Scanning in OTA digital channels - 622 vs. 811

Stacy A

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 15, 2003
northeast Texas
I currently have an 811 and I have a couple of digital channels available to me that I cannot get, not because of signal strength issues, but apparently the PSIP information in the datastream is not recognizable to the 811's OTA tuner and the receiver will lock up if you try to tune in to those channels. I think it will recognize it if I scan for OTA channels, but I can't do the scan because I get my OTA channels from two different directions (Northeast and West). I live smack dab in the middle of two markets and pick up both very well. When you scan one side and add the channels in and then try to scan the other side, the 811 deletes the previously scanned channels. Does anyone know if the 622 keeps your already scanned channels in memory if you complete another scan?

I currently have an 811 and I have a couple of digital channels available to me that I cannot get, not because of signal strength issues, but apparently the PSIP information in the datastream is not recognizable to the 811's OTA tuner and the receiver will lock up if you try to tune in to those channels. I think it will recognize it if I scan for OTA channels, but I can't do the scan because I get my OTA channels from two different directions (Northeast and West). I live smack dab in the middle of two markets and pick up both very well. When you scan one side and add the channels in and then try to scan the other side, the 811 deletes the previously scanned channels. Does anyone know if the 622 keeps your already scanned channels in memory if you complete another scan?

Yes, the 622 does keep the previously scanned channels.

The 811 will keep the scanned channels if you add the additional channels manually. When the 811 scans, it reset and removes the existing channels.

Its when I add the channels manually that it cannot interpret the PSIP. It can tell me I get a "signal" from the channel, but when I try to save it, it locks up.

My 811 did that with 1 channel and now my 211 is doing the same thing. I get good signal on the channel but it won't lock. It must be a problem with the PSIP data that channel is sending out. I don't think it makes a difference which receiver you have.

Now my tv is a different story. It doesn't have a problem with the PSIP data. So whenever I want to watch that channel I'll just flip over to the antenna input on my tv and it's fine.

Does it do that for any channel you try and add?

No. Just on two channels. My father-in-law next door has a 622 and gets them both fine. I'm thinking the 811's 8VSB tuner is jsut out of date because these are two fairly new digital channels.

Stacy A, I have a replacement 811 that for some reason will not scan for loacl channels and lock them in. My original receiver worked great for over a year then went dark. Now the replacement won't find the local channels. Dish support says itmay be a s/w problem. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks

Stacy A, I have a replacement 811 that for some reason will not scan for loacl channels and lock them in. My original receiver worked great for over a year then went dark. Now the replacement won't find the local channels. Dish support says itmay be a s/w problem. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks

From your other post I'm thinking you have an antenna problem.

That was going to be my next question. I wondered if he had a rotor, or if perhaps not, the antenna was not correctly positioned or had gotten out of position. The correct bearing is important for these digital channels. However, I can receive a Fox station very well with the antenna is pointed in the exact opposite direction of the tower.

txswede,
You may want to double check your antenna direction and all the connections first. I think, based upon my experience with a 6000, that if the 8VSB tuner goes bad, the whole box won't work, so if you are getting Dish channels then I don't think the 8VSB is bad. I honestly have no idea what the problem could be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts