Scott, Any news on GolTV & E*?

You say " I don't know who is right or wrong" and then say who is wrong. :rolleyes:

I didn't imply (or didn't want to) that Dish was wrong, just said that if they had waited until the end of the season they would have had more fire power to deal with GolTV, maybe I should have added, "if Dish could wait and/or Dish cared to wait".

You probably are not considering:

- If GolTV's negotiators gave Dish Network the option to renew for one year on the same terms as before, they should be fired immediately. I'm sure they did not give Dish that option.
I'm surprised you don't even consider the possibility that sometimes even business people make wrong decisions.

- I'm sure Dish would have renewed GolTV, if GolTV had agreed to drop the channel from AT250 and only keep it in Dish Latino.
I'll just quote what LhasaApso said, "Not everyone who follows soccer in this country---and that would include the leagues that GOL TV carries, such as La Liga and the Bundesliga---speak primarily or exclusively Spanish. GOL TV is one network with a split audio feed (English and Spanish)."

All you people can say is "I want I want" and have no clue about business.
First at all, I don't think you can just throw that statement about people not having clue about business... Since we don't have all the facts (neither in favor nor against Dish/GolTv) everybody's opinion is as worth it as yours.
And I think everybody is also entitled to express their liking/disliking about Dish removing one of their favorite channels. I don't think removing channels happen every day (although Dish is making sure the list of removed channels keeps growing steadily).

In the meantime, as I said, they have lost another good customer to their competitors and I think that is a fact and that affects business. How much will D* get affected? I don't think we will ever know.

Cheers.
= P =

Gol TV is one of those make or break channels for many, especially in the latino world, that Charlie does not consider important. It's unfortunate but this is another reason why Dish keeps losing more and more customers.

Why, is the "La Liga on ESPN in the fall" rumor disproved ?

I just saw this:

GolTV Inks Multi-Year TV Rights Deal for Spain's La Liga through 2012:

MIAMI, March 18 /PRNewswire/ -- GolTV, the only live bilingual channel delivering 24/7 international soccer, has inked a multi-year TV rights deal for the U.S. and Canada for Spain's La Liga through 2012. The country's fastest growing all-soccer network has also secured four original shows offering in-depth coverage of La Liga's 20 club teams throughout the season, including world-renowned clubs FC Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Google for the full article, it seems like they don't let me post any internet address.

I think this is a really big slap on Dish's face if Dish expected GolTV to lose La Liga rights for future years.

Cheers.
= J =

It looks like - due to the recession - rather than investing in Soccer for the future - ESPN has instead decided to cut back on all money losing operations. So, the "ESPN Soccer Channel" with La Liga and EPL appears to be dead, and in fact, there are reports that UEFA Champions League will be on Fox Soccer Channel rather than ESPN next season (although apparently this will not be a done deal until next week).

Since this is all business (rather than personal, and even if it was, the 2008 head of Programming is no longer at Dish Network) - there is no reason that GolTV cannot be back on Dish Network in the fall, since they have managed to increase their customer value.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)