Scott: Question about HD Locals

darrencp22

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Lockport, NY (Buffalo Suburb)
Hi Scott,

Do you have any ideas when Dish will be adding HD locals to mroe markets.. I'm specifically curious about Buffalo.

To those who will inevitably post about why not use an OTA. I tried several and onyl get a few stations where I live. Plus, I dont really think I should have to fuss with one when both cable and directv provide.

Dish Network, get on the ball here. 90% of the good HD programming beginning in the fall are on locals.

Dish Network, get on the ball here. 90% of the good HD programming beginning in the fall are on locals.

It's a two way street...what the locals want to charge, and what Dish wants to pay. It's not a matter of just not doing it.

That's why competition is there. If it skyrocketed, I'll jump over to DirecTV which despite what people seem to think is not that much more $ than Dish. Especially when you take into account that I need to pay an extra 10$ a month to get Versus (the only channel I want in that tier) and $20 for HD.

darrencp22,

The picture quality of OTA HD locals is noticeably better than anything you get over satellite or cable. I live 42 miles from the southtowns towers and receive them wonderfully well. Grand Island stations are only 7 or 8 miles from me as the crow flies so those are cake.

Fuss? Plug the antenna coax into the VIP622 and scan channels. Done.

I'm in Sanborn (between Niagara Falls and Lockport). Antenna was well worth the small amount of effort it took. Maybe I can help if you've a mind to go in that direction.

and no, I don't sell them or anything like that.

I'm in north lockport (near newfane on 104). I tried two diff indoor antennas that have very good user reviews. The best I can get is fox, WB, CW and PBS. I can not get CBS, NBC, or ABC. I already have two dishes on my roof. I"m not a huge fan of adding a third thing up there... back to my gripe.. with DirectTV all I would need is a single dish rather than 3 seperate messes up there.. i'm stuck in a contract tho, so they have me trapped. The installer gave me the whole sale on being the HD leader, blah blah.. but neglected to mention locals are not carried on the "HD leader"

Do you use an indoor antenna? Where my TV is, and the window next to it, faces north, away from the towers. MY current antenna: RadioShack.com - Home Entertainment: Accessories: Antennas: Outdoor: HDTV Outdoor/Indoor Antenna

before adding any new markets,how about expanding past the big 4 nets.,and adding pbs,cw,etc to the markets already receiving hd.which is most of the U.S. tv watching audience.

darrencp22
Well, you wouldnt get ALL of your HD locals from direct either. Our channel 4/CBS is owned by LIN TV and they won't deal with the satellite companies. Direct does not have channel 4.
Maybe Dish was trying to be able to offer all of our hd locals at the same time.
The silver sensor works on my sons and our bedroom tvs upstairs but cuts in and out on our set downstairs. We have the channelmaster 4428 mounted on our back yard storage shed and even though we have a rotor we dont usually have to because we watch a lot of CBS.

edited to add... we had a radioshack antenna before and it did not work well for us.

Time warner doesnt offer much in the way of HD here and channels up to 99 are analog...... no contest in my book even if I do need an antenna.

...To those who will inevitably post about why not use an OTA. I tried several and onyl get a few stations where I live. Plus, I dont really think I should have to fuss with one when both cable and directv provide.

Well you got your answer.

Dish depends on their subscribers who CAN get OTA HD locals to not only do so, but to hammer those of us who CAN NOT and have the temerity to ask when we might be able to get HD locals via the satellite service we pay for monthly :(

BTW Try living in a narrow valley surrounded by 200'+ hills, THEN tell me how much better the OTA locals are and why you really don't need/want them via sateliite. FWIW that's why I subscribed to satellite TV in the first place - DUH.

Talon Dancer

p.s. I'd trade 10 new national HD channels for my HD locals in a heart beat of a humming bird. And will do so as soon as my DISH subscription expires.

So nobody has an answer to the original question as to when Dish might be offering Buffalo Locals in HD...it is unlikely that they want to wait to provide all, as I'm in San Antonio and we have 3 of the for nets (as NBC is being a pisser down here and won't deal with Dish or the other way around...). My folks live 2 hours away from buffalo and Rochester and have NO OTA chances at all and when they took away WCBS-HD it was very disappointing for them. Dish had Buffalo on their list to provide HD in 2006 and were almost 3 quarters thru 2007....very sad...I feel sorry for my folks and am not looking as forward to my trip back at the holidays because I know I will be missing some good football in HD!

So nobody has an answer to the original question as to when Dish might be offering Buffalo Locals in HD...it is unlikely that they want to wait to provide all, as I'm in San Antonio and we have 3 of the for nets (as NBC is being a pisser down here and won't deal with Dish or the other way around...). My folks live 2 hours away from buffalo and Rochester and have NO OTA chances at all and when they took away WCBS-HD it was very disappointing for them. Dish had Buffalo on their list to provide HD in 2006 and were almost 3 quarters thru 2007....very sad...I feel sorry for my folks and am not looking as forward to my trip back at the holidays because I know I will be missing some good football in HD!

There are always ways to get your locals if you can't via OTA. Search around for moving. You'll probably find tons of threads.

The only way I see Dish adding more HD LiL markets for the time being is if they fit on an unused spot beam, or perhaps 118.7. 61.5/129 are pretty much at capacity and remaining space headed for national HD channels.

Dish has had 2 satellites waiting to be launched and both have launch delays (not Dish's fault the satellite launch before theirs failed). They were to have 2 satellites up by the end of the year to start service, but they are delayed to next year. Once those 2 satellites are up, I expect them to be able to offer more HD nationals and locals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts