Scanning all of your DVRs, how many channels can you record at once?

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
I have the Hopper 3, which can record 16 channels or 19 when 4 of them are on the Big Four, plus the new dual OTA tuner. So, so far that's 21 channels. But add on my TiVo Bolt for my OTA as well and that's 25 channels at once.

I had 6 sat and 3 OTA tuners on 3 VIP dvr's before. Now I have 16+2 on my H3 which by the way seems to be offline right now. :mad:

Edited to add: and now it's back.

I find that now that I have the ability to record 16 satellite tuners and 2 ota tuners that I have less that I want to record. Now that I've lost HBO I have even less cable shows to record. Also with my Tablo ota dvr that records 4 shows at a time, I don't even use my Hopper for local recording other than News/weather reports and I have dropped sat locals. If my wife didn't have over 60 damn timers for just about every show that HGTV and DIY channel has , I would of moved back to a Wally + ext hard drive and saved the $15.00 dvr fee. I might still do that once the new year gets here. I need to cut my tv costs anyway I can. Paying $15.00 a month x 12 months =$180.00 a year. I could almost afford two Wally receivers at $99.99 for that price.

I find that now that I have the ability to record 16 satellite tuners and 2 ota tuners that I have less that I want to record. Now that I've lost HBO I have even less cable shows to record. Also with my Tablo ota dvr that records 4 shows at a time, I don't even use my Hopper for local recording other than News/weather reports and I have dropped sat locals. If my wife didn't have over 60 damn timers for just about every show that HGTV and DIY channel has , I would of moved back to a Wally + ext hard drive and saved the $15.00 dvr fee. I might still do that once the new year gets here. I need to cut my tv costs anyway I can. Paying $15.00 a month x 12 months =$180.00 a year. I could almost afford two Wally receivers at $99.99 for that price.

I really think the Wally is the way to go, the only negative I can find is you can't watch recorded shows on any TV in the house.

The only downside of that is that all the SD output on the composite ports is letterboxed.
Speaking of letterbox on an SD signal from the Dish receiver on composite: I was in Germany in 2000. They were all digital at that point. My friend had a CRT TV, SD version, and every channel was letterboxed because every channel used a 16:9 format. We really should have adopted the same thing here.

I have the Hopper 3, which can record 16 channels or 19 when 4 of them are on the Big Four, plus the new dual OTA tuner. So, so far that's 21 channels. But add on my TiVo Bolt for my OTA as well and that's 25 channels at once.

Plus it can pull down one on demand show at the same time as doing all that other stuff.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Claude, I am not familiar with Direct TV products and TiVos. Can they all see each other in all your TVs in your home?

Yes all the Directv receivers will share each other’s play lists regardless of the account.

The Directv TiVo receivers will not share play lists, neither will my TiVo’s with cable card.

The only issue on multiple DVR’s is the play lists will not always show up on the other DVR’s but I think that was a internet connection issue with the way I had things wired up.

I was bridging an internet connection between 2 SWM 16 switches. I really need to upgrade my house to a DSWM30 and hook everything up via gig eithernet cables

Reactions: charlesrshell
Speaking of letterbox on an SD signal from the Dish receiver on composite: I was in Germany in 2000. They were all digital at that point. My friend had a CRT TV, SD version, and every channel was letterboxed because every channel used a 16:9 format. We really should have adopted the same thing here.

Yeah I had a Sony Wega 4x3 CRT television with 16x9 enhanced mode for HD.

The dish receivers where terrible because I would have to switch inputs when going between SD and HD to get the aspect ratio correct

Got Directv and put it in native mode and the aspect ratio would automatically adjust and disable the 16x9 enhanced mode.

Btw, 16x9 enhanced was taking a 4x3 display and putting letter boxes at the top and bottom but displaying the full 1080 lines of resolution in the 16x9 viewable area.

Reactions: pattykay