought it was because the receiver hadn't downloaded the guide information yet, but it's been at least 24-48 hours and there still isn't any guide information, and while the channels display the channel title i.e. CTV - Thunder Bay, it will not display the program information or the guide, it says unavailable. Have I missed something? I don't to make any waves at *C, but it would be nice to have the programming information.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks for taking the time to help.

need a rehit from SC

If you go to a channel, does the top of the screen have the channel number, time (current time) and the chanenl name?

as such
TSN 400 8:00AM

if the TSN isnt in the titile..you need a rehit. Also, in the bottom bar, it would have the call sign and not CTV-Thunder Bay.

I had the same issue. Rehit takes care of it :)

camweb said:
Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks for taking the time to help.

I assume that you are getting the programming and that you are seeing "No Info" in each rectangle of the IPG.

Do a hard reboot to flush old corrupted guide info - pull plug from wall for a few minutes.

If you are getting no programming or wrong programming; a rehit will be required

After you have plugged the receiver back in, the guide data should reload within 20 minutes.

If that doesn't work, you will have to call SC

camweb

on the top of the screen, does it say the channel name or not? If it doesnt show the channel name next to the number, you need a rehit from SC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)