Scales still tipped toward Blu-ray

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
...according to the media research firm Understandings & Solutions. In an article on page 12 of Home Media Magazine, they say, in part:

“The Paramount announcement has weakened the Blu-ray offerings…. Having said that, it hasn’t strengthened HD DVD. The weight of the industry is still very much behind Blu-ray…We do not believe, overall, it’s going to change the outcome of this battle.”

“We won’t see resolution in Q4 this year…Paramount’s decision prolongs [confusion over] the format issue.”

Understand & Solutions predicts 669 million high-def units will be sold domestically by 2011.

Now this is a company that earns it's living studying the market and gets paid for it's analysis. Can't say they're "fan boys" either way, and the article notes they are not picking sides, they're going by sales and other factors.

Same issue, same page, talks about Disney kicking off their Dog & Pony show in CA. Of course, they note some folks are waiting for BD players to come down further in price. I've got to find out where that tour goes, as I'd like to see it.

OK, got to comment here.

I do give that Blu-Ray has an edge. How much? I don't know, if you think in terms of the old type of scales (titer-totter) Blu-Ray has more weight, however, they themselves still don't touch the ground (holding HD-DVD up in the air to blow away). Truth in my eyes is that Blu-Ray is the current tilt, however, it wouldn't take that much to tilt in the other direction (couple more really cheap player deals, more content from Universal, etc...) It isn’t a fat guy (300 pound) and a skinny guy (120 pound) on a titer-totter situation, more like a guy that weighs 205 pounds on one side and a guy that weighs 198 on the other.

So with this in mind, the idea that it is a big deal that the scales still tip in Blu-Ray's favor, means nothing really (IMHO). Am I one to say Blu-Ray should be counted out now? No, sorry I don’t know who will “win”, but neither is really blowing anyone away right now. A win to me will be when one format can no longer sell a single video, the other has won.

Predictable. Despite a total lack of evidence, if anyone or any organization publishes something you don't like, such as something favorable about Blu-ray, they're "fan boys" or a "Blu-ray mouthpiece" or spreading FUD.

Predictable. Despite a total lack of evidence, if anyone or any organization publishes something you don't like, such as something favorable about Blu-ray, they're "fan boys" or a "Blu-ray mouthpiece" or spreading FUD.

You know good and well if the article was slanted towards HDDVD you would be shootin' it down.

I don't claim any published analysis is from "a mouthpiece" or "fan boy" or "spreading FUD." In fact, I don't recall ever attempting to discredit anyone who has published a report favorable to HD DVD. Calling names is unproductive, although it does serve the purpose of letting the less emotional know "where you're coming from."

If this is true about Mitsubishi releasing a 3D Blu-Ray player, and if the price is right, then "three dimensional television" might become the killer app that high definition has been struggling to be.

Oh, and by the way, this would definitely help BD. :up :D

Blu-ray.com - Mitsubishi Developing 3D Blu-ray Player

Mitsubishi Developing 3D Blu-ray Player
Posted August 23, 2007 by Josh

Mitsubishi is currently developing a Blu-ray player which can convert 2D images into a 3D viewing experience, on-the-fly. While 3D movies have been around for decades, they have never made it in to the mainstream, mostly because films are required to be shot for 3D. What Mitsubishi is attempting to do, is convert your existing 2D library to stunning 3D on-the-fly, and deliver that technology early next year.

The technology works with current DLP displays, and any other TV which can output at 120MHz (120fps). The image is converted to 3D, and then output to your TV as two separate 60fps feeds which are then output from you display by alternating feeds. While no working product was available at the demonstration, the aggressive launch date suggests that Mitsubishi has had at least some success in the lab.

The consumer friendly one. The one with finalized specs and less expensive.

You mean the losing format !
:eureka

Can you show where you got your Warner info from ?
And please don't say well I read a rumor here, show fact's.
Otherwise you are spreading FUD !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts