Scott - Eastern Arc confusion!?!

farmsatguy

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Jul 18, 2004
Middle of No Where!
Scott,

OK...as I understand it, the EA is for MPEG-4 receivers only. In the market I install in, we put in a D500 for the sub to get all the regular programming and standard def locals. When they order an HD receiver, we put in a 2nd dish for 61.5 to get HD (which includes the locals in HD) - we don't have to mess with 129 anymore unless the sub doesn't want HD locals. Pretty straight forward and I actually prefer this over the D1000.2 because of the higher elevation of 61.5 sat.

So with EA (ours is one of the 21 starting markets), if a sub orders a 722 we'll (eventually) put in the EA dish for them to get their programming. My question is this - if a sub orders a 722 and a 322, will they get the new EA setup or will they get the two 500's like we've been doing? The 322 is not MPEG-4 (I get a lot of this combination of installs) so I'm guessing no EA? Or, am I missing something. The folks in my office are debating this heavily so I figured I'd finally ask here to put this to bed (atleast in my mind).

Thanks in advance...

Why duplicate what you got now? Sounds like a waste of money to me.

In addition if your receivers are plugged into a phone line or network and your receivers phone home and report two different satellite setups you are a likely candidate for an audit from the Dish Network audit team.

Hold off on EA for now, don't waste your money. Your not getting anything which you are not getting now.

Why duplicate what you got now? Sounds like a waste of money to me.

In addition if your receivers are plugged into a phone line or network and your receivers phone home and report two different satellite setups you are a likely candidate for an audit from the Dish Network audit team.

Hold off on EA for now, don't waste your money. Your not getting anything which you are not getting now.

Sorry if I didn't explain what I was asking...I'm not trying to be like some of the crazy posts I've read here where all they want is the new dish just to say they have the new dish (and will DEMAND it from dish or else - blah, blah, blah). I agree; if what you have works, shut up and be happy with it!

I was referring to getting work orders from Dish - I've been an installer/subcontractor for 11 years and I'm just wondering what to expect. I realize that if a sub (a New Connect customer) orders just a 722 (or any other ViP), the work order will show the receiver and and EA Dish install. What I'm curious about is if a sub (meaning a NC or New Connect) orders a 722 AND a 322 will the work order still show two 20" dishes with the needed LNB's or will they get the EA dish on this work order. I'm guessing that the 322 will keep them with the 2 dish solution since the 322 is not MPEG-4. Personally, it doesn't really matter & I'll put in whaever is needed to get the customer up and running...just curious in advance of what I'll see sometime soon.

Thanks Again...

Sorry if I didn't explain what I was asking...I'm not trying to be like some of the crazy posts I've read here where all they want is the new dish just to say they have the new dish (and will DEMAND it from dish or else - blah, blah, blah). I agree; if what you have works, shut up and be happy with it!

I was referring to getting work orders from Dish - I've been an installer/subcontractor for 11 years and I'm just wondering what to expect. I realize that if a sub (a New Connect customer) orders just a 722 (or any other ViP), the work order will show the receiver and and EA Dish install. What I'm curious about is if a sub (meaning a NC or New Connect) orders a 722 AND a 322 will the work order still show two 20" dishes with the needed LNB's or will they get the EA dish on this work order. I'm guessing that the 322 will keep them with the 2 dish solution since the 322 is not MPEG-4. Personally, it doesn't really matter & I'll put in whaever is needed to get the customer up and running...just curious in advance of what I'll see sometime soon.

Thanks Again...

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Dish will probably authorize a 222 in the place of a 322 for new EA customers.

It will be up to the installer if he installs a customer on EA or WA. The installer will make the call based on what is easier to install. :)

If the purpose in doing EA is to start eliminating MPEG2 equipment from new installs in those select markets, why would Dish even permit a 322 to be installed? Wouldn't they want all new subs to have 100% MPEG4 equipment going forward? Or are they still going to differentiate between SD and HD subs?

You would think that DISH would be more forward thinking in making all their future installs mpeg 4 only. THis would be much cheaper than having to go back and change out all existing receivers for mpeg 4 ones later. Then again it makes me wonder if they will ever change the western arc-110/119/129 to true mpeg 4 anytime soon. They will use the mpeg 4 eastern arc for most cutting edge subs who want hd and use the western arc for those average Joe -6pack who still just want sd only. I think that they need to stream line their whole receiver operation and cut it down to just a few boxes and cut out the old ones , so they wouldn't have to support them software wise. THen there is all those new receivers they keep coming out with EACH year. Just make all new advancements plug and play modules. IF you want two ota tuners you buy the module , if you want sling blade capability -add a module, etc. I don't see why they keep making another receiver to support. THey had the right idea in letting subs add their own external hard drives. They get the 39.99 and you can add more space for your hard drive to archive etc.

Then almost all of our sales partners must not have gotten the memo, Scott. We're having to postpone jobs due to a HUGE 625 shortage. Now if we were allowed to convert those 625 jobs to 722...with no HD enabling fee either...then I would buy into what you're saying.

With all due respect to Scott and this wonderful site, I think there has been waaaaay too big of a deal made about Eastern Arc. Others may disagree but IMHO Eastern Arc was created to address line of site issues. Nothing more, nothing less.

From memory according to the retailer chat all DHA installs are now going to be MPEG4 only.

Will that mean that all mpeg 4 receivers like the 622/722/612/212/222 will be charged the 7.00 hd enabeling fee if they don't want hd? I mean that will be a turn off to some new subs who only want sd channels.

With all due respect to Scott and this wonderful site, I think there has been waaaaay too big of a deal made about Eastern Arc. Others may disagree but IMHO Eastern Arc was created to address line of site issues. Nothing more, nothing less.

Actually I think it is the first step in going all mpeg 4 for DISH for everything. Directv is doing the same thing. They are both moving to the new mpeg 4 system because it means more bandwith in the same amount of existing space ,without a loss of pq . You can fit upto 7 hd channels on 1 transponder in hd, and upto 30 sd channels on 1 transponder in mpeg 4. This means more hd channels added without adding more satellites to do it. HD is the future and so is mpeg 4. Eventually in about 3 or 4 years the entire sat system should be mpeg 4 whether the eastern arc or western arc. Right now they have a complete duplicate of 110/119 at the eastern arc, using existing satellites like 61.5 and the older echostar statellite moved to 72.7, but in total mpeg 4. Everything is duplicated. This also means one dish installations on the entire country eventually. This makes DISH more competitive with Directv with their one dish solution. This is big and I am excited about it myself.

Please tell me why Dish is still installing mpeg2 receivers? ARE THEY THAT STUPID? Really, they are not installing 322 on new installs are they.

It's been posted elsewhere that Dish will be moving to making all new equipment installs MPEG-4 capable.

And I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that they won't be charging that HD enabling fee to SD only customers anymore, if the SD customer's box is MPEG-4 by Dish's decision.

Last edited:
It's been posted elsewhere that Dish will be moving to making all new equipment installs MPEG-4 capable.

And I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that they won't be charging that HD enabling fee to SD only customers anymore, if the SD customer's box is MPEG-4 by Dish's decision.

Come on this is DISH we are talking about. I bet that they charge the hd enabeling fee anyway. At least until the customer complains why am I being charged another 7.00 for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)