SCI FI And USA HD And Even BRAVO

Are they that strapped for cash? Sheesh...

Doesnt matter. Its nickels and dimes. Its the same reasoning that various airlines make when they do things like check out how much they could save by reducing the number of parsley leaves on dinner plates from 2 to 1. Seriously, they have people check out this kind of stuff.... and then do it. I forget the airline in this case but true story.

Since these are fairly new channels a lot of their content is going to be geared towards the old SD format, SciFi and Bravo probably don't even have upconverting equipment right now (thus SG-1 in SD even though it's 16x9).

And even if they did, the content would just look like TBS (grainy stretch-o-vision) or Cartoon Network (horribly wrong aspect ratios of 16x9 SD that are then stretched to 16x9 leading to what I like to call wide-widescreen).

Just give them time to create new content and everyone will be happy.

P.S. The commercials are in HD because even if the show you are watching is in SD, you are still watching an HD feed and you will see the content in the resolution it was produced in.

I think it is too much effort at this time to edit in commericals and such for 2 channels all the time, so they just send the SD broadcast over the HD. They probably do not want to pay to do it 2x.

In other words they are just not taking the HD seriously at this time. At least they could be showing all the 16:9 stuff zoomed if they do not have an HD transfer... But then wait they could not run some stupid banner accross it with some guys walking out advertising ghost hunters or something without it being distorted... more production costs to get all the overlays to look right...
What they *should* be doing, is make HD the default, with 16x9 content at full-screen and non-intrusive neutral-colored (not black) bars on the side if the content is 4x3. And downconvert THAT for the SD channel.

That way, the HD would always be at the best available quality, and the SD would always be letterboxed, getting users acclimated to when "everything" is HD.

What they *should* be doing, is make HD the default, with 16x9 content at full-screen and non-intrusive neutral-colored (not black) bars on the side if the content is 4x3. And downconvert THAT for the SD channel.

That way, the HD would always be at the best available quality, and the SD would always be letterboxed, getting users acclimated to when "everything" is HD.

Well right now their SD channels are in millions of households. How many people have SciFi HD? Tens of thousands? They are probably thinking about return on investment, how would prioritizing for HD benefit them in the here-and-now?

Sure, we HD satellite subscribers would appreciate it, but the majority of America wouldn't. So it may take some time for them to get to that point. Maybe it'll start going our way after Feb. '09 when analog dies, then everyone with a converter box will get used to digital and probably widescreen broadcasts from their locals and more and more people will make the switch to HD.

Yes but SciFi also has original movies, which if you are a fan of B-rated monster flicks are very entertaining. And just about all of their recent SciFi original movies are, in fact, in HD. :up

I don't watch SciFi as much, but USA HD is one of my favorite HD channels. Not only do they air their original programming in HD ("Monk," "Psych," "Burn Notice," etc.), they get HD reruns of their imported series as well ("NCIS," "Law & Order: SVU," "House," etc.). I watched "National Treasure" in HD last night, admittedly with commercials, but it's still nice, given all the channels that air all their movies in SD on the HD simulcast (WGN anyone?), I really enjoy USA's seeming commitment to HD

:up

Because they are B and C rated movies and good for lite viewing if you are a horror/scifi fan. I miss monster-HD :(
My DVR auto skips commercials

I hear you. Though I can't think of the last time I watched a movie on a regular channel with commercials and edited. That's why I liked V* so much and some of the premiums.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)